Review Testing New Profoto OCF 2' Silver Soft light vs the Standard Silver Soft Light • Part 1: Options

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

Shooting conditions
— Mid tone grey BG paper
— Profoto B1 light source positioned to optimize the respective
differences between the tested options
— All SOOC and uncropped
— for clarity,I asked my son, Olivier, to frame so to recognize
the used modifier at the top of the image

Profoto metal softlight
1, with its original metal deflector and optional frosted dome

BD%20Metal01pp.jpg

2, with optional glass deflector and optional frosted dome

BD%20Metal02pp.jpg

3, with optional glass deflector and original frosted plate

BD%20Metal03pp.jpg

4, with its original metal deflector and original frosted plate

BD%20Metal04pp.jpg

Profoto OCF 2' Silver Soft light this unit does not offer a glass
deflector but, contrary to the metal version, permits zooming the
flash head
5, with its original deflector and original B1 frosted plate in outer most position

BD%20Metal05pp.jpg

6, with its original deflector and original B1 frosted plate in inner most position

BD%20Metal07pp.jpg

7, with its original deflector and B1 optional frosted dome in outer most position

BD%20Metal09pp.jpg

8, with its original deflector and B1 optional frosted dome in inner most position

Last edited:
What distance?
The frosted plate is more uneven. BD w/ glass deflector has a hotter center. And it looks like the two modifiers might have different focus distances.
What zoom position(s)? A true parabolic with the light source *at the focal point* shouldn't have a focus distance/characteristic, but that almost never happens. If the light source is placed closer to the reflector (short of the focal point) it will have more spread/scatter and won't focus. If the light source is place farther (long) it will have a shorter focal distance (and that causes a true parabolic to focus like an ellipsoidal reflector). It looks to me like the "optimum" zoom placement might be different for the two modifiers (or they were at different positions)... the BD is quite tight/hot in the center, too much so IMO.

("optimum" is subjective/situational of course)

Last edited:
Back