The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

But the engineers need to actually know how to make that work first, Nikon clearly has never had the experience or personnel in their history making a lens with this diameter and their first few lenses clearly shows!!! All that song and dance about large diameter and they come out with F/4 zooms....

Might actually help Sony. All these large diameter lenses will cost a bomb making Sony expensive lenses look quite reasonable!

It’s clear though, for the most part we do not need a big hole lol

So really stuck on what to do, I was after the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 sony mount, but can't seem to find any UK stock, reading the threads I see the panamoz and e-infinity are an option
with e-infinty being at a lower price, but 12months warranty to three years from panamoz . Tamon themself are giving away a 5 years warranty on lenses registered in the first 2 months and legally from the EU.
I was reading e-infinty reviews and the bad ones are ones that have had a fault develop with a lens or camera and sent it back and never heard anything back and had to get paypal to refund.
Anyone got any advice at all.

This place is showing stock.

https://www.pro-camera.co.uk/acatal...M80RPq2wqqO3vKBCJusstv_UaAgsJEALw_wcB#a625515

Looks like a sigma's CEO is singing from the same hymn sheet as others about large mount diameter.
So far I hadn't put too much stock into it but I don't think he is kinda guy that takes pot-shots at others.

He said the 50mm f/1.2 and 28-70mm f/2 would be very difficult or impossible without the larger mount and short flange yet they somehow managed it with the EF 50mm f/1.2. Now perhaps that's just testimony to the ability of Canon but it's all rather meaningless until we actually have products that show off that ability, as it stands no matter how good the new mounts may potentially be the best lens designs (at least for me) are with Sony (mostly because they're the latest designs).

I'm suspecting the end result will be much the same as now except the larger mounts will have some exotic beasts like the 28-70mm, that is an advantage but how many people really need/want one of those? It was only a few weeks ago there were a spate of articles trying to tell us we probably didn't need those big and expensive f/1.4 lenses when we have such good f/1.8 ones but now suddenly it's super important to have a larger mount? I'm a little doubtful.

Last edited:
Might actually help Sony. All these large diameter lenses will cost a bomb making Sony expensive lenses look quite reasonable!

It’s clear though, for the most part we do not need a big hole lol

Yup. I think there's very possibly a lot hype about the BIG holes and the fanboys are acting as if no one has had fast primes or f2 zooms before.

I can't see myself ever buying an f2 zoom at twice the price, or whatever, of a f2.8 and although I could possibly be interested in a f0.95 or f1.2 50mm I don't think I'll be paying over £2k for one.

I think anything past 1.2 is a bit of a niche, the plane of focus gets sooooooooo thin it becomes uncomfortable to look at.

I've seen some 0.95 samples and even the in focus areas are sooooo little you struggle to catch where you are supposed to be looking at at times, it comes not only a skill of focusing, but a big skill in composition and storytelling.

I think anything past 1.2 is a bit of a niche, the plane of focus gets sooooooooo thin it becomes uncomfortable to look at.

I've seen some 0.95 samples and even the in focus areas are sooooo little you struggle to catch where you are supposed to be looking at at times, it comes not only a skill of focusing, but a big skill in composition and storytelling.

Knowing what picture really suits that look and which don't is surely the key but the zero DoF looks seems to be very in at the moment almost regardless of suitability.

He said the 50mm f/1.2 and 28-70mm f/2 would be very difficult or impossible without the larger mount and short flange yet they somehow managed it with the EF 50mm f/1.2. Now perhaps that's just testimony to the ability of Canon but it's all rather meaningless until we actually have products that show off that ability, as it stands no matter how good the new mounts may potentially be the best lens designs (at least for me) are with Sony (mostly because they're the latest designs).

I'm suspecting the end result will be much the same as now except the larger mounts will have some exotic beasts like the 28-70mm, that is an advantage but how many people really need/want one of those? It was only a few weeks ago there were a spate of articles trying to tell us we probably didn't need those big and expensive f/1.4 lenses when we have such good f/1.8 ones but now suddenly it's super important to have a larger mount? I'm a little doubtful.

EF mount has a much larger flange distance. He clearly said it's a combination of mount diameter AND flange distance. So EF mount is not a good comparison.

I'd never buy a 28-70mm f2. But definitely interested in a small 35mm F1.8 macro or f1.2 primes.

Last edited:
GRR Sony Pro Support dont accept lenses i bought from panamoz....

im one sony lens down from being eligable!

Whats the cheapest qualifies sony lens i can buy lol?

Knowing what picture really suits that look and which don't is surely the key but the zero DoF looks seems to be very in at the moment almost regardless of suitability.

I've been doing the thin DOF thing for years, been accused of overdoing it (at times, probably right), always looking for new ways to make it fresh, even bought a Tilt-Shift lens to experiment, all my lenses are pretty much the fastest you can get with the exception that I don't have a EF 50/1.0 and almost at all times I am shooting at max aperture. Nailing focus is 2nd nature but the hardest part is knowing what works and when.

I've been doing the thin DOF thing for years, been accused of overdoing it (at times, probably right), always looking for new ways to make it fresh, even bought a Tilt-Shift lens to experiment, all my lenses are pretty much the fastest you can get with the exception that I don't have a EF 50/1.0 and almost at all times I am shooting at max aperture. Nailing focus is 2nd nature but the hardest part is knowing what works and when.

