Tetenal Closing Shop After 172 Years

Name
Ariel
Edit My Images
Yes
Maybe filmdev and others get their supplies from Fuji, so won't affect them.....well unless Fuji doesn't close.

Maybe filmdev and others get their supplies from Fuji, so won't affect them.....well unless Fuji doesn't close.

I saw a report (no confirmation) that Fuji had stopped production (or sales?) of its NegaStar developer, which is used by @AgPhotographic . Filmdev and Peak both use XTOL, I believe... but there are also reports that Tetenal made the chems for Kodak in Europe, Middle East and Africa, and even for Ilford. So this is potentially verging on catastrophic!

However, I've just noted in the SUYFST thread @pentaxpete reporting that he was using home-made ID-11, so maybe there's still hope for black and white shooters!

I see Tim Layton offers free recipes for D-76H, D-23, stop and fixer at https://www.timlaytonfineart.com/formulas ...
I had a look at the Ag Photographic website, and it says they are going to stock raw chemicals in the near future. Silverprint already do, but a quick look suggests that this is not a cheap option. The D-76H formula requires 100g of Anhydrous Sodium Sulphite to make up a litre, but it's £33 odd for 500g at Silverprint and that's £6.60 a litre just for that chemical. Metol is about £42 for 100g, so that will last a long while as the formula only calls for 2.5g.

Ag are selling D-76 at £7.48 for 1 litre and £11.98 for 3.8 litres, so that still looks like the way to go. As an aside, I've just made up a 1 litre pack of D-76 which had an expiry date of 2012, and it is just fine (pic below). Never mind stockpiling food and medicine for Brexit, we should maybe be stockpiling developers! ;)

2019-01-25-0007-copy-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this was already discussed...

"The German photo industry publication foto-contact.de reports that Tetenal employees in Norderstedt, Germany, have been informed that Tetenal is set to be wound up and closed on April 1st, 2019."

:crying:

https://petapixel.com/2019/01/30/photo-chemistry-giant-tetenal-closing-shop-after-172-years-report/

https://petapixel.com/2019/02/01/a-closer-look-at-tetenal-a-photo-firm-thats-too-important-to-fail/

There's a 10 page thread about this on Photorio/APUG, including the info that there is a German language Tetenal website just launched at http://new-tetenal.de/

The english language information is contained at http://new-tetenal.de/tetenal-how-things-will-continue/ and looks quite hopeful. I don't think it's worth selectively quoting it, as it would be better to read it in total.

I saw a report (no confirmation) that Fuji had stopped production (or sales?) of its NegaStar developer, which is used by @AgPhotographic . Filmdev and Peak both use XTOL, I believe... but there are also reports that Tetenal made the chems for Kodak in Europe, Middle East and Africa, and even for Ilford. So this is potentially verging on catastrophic!

However, I've just noted in the SUYFST thread @pentaxpete reporting that he was using home-made ID-11, so maybe there's still hope for black and white shooters!

HUH! This might send the price of film cameras down if they can only be used for B\W and I have a fridge full of colour film :(

I bought some chemicals years ago from 'Johnsons of Hendon' the they went broke, then i was given a load from a Camera Club member who has moved to Cornwall -- i have enough 'Phenidone' to last until the 23rd Century ---

HUH! This might send the price of film cameras down if they can only be used for B\W and I have a fridge full of colour film :(

Bet you're a hoot at parties! :D Do you always look on the bleak side of everything?

Film will live on, as will the developing. Tetenal is a huge business and the film developing side of it is profitable, like the film side of Kodak Alaris. New films being released, a community with a passion for shooting it and working professionals choosing to shoot it, whether still or movie menus it will last a while yet. When and if film goes in my lifetime, I will give up photography, that's for sure.

Walter White? o_O

Making up your own chemicals is simply a matter of following a recipe. There's more that can go wrong baking a sponge cake.

I won't amend my signature, but for once I'll risk a "double entry" :)

Stephen BSc (Chemical Sciences)

Making up your own chemicals is simply a matter of following a recipe. There's more that can go wrong baking a sponge cake.

I won't amend my signature, but for once I'll risk a "double entry" :)

Stephen BSc (Chemical Sciences)

Well I would guess the hardest bit for DIY would be finding someone who stocks and sells chemicals, and would they sell in small quantities in case some chemicals don't store well.

For C41, the ingredient list contains CD-4 (CAS 25646-77-9), which Sigma Aldrich (sole supplier to 'individuals' in the EU as far as I know) wants for £55/100gr, about 4-5x overpriced, and formaldehyde, which is pretty much illegal in the EU as of 2017. If Tetenal stops serving us, I suppose we can all chip in to get a barrel of CD-4 imported from China, and develop & scan & throw away the films since we can't stab them without formaldehyde.

Similar story applies to E6. In short without Tetenal colour film shooting is unattainable.

Wet plate supplies stock a lot of the chems needed for B&W devs, and Ilford is still around so B&W is not really a problem.

For C41, the ingredient list contains CD-4 (CAS 25646-77-9), which Sigma Aldrich (sole supplier to 'individuals' in the EU as far as I know) wants for £55/100gr, about 4-5x overpriced, and formaldehyde, which is pretty much illegal in the EU as of 2017. If Tetenal stops serving us, I suppose we can all chip in to get a barrel of CD-4 imported from China, and develop & scan & throw away the films since we can't stab them without formaldehyde.

Similar story applies to E6. In short without Tetenal colour film shooting is unattainable.

