Ten days scenic trip to Switzerland and possibly Northern Italy as well

Contact them and tell them to reserve a EU registered car for you, or ask if they have an alternative solution to that problem. By now Avis Switzerland will have a solution if they know in advance.
I plan to call them tomorrow.........Sunday everything in Switzerland is closed

Ruth
We live in Malaysia, and my wife's IDL was issued in Thailand. It is valid until August 2016

Aha!!
Sorry, it was just a thought. :)

Me and Mr Kelack spent 8 days on Lake Luzern in April. We drove all the way from the UK. We did quite a lot

Day 1 - Zürich for a very wet Sechseläuten!
Day 2 - Engelberg and Titlis then to Brunnen
Day 3 - Lauterbrunnen to see Trummelbach Falls then Grindelwald to get train to Eiger, Jungfrau and Mönch
Day 4 - Rigi & Pilatus
Day 5 - Zürich & Uetliberg
Day 6 - Luzern boat trip

I would definitely recommend Lauterbrunnen if I had to pick one. Although the whole trip was amazing and now I hope my husband has the same love for Switzerland as I have

We got our vignette at the Swiss border which was 40CHF and essential if you plan to drive on the motorways.

I'm in Zürich every 6 weeks on business. Absolutely love the place.

Take a bloody mains adapter! I had to hastily borrow one last week, for my laptop when I was about to give a presentation to a customer. Silly me.
Swiss sockets are different from UK, Italian and German ones.
electricity-tiles-type-J-200-px.jpg

Last edited:
I plan to call them tomorrow.........Sunday everything in Switzerland is closed

That's partly a myth - airports and train stations are open so the hire places will be too. I wish it was true then I would not be dragged along shoe shopping ;)
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1465129695.579505.jpg

Take a bloody mains adapter! I had to hastily borrow one last week, for my laptop when I was about to give a presentation to a customer. Silly me.
Swiss sockets are different from UK, Italian and German ones.
electricity-tiles-type-J-200-px.jpg

You can buy or make a British 13 amp extension lead with a male IEC socket. Then just buy a kettle lead in each new country.

Euro shutzkontakt (Shuko), Swiss J and US Nema type plugs with a female IEC are readily available for a couple of pounds.

What about phone SIM cards. I have a O2 sim card that I use in the UK when I am in the UK, and I have my Malaysian SIM card that has international romancing..... do you think it would be better getting one in Switzerland ??

I just use mine and get a data bundle off EE. Not sure if O2 do one. Depends what you want to use it for. I only use mine when there on business so I can keep in touch with home. When we went for holiday, I didn't use it. I was on holiday, the idea was to be away from it all at home.

The only thing I can think I would use it for is calling hotels to see if hey have available rooms. Once in a hotel use there wifi to call out

Anyone have any experience taking a car into downtown Venice and parking at a hotel or B&B ??
Were planning to stay there two nights so that's the need for taking the car into town, as I like to wake up early so would like to shoot around town early morning

Last edited:
I've parked in the multi storey car park at the edge of town. In Venice you won't have much need of a car. Unless it is one of those amphibian ones. Parking there is not cheap though. A park and ride option further away might be cheaper.

Last edited:
I've parked in the multi storey car park at the edge of town. In Venice you won't have much need of a car. Unless it is one of those amphibian ones. Parking there is not cheap though. A park and ride option further away might be cheaper.
Cheers Carl
I'm thinking San Polo or Dorsoduro for a hotel room for the two nights and just take a small bag with clothes for two days and the camera gear and leave the rest in the car

I just went ahead and book a hotel in Venice as I am worried about inflated prices............nothing fancy, but fantastic write ups and very sentral

Guess I don't need to worry about my uk drivers licence now...... Lol
I hope I don't now need a visa to go to Switzerland

Depending upon which route you take, you can take the E62 & cross the Simplon Pass between Brig in Switzerland and Domodossola in Northern Italy . It is a great drive with fantastic scenery, there was snow on the top when we drove across it a couple of weeks ago, it's a good route to get to/from the Italian Lakes.

Alternatively Thun & the Interlaken area are worth seeing, you can take a boat trip from Interlaken to Thun & return by rail. There are a couple of rack railways which take you up the mountains with fantastic views. You can get a train from Visp to visit Zermatt too.
Last September I took the train from Domodossola over the mountain to Switzerland and Lake Maggiore. The mountain ride was fantastic with places to get off and back on and then we hopped onto a boat at Locarno, got off in Ascona, which has some great places to shoot and then back on the boat for a ride to Baveno in Italy. £35 for the round trip from Baveno.
Some shots on my Flickr page

Lovely shots. If you fancy Italy again try Tuscany region. Florence especially is incredibly aesthetic

Back