Beginner Temperamental Canon 70d

Name
Lesley
Edit My Images
No
a couple of months ago I wrote that I had had problems with my Canon 70D - kept getting error 20 so sent it back to Canon as it was still under a two year warranty and they replaced the shutter. A couple of weeks ago, in cold damp weather, I got the error 20 message but once the temperature had gone up a bit it worked perfectly well. Now today I have had another problem with it. This time on holiday in Kolkata, India. When I powered it up, there was a bit of condensation which I put down to coming from an air conditioned car to the heat and humidity. Waited a few minutes until it adjusted but later on, as the temperature got up to around 37 degrees, the camera began to stick. Found a workaround by switching the mode dial to the next programme and back to auto and I could actually hear the shutter release itself. This happened a couple of times. I took up the offer of an extended warranted just before the Canon one ran out and will probably be taking it back to Curry’s when I get home but my question is, has anyone else had a problem like this (with any dslr) or have I just been unlucky or unrealistic in expecting it to work in such conditions.

Sounds like a lemon. My guess is that there is something faulty with the electronics as in general Canon cameras are very reliable.

As you've got a warranty I'd go with that first, but I've brought a 7D back to life before by sticking it in a plastic box with lots of rice. Obviously go careful, you don't want any rice/dust getting into the camera.

It worked fine and I had no problems at all with it until January (nearly 2 years old by then) and I tried a new lens. It had been stored next to a cold spot in the house for a couple of months. Then once it came back from Canon, it went a bit haywire in cold damp weather. It just seems to like nice warm heat. Not too cold and not too hot. I have had a fiddle about this afternoon re-setting a few things as it seemed to have stuck on the video setting and I couldn’t see through the viewfinder. Everything was being shoved through the digital screen. Flicked a switch and that seemed to do the trick. If I have anymore problems it will definitely be getting seen to. In the meantime I have my phone and iPad as a backup.

Last edited:
Well I have to say the camera got through it’s trip to the Himalayas better than I did. It didn’t get pointed at Everest but I did pick up the 3rd, 4th and 5th highest mountains in the world in a cluster in the distance. Will have to wait until I get home and get the snaps on a computer before deciding if they were worth it but, no matter, it was well worth the mountain sickness and chest infection I developed at the same time just to have the opportunity.

Last edited:
Back