The 2014 Season F1 Thread

Someone did, there is footage of the actual impact online now. It isn't graphic, but does show the actual impact (and watching it, it's no wonder he is in ICU).

Video of Bianchi accident (don't watch if you don't want to see the actual collision with the JCB).

https://vine.co/v/OK6T67FZ7WW

Indeed, in this modern era, there is always a good chance someone got video and once again that has happened.

I've seen the footage, it's shocking!

I wonder if the car has had a throttle fault. The speed he arrives at seems odd & I'm amazed to see the tractor lifted & moved so far, even taking the weight of the Sauber into account.

Looking at the slowed down video and the aftermath pictures on the Daily Mail you can only hope that the car hitting the crane somehow hopefully deflected the main impact away from the head area even though it sliced the engine cover off.

I was pretty disgusted at the BBC news today, when their newscaster said that Bianchi "drove into" something at the side of the track.

holy s***ting s*** that is a brutal impact.

It's absolutely horrendous. I'm surprised he's still alive after seeing the impact.

Reading some info on paddock talk seems to point to Jules not slowing down in the yellow flag zone. This has come from the driver steward, Mika Salo. Obviously they have more info than anyone to hand so for him to come out and say this then I would hope he has some proof to back it up.

As it also states, it's pretty normal for a recovery vehicle to be on the other side of the barriers under waved yellows. Obviously the conditions were different with rain and fading light.

It's a bit of a mess that has been kept quiet quite well up to now but now the video has been leaked there are alot of questions being asked and fingers being pointed.

Fingers crossed for Jules!

A couple of pictures on Joe Seawards blog nothing graphic but he does make a point that at the force that shifted the jcb, had the jcb not been there it would have still been a horrible accident
http://joeblogsf1.com/

As do I, even though I wasn't a fan of him as a driver. The brain is a wonderful thing and can do extraordinary things with its circuitry.

**Mod Edit**
Broken to link, some may find this distressing

Full crash video is now up.

www.liveleak.com/view?i=818_1412603603

If you watch it, one of the marshals (in tower 12) goes from waving double yellows to a green while the JCB is still on the track side (just before the Bianchi crash), I doubt it made any difference, but he must be in a spot of bother.

Full crash video is now up.

If you watch it, one of the marshals (in tower 12) goes from waving double yellows to a green while the JCB is still on the track side (just before the Bianchi crash), I doubt it made any difference, but he must be in a spot of bother.

Look, the guy is currently fighting for his life so it's not really the time for posting videos of the moment that may lead to his death nor is it the time to be pointing fingers at anyone until the full investigation has been completed.
One thing I will say, marshal tower 12 is at a point on the track past where Jules Bianchi had his crash. Sky F1 website, and others, have had articles explaining the green flag.

Green flag is you have passed the danger continue racing in this case Sutils crash At no time should you speed up until you have passed that point
The controvesty is what speed should you do under yellow flags Its not so long since Lewis was let off because the telemitry showed he had lifted under yellows
What may well happen is a rule might appear that under 2 waved yellows you have to engage the pit limiter but this would have to be thought out as automated it would cause mayhem
These are top line racing drivers 1/10 of a second counts so saying go slow and go slower and get ready to stop registers as how slow can I go without a penalty or to put it another way how fast can I go (it has to be faster or the same as the guy I am racing) without being caught and penalised

Look, the guy is currently fighting for his life so it's not really the time for posting videos of the moment that may lead to his death nor is it the time to be pointing fingers at anyone until the full investigation has been completed.

Sorry, I missed the memo where it was decided you got to tell people when and what to post...

I'll PM you for permission before posting again (or maybe not).

No one is forcing you to participate or post about it.

2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Bza4Vq2CEAAb0Yf.jpg:large

Sochi
Race Date: 12 Oct 2014
Circuit Name: Sochi Autodrom
First Grand Prix: 2014
Number of Laps: 53
Circuit Length: 5.848 km
Race Distance: 309.732 km
Lap Record: -

UK Times
Fri 10 October 2014
Practice 1 07:00 - 08:30
Practice 2 11:00 - 12:30
Sat 11 October 2014
Practice 3 09:00 - 10:00
Qualifying 12:00
Sun 12 October 2014
Race 12:00

Previous Winners
New Track

Vettel Infiniti lap
[youtube]

Facts from the last race
Ferrari’s difficult season continued in Japan where they failed to score a point for the first time since the 2010 British Grand Prix. In that time they had scored points in 81 consecutive races, beating McLaren’s previous record of 64 which was set last year.

None of Ferrari’s engine customers finished in the top ten either, meaning there were no Ferrari-powered points scorers, which last happened at the 2009 Singapore Grand Prix.

Mercedes now have the longest running points-scoring streak for a team: 35 races, which began at the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix, the race before Lewis Hamilton joined them.

Mercedes locked out the front row of the grid and finished one-two, both for the eighth time this year. If they continue to finish one-two in all of the four remaining races, Nico Rosberg must win at least three of them including the double points finale to beat Hamilton to the drivers’ championship.

It was the 30th win of Hamilton’s career – one more will see him tie with Nigel Mansell as the most successful British driver in terms of race wins.

It was the 12th pole of Rosberg’s career, putting him level with Gerhard Berger and David Coulthard.