Overdone or not is after all just an opinion but it could certainly give a look that others aren't giving.

Thanks for the info but not a UK company, as far as can see, there address on the website is just a Mailbox
and website info shows Hong kong:

Domain name:
procamerashop.co.uk

Registrant:
Smart Choice Photo Ltd

Trading as:
ProCameraShop

Registrant type:
Non-UK Corporation

Registrant's address:
Flat/Rm 813, 8/F
Hollywood Plaza
610 Nathan Road
Kowloon
Hong Kong

So there’s a lot of copy variances? What issues specifically Chris?

An art would mean that I could fund a 50 too, either the art or the 55 1.8? Only thinking about dipping my toe in really as moving along my second body.

I like a little ‘soul’ rather than absolute sharpness if that helps.

Changed your mind quickly?

Changed your mind quickly?

Kinda.

I've been on the fence, thinking that I'll run my current bodies into the ground. But then now is the time to trade in some of what I have to fund. Like many, was hoping the Z6 was going to revolutionise my world and be the obvious upgrade route. Had one of those moments last week where I just fancied something new, as you do. I'll keep a 750 with the longer lenses and give an A73 with a 35 a go. Probably add a 50 to it very soon. A bit of rationalising gear isn't such a bad thing in the process.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info but not a UK company, as far as can see, there address on the website is just a Mailbox
and website info shows Hong kong:

Domain name:
procamerashop.co.uk

Registrant:
Smart Choice Photo Ltd

Trading as:
ProCameraShop

Registrant type:
Non-UK Corporation

Registrant's address:
Flat/Rm 813, 8/F
Hollywood Plaza
610 Nathan Road
Kowloon
Hong Kong

On their website it says 5 year U.K Warranty.

Kinda.

I've been on the fence, thinking that I'll run my current bodies into the ground. But then now is the time to trade in some of what I have to fund. Like many, was hoping the Z6 was going to revolutionise my world and be the obvious upgrade route. Had one of those moments last week where I just fancied something new, as you do. I'll keep a 750 with the longer lenses and give an A73 with a 35 a go. Probably add a 50 to it very soon. A bit of rationalising gear isn't such a bad thing in the process.

It's a great camera. I came from a few d750s and don't regret it at all especially with the 35 art and 85 Fe 1.8. cheap lens setup that delivers. The 50 art is also superb.

So there’s a lot of copy variances? What issues specifically Chris?

An art would mean that I could fund a 50 too, either the art or the 55 1.8? Only thinking about dipping my toe in really as moving along my second body.

I like a little ‘soul’ rather than absolute sharpness if that helps.

55 1.8 is meant to be super sharp - not tried one myself as no funds!

The 35mm 2.8 Samyang or Sony is also a handy littel lens to have when wanting to go super light.

Well isn't it just the same as Panamoz then? The real question is how much faith you have in them honouring the warranty.

I don't care if you buy it or not :D

Was just trying to help as you said you where struggling to find one. Their website suggests that it's genuine U.K stock with the standard 5 year warranty.

It's a great camera. I came from a few d750s and don't regret it at all especially with the 35 art and 85 Fe 1.8. cheap lens setup that delivers. The 50 art is also superb.

Are those the two lenses you’ve kept? I think you shoot similar stuff as I do so the art is on the list. Did you try a distagon?

Well, if you are planning to join, both Groups need to be EU sourced, so if you have an A9 and A7III, both needs to be EU. A7III bought from WEX will count, A7III from Panamoz won't.
i wouldnt nother buying from grey if you plan to join the pro support as ive just found out...

what about used items if they are sourced from UK/EU?

what about used items if they are sourced from UK/EU?

You may have to get copy receipt from original owner?

All 4 of my lenses technically qualifies..

24GM - Bought new myself from LCE
35ZA - Bought new myself from LCE
50ZA - Bought used from ffords
85GM - Bought used from forum member but have his receipt

I know the first 2 will be 100%....not sure if buying used from a store counts, but I guess a receipt for the 85GM also counts as it's not tied to a named person on the receipt.

You may have to get copy receipt from original owner?

All 4 of my lenses technically qualifies..

24GM - Bought new myself from LCE
35ZA - Bought new myself from LCE
50ZA - Bought used from ffords
85GM - Bought used from forum member but have his receipt

I know the first 2 will be 100%....not sure if buying used from a store counts, but I guess a receipt for the 85GM also counts as it's not tied to a named person on the receipt.
The 24gm is not listed... So as the 400mm gm!

I don't care if you buy it or not :D

Was just trying to help as you said you where struggling to find one. Their website suggests that it's genuine U.K stock with the standard 5 year warranty.

What are you talking about? I'm not the one considering it, I'm bloody VAT registered.

Are those the two lenses you’ve kept? I think you shoot similar stuff as I do so the art is on the list. Did you try a distagon?

Yup, 35/85 is spot on. The 85 1.8 is a must have, cheap but so good, puts the Nikkor to shame.

I tried (extensively) all 3 35 1.4 for the system, optically I was disappointed by the Zeiss, the sigma is a better performer wide open and the Zeiss CA is really bad... For me it's to much money for worse performance. The Samyang is pretty great but had the worse caf.

Last edited:
Back