The 2019 Disposable Camera Challenge - Chat

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
The current entry by @RaglanSurf into the Old Film Photos challenge has inspired me to ask if we should have another disposable film camera challenge.

So, here we go.
The challenge is to post up to three photographs taken with a disposable, single use film camera.
A thread on which to post those photos will be created at the end of June. This will be the entries and voting thread.
At the same time, another thread will be created on which to post any other photos you might wish to share.
The final date for entries is 7th. July.
Voting will take place from 8th. July for three weeks. You will vote for your three favourite photos.
The subject matter is open, up to you, do your own thing.
Basic processing allowed, but nothing extreme. (I could use the help of a technically minded person to define this more clearly)

This thread is for discussion, chat and waffle.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
The current entry by @RaglanSurf into the Old Film Photos challenge has inspired me to ask if we should have another disposable film camera challenge.

What do you think folks?
Great idea, its great fun and kind of liberating.

Looks like there's enough interest to move forward.
Here are some format suggestions.

1. Not too serious.
2. 3 months from start to finish
3. Each person post up to 3 photos for voting
4. Vote for favourite 3
5. Seperate thread for photos not posted to voting thread.

All input welcome.

I'm sure I've got one somewhere too, it maybe an old Rollei Redbird disposable.

I've just ordered my Kodak fun saver ! Your ideas sound good to me Simon

I've just ordered my Kodak fun saver ! Your ideas sound good to me Simon
I'm pretty sure that I'll go Fuji rather than Kodak as that's always been my choice, but surely the lenses and exposure systems must be prettty much the same? And are they even perhaps made in the same factory with just a different film and frontage? And I'm assuming Filmdev are OK with disposables? :snaphappy:

I think I've still got one somewhere. If I can find it (or a cheap new one), I'm in.

Fantastic, we're up and running.

Shall we say 1st July finish? Then vote for a week?

I'll start the two threads, entries and non-entries, beginning of June.

We can continue waffle and chat in here.

Any other thoughts welcome.

I'll go with black and white as usual

I'm in (y)

Open.

What about PP restrictions? Cross processing etc.? (I have a shiny coprolite which I bought to prove that turds can be polished!!!)

I was given a disposable camera by my brother for my 70th. The film expired in 2007, he's very generous. Recently I took it out and shot some pictures, it was a Fuji disposable with an 800 ASA film. It was in my fleece jacket pocket. Later, I put my fleece in the wash and next day unexpectedly recovered the camera, broke it open and sent the film cartridge to AG, afer dryting it out overnight on a radiator, perfect Lomo scenario. Unfortunately, but very wisely, they wouldn't process it because it had started to disintegrate. I threw the cartridge away but, thinking back, maybe it got processed and fixed in the non-biological developer, obviously. I should have pulled it out and scanned it. I don't think that I have ever used a disposable, apart from that.

Last edited:
Open.

What about PP restrictions? Cross processing etc.? (I have a shiny coprolite which I bought to prove that turds can be polished!!!)

I would have thought normal restrictions - ish. So levels, crops and the like should be ok.

Think I saw a well outdated disposable in local charity shop .... call me thrifty :angelic:

I'll give this a go as well. I have an Ilford disposable camera in the house somewhere... It's been hanging around for a couple of years so it's about time it earned it's keep :D

I've got an Ilford HP5 one, I think. I might tape a red filter on the front again as I did a few years ago, just for laughs!

Those will be better quality than my Lomo konstructor and easier to use:dummy:

I will have to buy a disposable then

I think the Ilford HP5+ camera will be my weapon of choice too. Now I just need to buy one!

When the films finished, what's the safest way to get the film out without getting zapped?

As far as accidental exposure is concerned, I think I'm right in saying that when you wind on you're actually winding back into the canister. Is that right?

EDIT - just had a look on youtube. It seems I'm right about the film and being zapped isn't a concern.

Last edited:
When the films finished, what's the safest way to get the film out without getting zapped?

As far as accidental exposure is concerned, I think I'm right in saying that when you wind on you're actually winding back into the canister. Is that right?

EDIT - just had a look on youtube. It seems I'm right about the film and being zapped isn't a concern.

Rubber gloves and a hammer? :D

:thinking: If I promise to get rid of my non-autofocussing Canon T80 could I count that as disposable? I could use the rubber glove and hammer film removal method too, though it might take a while. Otherwise I'm going to have to head to Boot's and pick up a disposable from the rack next to the gentlemen's incontinence pants (I'm hoping that is co-incidence not a comment on us Fusty-Crusty types).

Back