Hamilton’s sixth fastest lap gives him one more than Rosberg so far this season, and moves him on to 19 for his career so far. That puts him level with childhood hero Ayrton Senna, as well as Stirling Moss, Damon Hill and Mark Webber.

Rosberg led his 400th lap of the season. Hamilton has 362.

Penalty points so far
Marcus Ericsson 5
Jules Bianchi 4
Pastor Maldonado 4
Kevin Magnussen 4
Valtteri Bottas 2
Adrian Sutil 2
Jean-Eric Vergne 1

Standings
yTUsYpM.png

ubs-formula-1-f1-race-strategy-briefing-infographic-russia-sochi.png

Thanks for posting that, but Sochi looks absolutely fuggin' awful, doesn't it? A flat street course with hairpin after square hairpin and that huge loop left to fug the offside front!

The only thing I can say remotely in its favour is, just as Austin Texas looks to my eyes like Jarama run backwards, Sochi has a faint flavour of Crystal Palace with the Stadium abutting the track and the big white walls!

At first I thought I was looking at the map of the Korean Circuit with that big loop. :eek:

Isn't Azerbaijan where they send naughty wizards?

Some people are saying that Sochi is the new Valencia, after seeing P1 I wouldn't say it's as good as that.

I've decided! And I've changed my mind. I've watched an absolutely fabulous GP2 race this afternoon and I've decided that Sochi is a decent enough racing circuit! The long, wide run flat out through #1 to the hairpin of #2 is akin to Macau and then the tyre-eating loop through #3 at allows different cars to take different lines before the next big brake.

There was lots of running off track and over easy low kerbs for the zealous sofa-racers to complain about, but the whole track does seem to allow quite good racing.

If only Rosberg hadn't locked up at turn 2 the outcome may have been less processional, no doubt Pirelli will make changes to the tyres for next year.

JB looked rather downbeat on the forum, looking as if he already knows he has no drive next year.

Seems that Jules B's injury is a diffuse axonal injury, similar to that sustained by Richard Hammond. Sounds like it was caused by dramatic shaking rather than direct impact, although we may never know.

As before, hoping he recovers well.

Having watched the Russian GP, I think the track isn't too bad and with a more aggressive tyre choice could prove quite decent. Turn 3 looked like it has potential.
Nico did well to recover to second although with the tyres lasting the whole race it was more or less maintained position after everyone else had done there pitstop (Bottas excepted). Not sure he would have got that far if the tyres hadn't lasted as they did.
Lewis was in cruise mode after the first few laps. When they showed his cockpit view it looked like a very steady/easy drive, not pushing at all. Did a few fast laps towards the end more for fun than to respond to any threat from behind. Put as little stress on the car as possible, that may pay dividends in the end.

If only Rosberg hadn't locked up at turn 2 the outcome may have been less processional,
Seemed a bit do or die move to me
Nico hasnt been as good as he was before they gave him a private kicking behind locked doors
Makes you wonder where Alonso is going 2015 just a thought

Nico hasnt been as good as he was before they gave him a private kicking behind locked doors
Makes you wonder where Alonso is going 2015 just a thought

Nico is under contract for the next few years and lewis looks like he will be staying past next year as well, especially If he wins the championship, alonso said he wouldn't be using a mercedes powered car next year too, so lotus, Williams and merc won't have anything to do with him, I hope Alonso goes to mclaren in Kevins place.

There's a new team joining in 2016 too though, the American one, maybe someone can get a drive there, if vergne stays at toro rosso one more year he might be in the running as I doubt they'll be at the front anytime soon. When bianchi is all sorted out, he might move up to the American team being ferarri powered, if they're infront of marussia anyway

I'm not so sure, this was almost Spa again with a stupid move from the start (and another inability to actually navigate a corner like in Monaco and Italy as well).

Stefano Domenicali to Audi has started the rumour of Alonso sitting out next year
Although I never saw a buddy buddy relationship there
And i am sure Ron would have to stand aside if Alonso went to the macs
New boss at Ferrari is going to kick ass So no change in the management approach there then New season new dog who knows

A little further news is that Stefano Domenicali is joining Audi but its the Ducatti part of Audi
I cant see Alonso on a twin motorcycle

Hasn't Alonso said he won't be powered by a Merc engine next year so Mclaran would be the obvious one with Honda. Of the other non Merc teams there would only be Red Bull that he'd consider surely and they've already named their drivers for next year. No doubt everything has already been sorted just making us all wait ;-) maybe Bernie wants to keep it in the news for a bit longer.

No doubt your right but there are a lot of ifs and buts out there
And Alonso, being a honerable man, wouldnt tell anything but the truth would he

Only 18 cars heading over the pond for the USA & Brazilian gp's, guess we will have to wait to see who's on the grid for the finale in Abu Dhabi.
With the Caterham team locked out of their premises now it appears that Marussia have cash difficulties, also the rumour mill is throwing up both Sauber and Lotus as possible non contenders next year......the circus goes on.

It will make little difference to next year if whoever wins this year, wins by the double point system there will be a mass turnoff
Already the fans are deserting and if there are three cars per team or a ballot as to which team has three cars at which race and with the third not having anypart in the champion ship next year then its definatly goodnight F1 and the asset strippers will have won

Back