Tester's wanted, File Search and Copy Application (Windows OS) - Application hosted on Sourceforge

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
In one of the forum posts a member was asking about copying files to a selected location as a batch type job. I had an existing application that detected duplicate files, I have now modified that app to provide comprehensive file search and copy capabilities. The application is called FSTDFC which stands for File Search To Date Folder Copy, and provides a means of copying matched files (specify extension, defaults to all) to a selected location. Optionally the output folder can have a date structure linked to the copied files. There is also an option while carrying out the search to detect duplicates, which if found are listed in a text file.
Appreciate all feedback good or bad, this the first beta version, I will add other options if there's an audience for it and can be implemented.
The application is available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fstdfc/

Stuart

Nice work :)

Couple of immediate observations.....
  1. Once I had selected the input folder it wasn't immediately obvious that I had to scan it before I could select the output
  2. It seems to leave files littered over my hard drive...there's a log.txt, a filelist and a folderlist - these are in the source folder. I'd prefer an option NOT to write to sourcefolder and also to tidy up

Nice work :)

Couple of immediate observations.....
  1. Once I had selected the input folder it wasn't immediately obvious that I had to scan it before I could select the output
  2. It seems to leave files littered over my hard drive...there's a log.txt, a filelist and a folderlist - these are in the source folder. I'd prefer an option NOT to write to sourcefolder and also to tidy up

Thanks for the feedback, the created files will only be in the directory where the app is launched from.

FileList.txt is the list of files that matched the search criteria
folderlist.txt stores the list of directories to be searched
log.txt will shows any errors encountered during the copy process
duplicates.txt is a list of files that have a duplicate, each line lists two files

I will investigate using internal variables to hold the data and provide a means of writing the files to disk if the user needs them.

Stuart

Version 0.2 uploaded to Sourceforge
No files are created for "Matched file list", "Duplicates Detected" and "Log Messages" unless requested by the user.

Stuart

Back