telling which photo was taken with FF or MFT or CROP

It's funny though ( and I was guilty of having this attitude myself ) there are so many photographers who must have a FF camera, and the greatest lenses in the world, and if they don't then their pictures just won't be any good.

I wouldn't put myself in that camp as although I have a FF camera a lot of my pictures have been taken with old film era lenses which although good enough for me can't stand comparison to results possible with modern lenses.

I grew up with film and most of my cameras took 35mm film and I understood things in 35mm film terms and when I got my first DSLR it took quite a while to get used to it and realise that 28mm didn't look like 28mm any more. Although I've been digital for years now I still think in 35mm terms and I still convert things to 35mm equivalence so using my FF A7 saves me a little mental arithmetic. Younger people may not have that problem.

On a similar note [I was going to post in my Sony A7 > X-E2 thread] I'll add this very un-scientific comparison from today. Both shots seconds apart, imported to LR with my usual, initial preset & matching WB settings. No individual adjustments whatsoever. Then resized in CS6. This was more for my own interest of the Fuji replacing the A7 & still giving me a ''similar'' look to the images. I done the same with the FE25/2.8 & the XF23/1.4 ;)

X-E2 & XF56/1.2 @ f/1.2

vs

A7 & FD85/1.8 @ f2

by Lee, on Flickr

Yes, at 100% in LR there is a difference obviously ;)

When comparing different size sensors from the same generation and technology :)

BTW, are you sharpening your Fuji files in Adobe per chance?
True, hence the first part of my post and 'technically', I use a Canon FF and happy to admit they're way behind the curve on sensor quality compared to Sony.
I do sharpen in LR, read a few things on the weird Fuji sharpening so I know that's not down to sensor size, but a good example of how we can't make comparisons and think the difference we see is due to the size of the sensor rather than a combination of all the other variables.

I'm not convinced that DR is so much dependant on sensor size so much these days. Just look at the Nikon APS-C's such as the D7200, has better DR than most (if not all) current Canon FF and some current Nikon FF.
It's difficult to say, because the sensor size should give certain benefits but other factors can outweigh that, as well as people having subjective opinions on the images some cameras put out, means that a modern well implemented crop sensor can produce equal or better results than a FF.

On a similar note [I was going to post in my Sony A7 > X-E2 thread] I'll add this very un-scientific comparison from today. Both shots seconds apart, imported to LR with my usual, initial preset & matching WB settings. No individual adjustments whatsoever. Then resized in CS6. This was more for my own interest of the Fuji replacing the A7 & still giving me a ''similar'' look to the images. I done the same with the FE25/2.8 & the XF23/1.4 ;)

X-E2 & XF56/1.2 @ f/1.2

vs

A7 & FD85/1.8 @ f2

by Lee, on Flickr

Might not be the best example TBH as I can see an obvious difference just viewing on my iphone let alone on a computer. And whilst the bottom one looks sharper to me I actually prefer the aesthetics of the top one. Please don't tell me the top one is the Sony ;)

Talking of viewing in the iPhone, this brings me to another thing that will influence the images, viewing medium, devices and software. They can all influence the final image, even just viewing on Safari compared to Chrome there's often a difference, let alone Mac vs PC.

I do sharpen in LR, read a few things on the weird Fuji sharpening so I know that's not down to sensor size, but a good example of how we can't make comparisons and think the difference we see is due to the size of the sensor rather than a combination of all the other variables.
Very true, the detail I can get from Fuji files using aperture compared to Lightroom is quite incredible at times (landscapes mainly, particularly with rocks, stones and foliage), whereas I prefer the rendering LR gives for people.

Might not be the best example TBH as I can see an obvious difference just viewing on my iphone let alone on a computer. And whilst the bottom one looks sharper to me I actually prefer the aesthetics of the top one. Please don't tell me the top one is the Sony ;)

Talking of viewing in the iPhone, this brings me to another thing that will influence the images, viewing medium, devices and software. They can all influence the final image, even just viewing on Safari compared to Chrome there's often a difference, let alone Mac vs PC.

I took this example because car meets and general walkabout and family everyday life are what I photograph personally.

And yes, the top one is the A7. And they do both have my "Sony" Lightroom preset applied.

X-E2 & XF56/1.2 @ f/1.2

vs

A7 & FD85/1.8 @ f2

by Lee, on Flickr

I know you've acknowledged that this is unscientific anyway, but this shot is pretty standard and wouldn't highlight much in the way differences anyway, even probably with a 1" sensor.

It's shots with heavily pulled shadows / highlights, low light, high ISO and shallow dof (barring equivalencies) that show the format differences.

Last edited:
I took this example because car meets and general walkabout and family everyday life are what I photograph personally.

And yes, the top one is the A7. And they do both have my "Sony" Lightroom preset applied.

Sorry, what I meant by not the best example was that there are more obvious differences between the images, whereas the previous comparison the differences were much more subtle, to my eyes anyway ;) That being said, you could argue that it actually is a good example as I would have said that the bottom image was Sony as it looks sharper on my screen. Quite gutted I prefer the Sony image :LOL: Although in truth I think it might be more to do with the WB ;)

Back