The 42ft wide Liverpool skyline hdr panorama

To tell the full story, if anyone is interested in that. I reported one of Pete's critiques to the mods and asked for them to close the thread as I found Pete's attitude to be bordering on bullying. Marcel closed the thread and used the following words in his reply. "Pete, learn to word your posts better, your sarcasm and choice of words might seem funny in your head but it really makes you sound full of yourself, pretentious and arrogant."

I ask again "What would you do differently next time?"

And your just doing the same thing now. Stop it.

Think its simple really. I critiqued his work once, so now he has to critique everything I do.
To tell the full story, if anyone is interested in that. I reported one of Pete's critiques to the mods and asked for them to close the thread as I found Pete's attitude to be bordering on bullying. Marcel closed the thread and used the following words in his reply. "Pete, learn to word your posts better, your sarcasm and choice of words might seem funny in your head but it really makes you sound full of yourself, pretentious and arrogant."

Fair comment but perhaps, Pete like me, has fallen foul of wanting to be honest in his appraisal of work on here. I was once accused of being an elitist for saying how and what I saw in the quality of some work rather than putting a 'great set' up on what can sometimes be borderline awful. I cite your table football images as an example.

Having talked with Pete online for a couple of years, I have to say he is far from how described and offers constructive advice to fledgling photographers from all corners.

Still, here is the issue with both internet text and phone text in that it can often sound ambiguous or rude without any intent.

Having talked with Pete online for a couple of years, I have to say he is far from how described and offers constructive advice to fledgling photographers from all corners.

I am sure that you are correct in your assertion that Pete is well intentioned in his replies. You know him better than I do. I am still interested in knowing what he would do differently next time.

Just to chip in with what may or may not be helpful. I once had a debate with Pete here and called him an elitest arse. Trouble is, as DG says above, I didn't (and really still don't) know Pete, and I read his sarcasm as nasty, and his crit as just a dig. It took me a while to work him out, and it was only when I spoke to him in the chatroom did it all make sense.

I like the fact that Pete keeps it real, and whilst he might choose words which upset people on occassion, I don't think he means to upset anyone.

Gary.

Just to chip in with what may or may not be helpful. I once had a debate with Pete here and called him an elitest arse. Trouble is, as DG says above, I didn't (and really still don't) know Pete, and I read his sarcasm as nasty, and his crit as just a dig. It took me a while to work him out, and it was only when I spoke to him in the chatroom did it all make sense.

I like the fact that Pete keeps it real, and whilst he might choose words which upset people on occassion, I don't think he means to upset anyone.

Gary.

I accept what you say about pete. The problem is that if someone gets the impression from his words that he is bullying them, then any complaint finds against him. It is no defence to say that I was well intentioned and meant no harm. It is the feeling that the harassed person perceives which is the criterion for assessing whether bullying happened or not.

Putting all of that to one side, I am still interested in knowing what he would do differently next time.

I meant to post yesterday, but forgot, so I shall post now.

quite an outstanding piece of work, spot on imho.

With regards to the situation that has arisen, I think it's a shame that this keeps happening, and that people find it necessary to seek a form of revenge when pete posts about their work previously.

Whilst I understand that people can have a way with words and that said words can be easily taken as rude or uncalled for, I don't think people take enough time to read the posts properly and really try and understand what he's trying to say. In my opinion, after having a few dabates with him in IRC, it is quite clear that he's not out to get you and simply be rude, rather offer what is mostly good advice in ways to improve.

Don't get me wrong, I do recall saying sometimes that he could have worded things differently, but that matters not when considering that he does offer himself as a realist, and critques accordingly. Something that is perhaps lacking somewhat in most people.

Critiques should be honest and constructive, and pete should perhaps take a little time sometimes to word things carefully. That said, I do know him a little better than some due to talking often in IRC, and I stand by my point that he, in his critques, is mostly correct.

Last edited:
That's amazing! How did they approach you to ask for this to be done?

The design agency had seen my work around and had heard about HDR, so they came to me for some Liverpool HDR goodness. Not entirely sure on the specifics.

Well done Pete. Thats a really great shot, and excellent story. I'm just glad it all worked out.

Can I ask where you go to get something like that printed?

Unfortunately I have no idea. I only had to deliver the jpg.

Would you do it again? Would you do one even bigger?

Theoretically you could go as big as needed using the same method. Great shot by the way and nice job on the huge print.

Yeah theoretically it might be possible to do one twice the size. Who knows? I thought 1 meter was going to be the limit to my 30D not 13m.

Pete i had to do a lot of printing for my work recently, and im reliably informed that the image given for printing needs to be 25% of the final printed size...i dont know if that helps, but it certainly helped me when i was doing exhibition stand artwork.

Yeah that sounds like how I work. I work at 25% in Photoshop and generally if that looks good then it also looks good printed. Thankfully for this the company gave me dimensions to work to.

No doubt you could have done it differently, but I can't see any of the Pizza Express diners looking at it and thinking "Do you know, I think the 'tog should have used a tripod". Nor do I suspect that they'll be wondering which lens was used or whether it was done in landscape or portrait format.

Aye. I spoke with some people at Pizza Express who say they've had great feedback. While I was there I saw some people get up for a closer look. Guess its a good thing I don't eat pizza or I would be there all the time running up a large bill and eating too much cheese :D

Stunning Pete, absolutely stunning. Any chance I can I get a copy posted over to Toronto :naughty:?

