Thank Goodness for Photoshop!

Name
Edward
Edit My Images
Yes
Bromyard - BIG motoring history in case you didn't know(!) ... today we had our Speed Festival. I took about 1500 and have started wading through the editing zzz ... zzz ...

Anyway - I wanted to have a good, sharp picture but unfortunately to get said picture means the wheels look totally static. Glad I subscribe to Mr. Adobe!! :D

Before:
70402-8234-3.jpg

And, predictably, After!
70402-8234-2.jpg

Perhaps this could be anywhere nearly but today Bromyard was closed today and opened to the motor racing world.

Great effort, you have completely changed the perspective from a static car into one that is not only moving but kept it within reason. Would it be rude to ask how you did it?
I'm looking into doing some shoot's with motorbike's and would love to learn. Thanks in advance.
Dave

Great effort, you have completely changed the perspective from a static car into one that is not only moving but kept it within reason. Would it be rude to ask how you did it?
I'm looking into doing some shoot's with motorbike's and would love to learn. Thanks in advance.
Dave
Thank you and I'd be delighted to tell you - I'll do my best to pop a response/tutorial up tomorrow but please prompt me if I forget. You'll be glad to know it's quite easy, even for beginners to Photoshop.

Sorry but to me it looks like it just has nearly bald tyres rather than showing movement. You can still see part of the tread going straight across the tyres which wouldn't be the case if there was movement.

Also, a spoke on the rear left wheel can be clearly seen so adds more to it being a static shot.

Maybe you could try adding a bit of motion blur to the tyres and spoke on the wheel, that way there wouldn't be the tread marks still show slightly.

Maybe you could try adding a bit of motion blur to the tyres and spoke on the wheel, that way there wouldn't be the tread marks still show slightly.
The trouble I find is that it blurs into the background as well, which doesn't look great. Having said that, I'm sure that if I zoomed in more and worked on it better the result would be improved. When one has 1,500 of these shots I tend to lose the will to live trying to do them all as accurately!! LOL :)

@Davejanney

I’ve chosen a different photograph as I had to sharpen the original and wanted to keep things simple. The important thing with this is no matter the angle of the wheels, the motion is totally vertical (90° in Photoshop lingo in this instance).

The first step (as is with most Photoshopping) is to copy the background layer by pressing Control+J

SS!.jpg

Then on the new layer created click on the menu Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur. This will blur everything (note the background) but don’t worry yet. Set it to 90° and pixels to suit. 42 in this case but like cooking, to your own preference.

Then add a layer mask. What we’re going to do is lose the whole Motion Blur from the photograph that we’ve just created – just temporarily.

SS2.jpg

We press D for the default White (foreground) over the Black (background) and then press Command+Backspace to make the filter vanish and turn black.

Then we pick the White paint brush (100% soft edges) and paint over the parts (tyres and parts of wheels) that we want blurred.

SS3.jpg

Loads of instructions, on purpose, but it’s really simple. And magic!

If you’re still stuck, please ask – it’s easy when you know but layers is difficult to grasp. Took me ages to “get it”.

A far simpler way, imo, would be to select the tyres/wheels and then copy them onto their own layer. Then blur that layer. As it only has the wheels on you don't then have to worry about the layer mask and painting back in/out. It is also then far easier to make any further adjustments on them.

A far simpler way, imo, would be to select the tyres/wheels and then copy them onto their own layer. Then blur that layer. As it only has the wheels on you don't then have to worry about the layer mask and painting back in/out. It is also then far easier to make any further adjustments on them.

Legend. Of course it all makes sense. The mask I got, the motion blur is a new one. So thank you. And IMHO I prefer a layer mask to selective edits. [emoji106][emoji106]

Last edited:
There are many different ways to do most things - which ever works best/easier for you.

I don't envy you doing 1500 images :)

That's the same, but with less flexibility.

You have to select the wheels to copy them to a new layer. You may as well select them and make it into a mask. Then you can alter and refine it if needed.

Then add a layer mask. What we’re going to do is lose the whole Motion Blur from the photograph that we’ve just created – just temporarily.

We press D for the default White (foreground) over the Black (background) and then press Command+Backspace to make the filter vanish and turn black.

Then we pick the White paint brush (100% soft edges) and paint over the parts (tyres and parts of wheels) that we want blurred.

Just hold "alt" when you click to add a layer mask, and it will give you a black mask to start with.

Alternatively, select the wheels beforehand, and then add that selection as a mask - this is probably going to be quicker and more accurate than trying to brush everything in from scratch.

That's the same, but with less flexibility.
As you say (and it doesn't really matter in the end) many ways to skin a cat in Photoshop.

The way I chose works for me and serves to explain my work methods. Not saying it's the best method but it's easy to explain. :)

As you say (and it doesn't really matter in the end) many ways to skin a cat in Photoshop.

The way I chose works for me and serves to explain my work methods. Not saying it's the best method but it's easy to explain. :)
It does make some difference... selecting just the tires and not creating a layer mask will result in a notably smaller file.

Another way of going about it is to blur/mask and then ctrl/cmd click on the layer mask (selects white), invert the selection, switch to the image layer and delete all of the image you are not using... then delete the layer mask. Basically, getting rid of all of the data you don't need and aren't really using.

Back