Non UK Tenerife

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
[Censored] Fruitcake Bat
Edit My Images
No
All things except the car already booked up for the end of the month. I've been there once but I'm sure I missed a lot of things I'd like to try this time.

I'm just looking for pointers and any interesting locations around the north / east coast and cliffs in particular.

If anyone climbed Teide I'd love to hear from you too. I'd fancy the sunrise (or sunset?) over there as long as it's not crazy icy or 100mph winds this time of year. I've been on quite a few mountains in Scotland (one or two in the winter too) and a couple in Switzerland, so the 1.5km ascent doesn't bother me. but the final altitude of 3.7km after no adaptation does a little bit.

Finally I'm looking for a location to shoot Teide peak at sunrise from somewhere above the fog level (so around 2km). I'd love to have the whole thing - forest and cliffs - going all the way to the sea level if it's visible.

Thanks.

Bloody great place.

Most people wouldn't 'climb' Teide but would get the cable car. The cable car only operates during certain times but they do sometimes do special sunset ones. You can get right to the base of Teide where you're still very high up - but I'm not sure if you could climb it or not. It takes about an hour to drive up there from Los Cristianos. Even if you do get the cable car up, you need special written permission or a permit (I believe) to go up to the very top.

Go up to Los Gigantes and Masca (think they're better at sunset but not 100% sure.

Lots of rocky coast to photograph if that's your kind of thing.

Just spotted this thread as I was about to post one......................so hopefully OK to tag along :)

A well as places to visit (wildlife and scenic) I would welcome any insights as to places to stay that are not too built up and packed.

We do like the quieter places, no need or interest in nightclubs and late night revellers :LOL: If you know Gran Canaria we have been to Puerto de Mogan and that was great ~ so looking for similar to that but on Tenerife. If Gran Canaria was that bit more verdant we would go again but looking at & for greater "interest" than dry & arid places ;)

I would welcome any insights as to places to stay that are not too built up and packed.

We do like the quieter places, no need or interest in nightclubs and late night revellers :LOL:

Can't help with a suggestion for a quiet place but you may want to avoid Playa de las Americas, if you're familiar with Playa del Ingles on Gran Canaria, imagine it but on steroids:cool:

laurel park for grey back gorrilas and the red pandas plus loads of other wildlife

Pico del Teide is part of my work for disaster mitigation around the UN decade volcanoes, hence most shots are uninteresting geological detail/record images.

This one was shot from TF-1 near Santiago del Teide:

39866742783_f5463e78ab_b.jpg

And this one from TF-21 when crossing the lava field toward the cable car station.

46106729784_8f8eb35e73_b.jpg

GC

Can't help with a suggestion for a quiet place but you may want to avoid Playa de las Americas, if you're familiar with Playa del Ingles on Gran Canaria, imagine it but on steroids:cool:

My worst nightmare :(

Not that small place entertainment is not welcome, we stayed in Sare in southern France one year and it had a one off village event that went on until 2am. It was as I recall colourful and entertaining :)

laurel park for grey back gorrilas and the red pandas plus loads of other wildlife

ZP's if like the one on Jersey are worth a visit..........but I was hoping for nature reserves/trails......maybe even where hides might be good to visit. Plus any cetacean cruises (with a reasonable certainly of sightings? ;) )

Last edited:
plenty of boat trips will take you to Los Gigantes you will probably see pods of dolphins and pilot whales

I'd recommend Anaga mountains in the north. It has a more lively landscape with lots of vegetation compared to other areas. Rough cliffs are also nearby.

Not quite Tenerife but La Palma which is near by. We drove to the top of La Palma at night to view the night sky and it was simply breathtaking (over 7000ft ). Not sure if you can drive up to the top of Tenerife but if you can get near the top i'm sure the views would be equally spectacular. These were some of my first attempts at shooting the night sky.

The Milky way, shot taken near Roque de los Muchachos at approx 7000 feet by Paul, on Flickr

Sunset above the clouds at 7000 feet by Paul, on Flickr

My worst nightmare :(

Not that small place entertainment is not welcome, we stayed in Sare in southern France one year and it had a one off village event that went on until 2am. It was as I recall colourful and entertaining :)

ZP's if like the one on Jersey are worth a visit..........but I was hoping for nature reserves/trails......maybe even where hides might be good to visit. Plus any cetacean cruises (with a reasonable certainly of sightings? ;) )

I did a dolphin/whale watching cruise last June from Los Cristianos in Tenerife and saw both, really close up. The tour operator was promising a 99% chance of seeing dolphins.

I'm back. Weather was so so in the North most days so that limited what I could do somewhat. First two days were certainly the best. I think I got some good ones around Teide, forest and Masca so will just get on with the editing and post a few.

Back