The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

24 has arrived and it's so tiny and light!

I've got the 35 and thats tiny - be interest in how you get on with it.

Trying to decide between cheap and cheerful with the 24 or blowing my bugdet and getting the 25mm Zeiss Batis !

I've got the 35 and thats tiny - be interest in how you get on with it.

Trying to decide between cheap and cheerful with the 24 or blowing my bugdet and getting the 25mm Zeiss Batis !

Not sure why anyone would buy the 25mm Batis now that the 24mm GM is available.

There's an article on Luminous Landsdscape about the Canon R, and this caught my eye say...

"Michael and I have a conversation about his use of the Canon R for an extended time. While many of us were critical of the camera when we first saw it, it seems that the Canon R is a camera that needs to grow on you. Michael likes it and made some really good use of it."

I'd say that any new thing needs time before an informed judgement can be made unless there's some obvious issue such as a serious limitation or missing feature or ability. Looking at some of the repeated criticisms of the Sony A7x series including the menu, the colours and the ergonomics maybe these things are things that need time to grow on you too.

And before I get accused yet again of being a Sony fanboy (in a Sony thread) by Swiss Tony or some other forum semi troll I'll add that I agree with the comment on LL and the reason I'm bringing Sony into it is I've never really understood some of the criticisms as IMO they're often issues which could will melt away over a fairly short familiarisation period, same for other brands and models too I'm sure.

GM? Tiny? Light?

No, it’s the Samyang 24mm f2.8

Let me know your thoughts! Looking to get one to chuck in the bag. I don't shoot that wide very often but will be nice to have something that wide just in case!

Let me know your thoughts! Looking to get one to chuck in the bag. I don't shoot that wide very often but will be nice to have something that wide just in case!

My thoughts too but I have three old manual 24mm f2.8's so with the Samyang I'd "only" really gain AF and any IQ a more modern lens could bring. If I didn't have the manual 24's I'd probably get the Samyang.

which ones have you got Alan? I'm new to Sony and have an olympus 24/2.8 which looks fine but I've no experience of others

I have an Olympus 24mm f2.8 and also a Minolta Rokkor and a Miranda in Canon FD mount. Of these I'd say that the Minolta is the best but really I'm nit picking between the Minolta and the Olympus here and either are easily good enough whilst the Miranda has too much vignetting to be the best of these three but its party piece is that it focuses noticeably close than the other two. I think the Zuiko's look lovely but I do think that the aperture control is a bit clunky compared to the other lenses I have.

I really like the Olympus 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8's and 50mm f1.8 as they're just tiny and lovely.

PS.
One thing that attracts me to these old lenses over native ones is that you can use them on just about any camera so at some point in the future if Nikon make a super duper camera I can buy one and continue to use my old lenses. All I'd need is a new adapter.

Last edited:
I began shooting with olympus in the 1980s on film so it is odd to have come full circle. I've now got a 24mm, 35mm shift lens (my fave), 50/1.8 and 135/2.8 plus a 75-150 zoom I don't think I will use. I'd heard good things about both Canon fd and Minolta Rokkor wide angles but I'm glad to hear they are close enough for me not to be overly concerned.

I began shooting with olympus in the 1980s on film so it is odd to have come full circle. I've now got a 24mm, 35mm shift lens (my fave), 50/1.8 and 135/2.8 plus a 75-150 zoom I don't think I will use. I'd heard good things about both Canon fd and Minolta Rokkor wide angles but I'm glad to hear they are close enough for me not to be overly concerned.

IMO OM primes are generally on the top. They work quite nicely and I am yet to come across a real lemon. I had a whole collection of them. My favourites being the OM21/3.5 and OM100/2.8 which just has one the loveliest bokeh.

I keep thinking about a 35mm but as I am selling my fourth (possibly fifth) Fuji x100 camera primarily because I so rarely use the 35mm focal length I am trying to resist. I would like something in the 85-100 range though so I will keep my eyes open for the 100/2.8

There's an article on Luminous Landsdscape about the Canon R, and this caught my eye say...

"Michael and I have a conversation about his use of the Canon R for an extended time. While many of us were critical of the camera when we first saw it, it seems that the Canon R is a camera that needs to grow on you. Michael likes it and made some really good use of it."

I'd say that any new thing needs time before an informed judgement can be made unless there's some obvious issue such as a serious limitation or missing feature or ability. Looking at some of the repeated criticisms of the Sony A7x series including the menu, the colours and the ergonomics maybe these things are things that need time to grow on you too.

And before I get accused yet again of being a Sony fanboy (in a Sony thread) by Swiss Tony or some other forum semi troll I'll add that I agree with the comment on LL and the reason I'm bringing Sony into it is I've never really understood some of the criticisms as IMO they're often issues which could will melt away over a fairly short familiarisation period, same for other brands and models too I'm sure.

I agree I have always said I could get used to pretty much any recent modern camera as long as it has minimum of two dials and an EVF.

Being honest I think there's only minor differences between any of these old mass market lenses. I suppose it's really the same with modern lenses too, only us geeks are going to notice or care about the difference between (for example) a Nikon and Canon 50mm. I mostly like the Minolta Rokkors but apart from the bokeh at wide apertures the differences between them and the Zuiko's or FD's or anything else will arguably/probably not be visible in a whole picture even to us geeks.

No idea idea if these are any good or not but Amazon will be dropping the price of them tomorrow at 8.00 a.m as part of the black friday offers.

Commlite Auto Focus EF-NEX EF-E MOUNT Lens Mount Adapter for Canon EF EF-S Lens to Sony E Mount NEX 3/3N/5N/5R/7/A7 A7R

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DW0EV2I

The ergonomics never really grow on you though, it doesn't fit comfortably into your hand it just has the benefit of being small and the buttons are well placed (I think the R has the opposite problem) but in truth I could care less, I only use short lenses so they sit pretty well.

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, it's best not to bring other brands into it as if at this point they're still trotting out nonsense about colour science they probably don't care about the actual differences.

The ergonomics never really grow on you though, it doesn't fit comfortably into your hand it just has the benefit of being small and the buttons are well placed (I think the R has the opposite problem) but in truth I could care less, I only use short lenses so they sit pretty well.

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, it's best not to bring other brands into it as if at this point they're still trotting out nonsense about colour science they probably don't care about the actual differences.

I think you have to bring other brands into things otherwise you can lose perspective. I don't want to be tied to Sony or anything else so gotta keep at least a passing interest in everything that's going on.

Last edited:
Dale photographic used to sell a lot of grey import stuff although their website says they don't any more. This could be grey as well. Might as well order from Panamoz with the 3 year warranty for £1670.00

I was under the impression this is UK official

Just out of curiosity, any wedding guys use 128gb cards?

I’ve got all 64gb, but have thought about 128gb in the backup slot. Also thinking 128 might be good if I ever get an R version or try video more?

I still have my old 32gn Sandisk ones that seem to be working perfectly - only 95mbs but not really seen any issues.

Was looking for the Samyang 24mm in black friday but E-Infinity have it at £209 which will be hard to match!

I still have my old 32gn Sandisk ones that seem to be working perfectly - only 95mbs but not really seen any issues.

Was looking for the Samyang 24mm in black friday but E-Infinity have it at £209 which will be hard to match!

It is only the 128gb 95mbs cards that there is an issue with

Back