Tesco

Defiance

Green and Hairy
Edit My Images
Yes
I had an unusual experience this week - outstanding customer service !!

I know that Tesco are sometimes criticised because of their size and power, but I have to say their customer service is absolutely superb.

I won't go into much detail, but I bought an expensiveAcer laptop for my wife which suffered a large screen housing crack at 15 months old, 2 months out of warranty, caused by a design/manufacturing defect. I rung Acer who were worse than useless and refused to consider any contribution.

I called Tesco Electrical helpline as they sold it, and they were very friendly, listened, and rung Acer too and found them equally useless :bat: They suggested I call their main customer service number and request a claim form. I rung and was again handled by a very polite person in an english call centre who sent me the form.

I completed the form and sent it to Tesco last Monday with photos etc. I got a letter back on Thursday morning offering me 75% of the value back and I could keep the laptop (which does still work). This morning I got the cheque.

Not sure why I'm posting this really, I think I'm just unbeleivably impressed with Tesco, a British company, employing British people, providing first class service :clap: It also shows what you get when you ask !

Last edited:
Put it in the Anti Rant Thread :D

Glad to hear you had a good experience (y)

That is rather damn good customer service. If it was definitely a design / manufacturing fault, then you may have had similar success through the courts, but maybe got alot less (due to you already having had 15 months use / value out of it).

Now, if only I can get Canon to fix my camera for free :D
Wanna help? :p

PS. Moving to Shopping, and retailers :)

With all the "rip-off's" and disgruntled customers around at the moment its nice to hear of a positive friendly result (y)

Makes a change to have english people in call centre!! Good on 'em!

Don't care which damn country they're in so long as their operatives can speak decent english. Which rules out a fair few of the ones in this country.

Great news that you got treated so well and a big :clap: for Tesco

How refreshing (y)

That is rather damn good customer service. If it was definitely a design / manufacturing fault, then you may have had similar success through the courts, but maybe got alot less (due to you already having had 15 months use / value out of it).

Now, if only I can get Canon to fix my camera for free :D
Wanna help? :p

I always find it's best to be ultra-polite, be able to prove it's defective goods, know the Sale of Goods Act and/or the Consumer Credit Act, and be reasonable in what you ask for.

As for Canon, I find manufacturers either useless, like Acer, or very helpful, but never anything in between. But it's the retailer who bears legal responsibility regardless of warranty or liability for the defect.

PS. Moving to Shopping, and retailers :)

Ahhh that's where it went :D was going to have a rant about a deleted thread ;)

I always find it's best to be ultra-polite, be able to prove it's defective goods, know the Sale of Goods Act and/or the Consumer Credit Act, and be reasonable in what you ask for.

As for Canon, I find manufacturers either useless, like Acer, or very helpful, but never anything in between. But it's the retailer who bears legal responsibility regardless of warranty or liability for the defect.

Ahhh that's where it went :D was going to have a rant about a deleted thread ;)

True but if bought on credit - card or otherwise- the finance company are equally responsible, so wiser to buy on credit than cash and pay off asap.

Sorry for the slight hi-jack
but we had a problem with an Acer, just about inside warrenty by less that an week
we bought from Staples sorry didn't mean to name them :D
upshot one hell of a job to get a repair sorted even to the point
"Oh by the time it reaches Acer's repair dept it will be out of warrenty as
we only ship once a week and you just missed the dead-line"
WTF??????
It got sorted I assure you :D

Sorry for the slight hi-jack
but we had a problem with an Acer, just about inside warrenty by less that an week
we bought from Staples sorry didn't mean to name them :D
upshot one hell of a job to get a repair sorted even to the point
"Oh by the time it reaches Acer's repair dept it will be out of warrenty as
we only ship once a week and you just missed the dead-line"
WTF??????
It got sorted I assure you :D

No probs :D It shows how hard it can be today to find big companies willing to provide even normal levels of customer service.

Glad you got it sorted. (y)

I bought some furniture items from Tesco in January, they are very good about contacting you re delivery date, but the delivery did not arrive when they said it would. After a bit of faffing around I found who the delivery people were (tesco subbed it to one company who subbed it to another who subbed it to a third) got in touch and they said oohh aahh well we might be able to deliver them on monday maybe (this was friday a.m.) No good I said I won't be here. Phoned Tesco again and said sorry I'll have to cancel, they said no probs and refunded at once.
A couple of hours later up pops the van with my furniture! so I call them again and say can you stop the refund, they say no but don't worry, take your time, check it over properly and make sure you're happy with it then call us back with yoiur cc details and we'll re-charge you. I did and I did, the guy says nah don't need your details, we still have them. They never did charge me back, I was worried for a while but have bought from them since and no mention of it.

Upshot, very pleasant attitude from all their service people, very helpful and free furniture! :)

Back