Test strip makers

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
I've just came across this, looks interesting, never seen one before though. Wondered if anyones used one?

Theres always this type too

Have got and used both. Not a great deal better than the method I used when I started over half a century ago of covering a strip step by step, using the paper packet to block the light and counting, thousand one, thousand two ....

One thing that was useful was a device that moved the paper under a slot so that you exposed the same part of the image for different times.

Last edited:
I used the Paterson type when I had a darkroom set up, it’s useful but as dmb said, it’s just as simple to use something to expose the paper in stages like a pice of card or a box.

Assuming that I’m understanding the use of these items, I really can’t see any benefit over exposing the sheet ( or part sheet) for (eg 6 secs) then covering with card in segments ( like dmb mentioned ) and exposing additional sections (strips) in increments ( eg 3 secs)

Just another gimmick imo

I've still got my Kodak version somewhere. I only used it for those awkward negatives where the exposure was different at two or more important areas. It was a useful guide for dodging.

Card works just as well, and you can modify the size of the test strip to suit the print whereas with the gadgets they're always the same size. (ie, a 24x16 print i'd want a substantially bigger test strip than I would a 7x5 print). Only slight benefit is you dont run the risk of moving the paper by catching it with the card, and because the guides touch the paper you'll get more obvious lines in the test print.

The projection one did come in handy when working out an exposure time for my turmeric anthotypes, not sure I'd have wanted to count up to 3600 seconds. IMG_20200524_193033_resize_25.jpg

Card works just as well,
Not in my experience. When I was doing press work I often had an hour or so to knock out prints from a dozen or more shots. I sliced a few sheets from the current box of 10x8 into 4 and put them back in the box. If a neg looked "iffy" on the baseboard I just fished out one of the sliced sheets, dropped the filter sheet on top and gave it a minute, Out of the dish and under the white light, the correct exposure and any dodging was obvious. Well worth the £1 I paid the local dealer for it. ;)

Back