Hey, maybe you could come over here and do one of the T.O Skyline.

Way ahead of you. Here's one I prepared earlier.

skylinehdr.jpg

Just to say to again thanks for all the nice comments whether its about the photo or just to say that I'm a misunderstood nice guy in disguise. Thanks :)

Look at that skyline!!! ^^^ Reminds me of fireworks in the sea, all those colours. Awesome.

Outstanding mate.

Stunning shots, Pete, both of them. Congrats on getting the first one printed so big.
NOW.... you have to get the Toronto one put in the foyer of a large Toronto bank! (y)

Think its simple really. I critiqued his work once, so now he has to critique everything I do.

To tell the full story, I reported one of Pete's critiques to the mods and asked for them to close the thread as I found Pete's attitude to be bordering on bullying. Marcel closed the thread and used the following words in his reply. "Pete, learn to word your posts better, your sarcasm and choice of words might seem funny in your head but it really makes you sound full of yourself, pretentious and arrogant."

Don't selectively quote me. You got into a tiff and now you're trying to prove yourself. I didn't close the thread because of pete, I actually closed it because of you and Pete...not at your request. It had turned into a petty childish tit for tat argument, because you were unable to accept your photos had flaws which Pete pointed out.

Now you're just picking hole in anything that Pete posts, and I consider it trolling. You can argue the toss, but this is my forum, and if I say you're trolling, then you're trolling. So stop it.

Yes, petes replies can be absolutely crap, but that's our problem to deal with, and pete, not you.

This is a thread discussing the image, NOT grammar and spelling of a post. If you continue with this nitpicking and argumentative tone any more and you will find yourself unable to post. Promise :wave:

Now, if you've got any serious and friendly discussions about the image, feel free.

[S4]WAY TO GO, MARCEL[/S4]

Seems a shame these threads keep coming down to this rubbish ... when they start with a wonderful shot like this.

That is an amazing bit of work (y)

A fantastic , but no doubt expensive bit of wallpaper there Pete! :LOL: Seriously though, it's a stonker of an image. I've done a few HDR pano's to know how difficult it can be. Not necessarily stitching them, but executing the shots required to stitch later. Especially with a subject that is ever changing like this. The one's I have done have only been small .. tiny in fact, in comparison to this one of yours! I take my hat off to you again Pete for pulling it off in style :D

PS. Excellent post Marcel.

Thank you Marcel. Thats what I wanted to say but I didn't want to further the debate. Its the last I'll speak on the matter, but I wanted to say thanks for posting something clear and to the point.

Now to be uber geeky, I've just found this fun little calculator. I put in the rough dimensions and holy moly. The image is half a gigapixel! Thats pretty impressive for a 30D I think. Just shows you that you don't need a 1Ds or medium format these days. Wouldn't say no to one of course :D

My god...

What an amazing bit of work. You must be chuffed.

props to marcel, 3 admin have posted in this thread but i think marcel nailed it with that one.

I do like the image, and i'm yet to go see it in person.

i'd LOVE to be able to understand photomatix enough to come out with such a shot like that (Ignoring the fact that it's a pano'), but with it being a pano, then even better!

You've made me want to go down to that exact spot, and have a go myself!

I also need to learn how to do a pano' properly too!

Nice work bud :D

Photomatix played a part but theres also a lot of Photoshop in there too.

Great shot Pete and it's interesting hearing the story that goes behind it too. I've done a few large scale sitches before and it's great for getting large megapixel sized images although a nightmare to actually do editing on! I found recording an action as I edited a smaller verion worked as then you just played back the action and it automatically did the edits to the larger file.

What can one say Pete...........Great picture.

I take my virtual hat off to you.......well done and thank you for sharing your journey in getting this baby up on the wall for all to see.

Well done mate.

Del.

Thats a stunning piece of photography! :clap: great story behind it to, as said above I doubt the small image does it justice. once again :clap:(y)

Now, if you've got any serious and friendly discussions about the image, feel free.

I believe that it is a fair question to ask, what would you do differently if you had to do it again. If the answer is, I'd do it the same way next time, then that's fine. I'd be surprised if that was the answer. I would imagine that during the execution of the task, Pete must have had ideas on how to improve the process. Those ideas may help other members who are considering challenging tasks.

I believe that it is a fair question to ask, what would you do differently if you had to do it again. If the answer is, I'd do it the same way next time, then that's fine. I'd be surprised if that was the answer. I would imagine that during the execution of the task, Pete must have had ideas on how to improve the process. Those ideas may help other members who are considering challenging tasks.

He has you on ignore and so can't see your comments. Leave it.

Pete what an incredible shot to achieve, a tremendous amount of work. :clap:

Some distortion
th_9bcdc296.gif
on the Toronto horizon but stunning too.

Totally agree with this post. Its an amazing piece of work, which a lot of time effort and care has clearly been made. Totally stunning and would grace any wall anywhere in any gallery.

Top stuff!

Having just been pointed to this, OMG that is amazing Pete. Well done is all I can say(y)

Not just the excellent final result but the dedication with the amount of work that must have gone into this commands a lot of respect in my opinion (y)

Back