That Derren Brown "Push" programme

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone else watch this, this week?

The basic premise was that he created a scenario where someone could go from meeting someone to killing them within an hour. Set around a fictional charity event, he used the "lobster in a boiling pot" approach to manipulate someone into potential murder.

I am not normally a fan of DB.

For those who watched it, what stuck out like a sore thumb for me was the speech. If i'd just hidden a dead body, pretending to be that person in a room full of people is way, way beyond the bounds of reality. There is zero probability that I would have done that part because everything would point to me when he was found dead. How on earth would you explain it away?

Also, once his wife mentioned his "condition" then regardless of his resurrection and rant on the roof, it was hardly likely to end in any serious outcome. Not even sure any laws would have been broken as there would be clear plausible deniability that he was just put somewhere quiet and out of sight, dictaphone or not.

Was still entertaining. The other three seemed a bit false/weird so perhaps they twigged at some point but were asked to carry on filming. Even knowing it was fake would still cause someone (like the bloke) to flinch at pushing someone off a building. It would feel wrong. The consequences of not pushing were much smaller than the consequences of pushing, thus I find it a little bit strange.

Either Derren Brown was just lying to us (and all 4 victims were actors) or it was just staggering. Much like his heist show.

The other three seemed a bit false/weird so perhaps they twigged at some point but were asked to carry on filming.

Possible. DB's view of stage hypnotism (which he claims doesn't really exist) is that it's less embarrassing to go along with what you are asked to do than stand in front of hundreds of people and say "it's a hoax". Pushing somebody off a roof though. You'd have to be pretty sure.....

remember these people were chosen for their trait of being easily manipulated. a room full of people expecting you to stand up and give a speech, not thinking clearly due to the recent trauma etc.

dont think its beyond possibility.

Didn't watch it, but thought if it is "for real" - what happens if a little down the line one of the people he did this too? actually commits a crime / actually hurts someone, I'm sure the lawyers will be coming back to this scenario - or it could have just been a whole load of bluff ...

Didn't watch it, but thought if it is "for real" - what happens if a little down the line one of the people he did this too? actually commits a crime / actually hurts someone, I'm sure the lawyers will be coming back to this scenario - or it could have just been a whole load of bluff ...

On previous shows, he has emphasised the extensive debrief he does with the subjects. A lot of that will be rebuilding their confused minds and another chunk will be getting them to sign disclaimers.....

Who ever watched it and was glued to the TV was a Victim also! Commercial TV needs people like you! Ratings are everything;)

I quite enjoyed the Push programme. From the intro and various VT's it seems he was poking around the area of radicalisation, In that, if enough people of whom you either have vague trust or whom have some authority over you tell you to do something, you may well be manipulated into doing it, even if it goes against what you would normally do and/or believe in.

I've seen DB live a few times, I like how he chooses people from the audience to do 'tricks' on, by throwing a Frisbee out, then getting the catcher to throw it again once or twice before someone is selected. I also like that he starts every show by basically saying he is not a mind reader and there are no supernatural happenings going on. A friend of mine practices NLP and his mum is a teacher who has worked with someone who works with DB. I don't believe in magic, nor in telepathy or any other superpowers. Though I do believe that, given the right commands, the mind can be manipulated, especially since we really know very little about our own capabilities.

I saw him hand a girl, who was sat near us at one of his shows, a glass of vinegar. After a quick chat on stage, she drank the whole glass as if it was water. When she headed back to her seat she was asking her friends what the big deal was as in her mind, he'd actually handed her a glass of water. It was clear from their reaction that her breath was... less than fresh.

Back