Tesco enabling copyright infringements

Or did when you delivered them.

Steve.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least that if questioned about copyright, most clients would simply 'yes, it's mine' while honestly believing that to be true.

They paid the photographer. They're actually in the picture/s. The photographer handed them over. So of course it's mine.

What happens if I got to Tesco with a family portrait that I took and got printed at DSCL with a copyright warning on the back and they refuse to do anything with it unless I can prove I own the image. How do I prove I own the image? I'd be on this forum moaning about Tesco and then there'd be a link to Tesco in almost every post...

What happens if I got to Tesco with a family portrait that I took and got printed at DSCL with a copyright warning on the back and they refuse to do anything with it unless I can prove I own the image. How do I prove I own the image? I'd be on this forum moaning about Tesco and then there'd be a link to Tesco in almost every post...

If that was me in your scenario, I'd simply prove the image was mine
But if it was me generally wanting a canvas of my shot, I'd take the digital file instead. Seems simple enough

But how do your prove an image is yours?

This^

No matter how much the OP thinks this is a straightforward process, I have seen long and convoluted internet debates about proof of ownership from people who understand photography. Try getting your average shopworker to understand how proof of ownership could be established would be an exercise in futility.

At the end of the day, Tesco asked the customer a question, they lied - how many more question / lie cycles would be prudent?

As people say the only real way 100% round it is to change your business model so if someone runs of however many copies you've already made what you need to make off the one that you did sell.

Find it a bit odd that Costco wanted you to bring the camera in to show them... would probably put me off using them again if I had to lug my camera gear about just to get a print.

... charge a price where you don't care what the customer does

I would have to agree with this.

I'm amazed at the number of print orders I get from some clients who already know I'm supplying all the image files on disk. If people want to be sneaky they will be.

I'm also amazed at the poor quality people are happy with - I received a photobox thank you card from a client with one of my photos on the front. Max available size on my website is something like 800px on the longest edge (for sharing on here and other forums). I have a small watermark in bottom left which they also cropped out. The quality was poor but the image could easily be interpreted.

I do have one question though; you see big brands (non-photography) chasing infringement on the grounds that to protect their brand they need to be seen to be protecting it - does this apply to photographic works as well? (Or am I getting confused between copywrite and trademarks?).

Perhaps I should be caring - regardless of price - on principle?

I would have to agree with this.

I'm amazed at the number of print orders I get from some clients who already know I'm supplying all the image files on disk. If people want to be sneaky they will be.

I'm also amazed at the poor quality people are happy with - I received a photobox thank you card from a client with one of my photos on the front. Max available size on my website is something like 800px on the longest edge (for sharing on here and other forums). I have a small watermark in bottom left which they also cropped out. The quality was poor but the image could easily be interpreted.

I do have one question though; you see big brands (non-photography) chasing infringement on the grounds that to protect their brand they need to be seen to be protecting it - does this apply to photographic works as well? (Or am I getting confused between copywrite and trademarks?).

Perhaps I should be caring - regardless of price - on principle?

I believe it's trademarks that you have a legal duty to protect or risk losing the trademark.

Back