Wet plate supplies stock a lot of the chems needed for B&W devs, and Ilford is still around so B&W is not really a problem.
Modern stabiliser does not use formaldehyde - basically as hard to get into EU - current bottle I'm using is basically wetting agent plus a little 1,2-Benzisothiazolin-3-one, a very common biocide in paints and detergents and household anti-bacterial sprays (so a little plain dishwasher rinse-aid and a splash of anti-bac spray and we are in business.) and for B&W there is my favourite of Parodinol - Headache capsules (paracetamol), Drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide) and Campden tablets (sodium metabisulphite). CD4 is more of a problem.

Latest from new-tetenal.de website - auto translated

Employee Initiative has made offer to purchase the formulary, brand and means of production of its former employer.
Following the announcement of the liquidation of Tetenal Europe GmbH and the reaction to the rescue of analogue Photo-Chemie, the team around Stefania Grimme, Carsten Gehring, Burkhardt Müller and Norbert Köster-Beestermöller has received an overwhelming number of positive responses from former employees, enthusiasts of analogue photography from all over the world, but also of commercial users and customers of the insolvent TETENAL Europe GmbH.
The many good wishes motivate us in our intention with a NEW TETENAL into the future. "
Stefania Grimme​
Also, industry partners - from California in the west to Japan in the east - are signaling worldwide support to establish the NEW TETENAL as an innovative and reliable partner in Germany for the world. Numerous talks have been agreed to substantiate future cooperation.
The insolvency administrator, dr. Sven-Holger Undritz, today was pleased to accept the offer of the founding team in the offices of White & Case in Hamburg. The insolvency administrator and founders team of attorneys today set the roadmap for further action in a joint meeting.
At this crucial point, the founding and commencement of the business activities of the NEW TETENAL is becoming more concrete. Following the planned production by the insolvent TETENAL, the operational business of the new company is due to commence on 1 April 2019.
From the beginning of March, it will be possible for customers and cooperation partners of the NEW TETENAL to place orders, which are a prerequisite for starting production in the new start-up company from 1 April. "
explain Carsten Gehring and Burkhardt Müller.​
"What does NEW TETENAL stand for?" - is a frequently asked question to the initiative's management team. "We know where we come from and understand the responsibility for 172 years of photo history. Together with the global photo community and the remaining key partners in the analogue photo industry, we will re-launch proven products, ensure the supply of film and photo studios, and develop entirely new business models, products and services for the future, "notes Burkhardt Müller. "The supply of the foreign subsidiaries is also continued under NEW TETENAL without interruption," adds Norbert Köster-Beestermöller.

Latest from new-tetenal.de website - auto translated

Employee Initiative has made offer to purchase the formulary, brand and means of production of its former employer.
Following the announcement of the liquidation of Tetenal Europe GmbH and the reaction to the rescue of analogue Photo-Chemie, the team around Stefania Grimme, Carsten Gehring, Burkhardt Müller and Norbert Köster-Beestermöller has received an overwhelming number of positive responses from former employees, enthusiasts of analogue photography from all over the world, but also of commercial users and customers of the insolvent TETENAL Europe GmbH.
The many good wishes motivate us in our intention with a NEW TETENAL into the future. "​
Stefania Grimme​
Also, industry partners - from California in the west to Japan in the east - are signaling worldwide support to establish the NEW TETENAL as an innovative and reliable partner in Germany for the world. Numerous talks have been agreed to substantiate future cooperation.
The insolvency administrator, dr. Sven-Holger Undritz, today was pleased to accept the offer of the founding team in the offices of White & Case in Hamburg. The insolvency administrator and founders team of attorneys today set the roadmap for further action in a joint meeting.
At this crucial point, the founding and commencement of the business activities of the NEW TETENAL is becoming more concrete. Following the planned production by the insolvent TETENAL, the operational business of the new company is due to commence on 1 April 2019.
From the beginning of March, it will be possible for customers and cooperation partners of the NEW TETENAL to place orders, which are a prerequisite for starting production in the new start-up company from 1 April. "​
explain Carsten Gehring and Burkhardt Müller.​
"What does NEW TETENAL stand for?" - is a frequently asked question to the initiative's management team. "We know where we come from and understand the responsibility for 172 years of photo history. Together with the global photo community and the remaining key partners in the analogue photo industry, we will re-launch proven products, ensure the supply of film and photo studios, and develop entirely new business models, products and services for the future, "notes Burkhardt Müller. "The supply of the foreign subsidiaries is also continued under NEW TETENAL without interruption," adds Norbert Köster-Beestermöller.

Assuming that I understand it correctly, it's one seriously long winded way of saying that Tetenal products will continue to be produced…..Is that right?

Assuming that I understand it correctly, it's one seriously long winded way of saying that Tetenal products will continue to be produced…..Is that right?
From the text, sounds hopeful but may depend on new company getting advance orders to satisfy the administrator.

From the text, sounds hopeful but may depend on new company getting advance orders to satisfy the administrator.

Will be positive news if the new company succeeds even though I no longer use Tetenal products personally.

You may be, without knowing it. They 'toll process' chemicals for other large and small photo chemical companies. This is common practice in the chemical industry.
Will be positive news if the new company succeeds even though I no longer use Tetenal products personally.

You may be, without knowing it. They 'toll process' chemicals for other large and small photo chemical companies. This is common practice in the chemical industry.
Yes, it appears they make European chemical products for Kodak and for Ilford... When the extent of their corporate customer base became clear, it looked ever more likely they would get the chemical part saved. It would have been a massive hit for film if not.

Back