That perfect sunset during a wedding

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_1473406753.831081.jpg

Hi guys.
This is a strange one. I took this picture a few weeks back and it's the kind of picture I've been wanting to take for ages and it's turned out pretty well.
I've tried many times before and never quite got the look I was going for.
Do you think it's me, or does there have to be some certain magical mix in the sky to achieve this. Sound daft me asking the question on how to take my own picture it just baffled me some what.

it is a nice image but it sounds like from your explanation it was a happy accident, obviously the sun placement is crucial to this shot but now you can see your settings in lightroom and you can use these as a start to recreate the shot many times over.

I think your right, it's just strange, there was a lot more clouds in the sky on this shot giving so much more ambiance as well. Hmm, maybe I will have a blast at the next wedding, see what happens.

Sweeeeet!

Sunsets are a very transient thing and folk go out evening after evening in the hope that there's something worth capturing for the moment or two that everything falls together. A minute either way and your shot could have looked very different as it would have done in a different location. I think it's difficult to re-attempt a shot when the background (the sky) is something over which you have no control but the couple in this version should be well pleased that the they themselves, the sky and yourself all conspired to capture the moment.

Bob

View attachment 73346
Do you think it's me, or does there have to be some certain magical mix in the sky to achieve this. Sound daft me asking the question on how to take my own picture it just baffled me some what.

To achieve what exactly? And what has you baffled?

The sky will look different every single day. The exact placement and density of clouds relative to the sun and your position is never going to be identical. Likewise, any pollutants in the local area - build up of traffic or industrial emissions in the days beforehand, dust from a farm, etc. etc.

But for the purposes of taking a photo like the one here, you should be able to get a comparable image on most days that aren't completely overcast.

Did you ps the Rays onto there faces ?

I'd be surprised if he has, what makes you think that they are added in post?

It's the op I was talking to
But it's a simple enough 'photographic technique', so why would you assume faking it after?
In fact I'd guess faking it is harder than shooting it. :)

But it's a simple enough 'photographic technique', so why would you assume faking it after?
In fact I'd guess faking it is harder than shooting it. :)

Simple enough question. Just like asking is that a wild or a zoo animal
Nothing meant by it

Simple enough question. Just like asking is that a wild or a zoo animal
Nothing meant by it
I never questioned your intent:)
It's just so simple a technique (small aperture) that the question seemed 'odd'

Back