That feeling of panic.....

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
You get when the NAS that you decided to store your unwanted images on 'just in case' suddenly won't talk to any other device.

And you've realised retrospectively that you actually moved some images you DID want to it after all.

Knowing they aren't backed up anywhere else (hey, the drives are mirrored - what could go wrong?) :p

Fortunately it seems just 1 drive of the pair was dead, and presumably this prevented the device serving files. The other - a 2TB Tosh from Mar 2013 - is now sat in a caddy, copying files across to one of 3 4TB WD Mybooks that I use for backup, using an old Linux box that can read the NAS formatted drives. Only another 4 hours to go at around 1GB/minute. :rolleyes: Gotta love USB2. And doesn't time go by QUICKLY!

I panic about losing files all the time. What do I do with that panic. Nothing!!!

Western Digital often sell recertified Mybook external drives at decent prices - typically around £65 for 4TB, hence why I have 3 (plus a Tosh 2TB and 1TB from when I had my own business to back up). I try to make sure that images (eventually) go to 2 external drives as well as the drive in the computer, however I don't do off-site storage, which is something of a failing.

I currently have 5 copies of my data at any one time. Some may call it paranoia but I've worked at three major sites where data silos have gone south despite (alleged) 24 hour management! :banghead:

I have a prime account but will not use cloud storage because I have no control over it.

I would replace the HDDs in the NAS with either WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf, much better fault tolerance thar standard 5400/7200 ones made for computers.

Back