The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If you're prepared to go grey market you can get a brand new A7R3 for £1885

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3470/sony_alpha_a7r_iii_mirrorless_digital_camera_body_only
I didn’t know they are as low as that grey.

There’s a general overview of the differences a few pages back from one of the wedding guys. I was going to mention the grey price. For the difference grey, I’d go with that. From everything I’ve read the main difference is af and battery life which clearly are two of your priorities.

I’m a few weeks into an A73 and still learning the AF a little, but it’s a serious step up from the 750. The whole experience makes shooting almost a little too easy.
I’ve been reading up on the A7Rii, AF is the biggest issue and battery life isn’t get either. Reading the A7iii and A7Riii reviews it seems most of issues from the previous issues are solved. I’m starting to think the A7iii version would potentially be a better option for me. I don’t really need the higher MP sensor. I will have to look at the finances of it all and start filtering out the Nikon gear if I do make the move. The move has already got a bit more expensive as reviews don’t rate the 24-70 f4 and recommend the 24-105 f4 instead.

Last edited:
Thanks I will have a look at that. Perhaps the 24-70 f4 wouldn’t be so bad, it seems it not as sharp with the large 42MP sensors. The 24MP sensor on the A7iii probably would be ok with the 24-70 f4, the lighter weight would be great for landscapes too.

I haven't used it but from the reviews I recall the complaint wasn't that it was a bad lens, it just didn't perform inline with its price.

Anyone using a 3rd party cable shutter release for bulb mode? It’s £5.99 or so vs £55 for the Sony which has a couple of buttons extra.

I use a cheapo cable release, works every time. I have no need to release the camera for a distance, and of course the self timer is still an option.

The only reason I use a release is to stop any vibrations when I press the shutter release on the camera itself.

46741319_2371019346259442_1244495026310873088_o.jpg

A7III | Sigma Art 35 | two very cold hands

Anyone using a 3rd party cable shutter release for bulb mode? It’s £5.99 or so vs £55 for the Sony which has a couple of buttons extra.

Yep, I bought a cheap one off eBay, works fine. It's like the Yongnuo one that I used with my 6D, time, interval, number of shots, etc. I forgot to pack it on this trip so used the android app Sony Play Memories mobile. Worked fine for bulb. When you start the exposure a timer starts so you know how long the shutter's been open for. It might have more features but I just used it quickly.

I use a cheapo cable release, works every time. I have no need to release the camera for a distance, and of course the self timer is still an option.

The only reason I use a release is to stop any vibrations when I press the shutter release on the camera itself.

I don't think you can set a time for bulb in camera which is what Raymond wanted it for.

Cheap and cheerful 50mm has arrived.

It is very plastic, but suprisingly sold, feeld better than the 1.8g from Nikon.

Will see how the AF is later!

10% off sony lenses at Wex for cyber Monday. Ordered the 24mm GM :banana:

Wowza.

I used my Miranda 24mm f2.8 last week, it vignettes like crazy but it's within the range CS5 can correct so it's not a problem at lower ISO's but may give noise issues at higher. Apart from playing with that I've just bought another 35mm :D

Cheap and cheerful 50mm has arrived.

It is very plastic, but suprisingly sold, feeld better than the 1.8g from Nikon.

Will see how the AF is later!

Hope it's ok.

I'd be worried about the cheaper focus systems after my experience with the 50mm macro which I thought was absolutely pants focus wise.

I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate tilt-screens on mirrorless cameras (and only some dslrs), and how gear can make good photography easier on you.

Photographing children from mere feet away, having to move around almost constantly for two hours and react to spontaneous happenings - being able to shoot from their height and sometimes lower without having to stoop every time to take a shot - well that's just nice.

It's just another thing that makes me glad I picked the A9 instead of the 1dx/5dm4/D5

and i feel little things like this might not be considered by some, and should.

Last edited:
I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate tilt-screens on mirrorless cameras (and only some dslrs), and how gear can make good photography easier on you.

Photographing children from mere feet away, having to move around almost constantly for two hours and react to spontaneous happenings - being able to shoot from their height and sometimes lower without having to stoop every time to take a shot - well that's just nice.

It's just another thing that makes me glad I picked the A9 instead of the 1dx/5dm4/D5

Yup exactly.

Little things make this camera sensational really.

Loving it for my stuff I do too.

Great stuff. I remember when tilt screens were looked down upon - much like touch screens as they were considered entry level features.

I used my Miranda 24mm f2.8 last week, it vignettes like crazy but it's within the range CS5 can correct so it's not a problem at lower ISO's but may give noise issues at higher. Apart from playing with that I've just bought another 35mm :D

Interested to know what tempted you to get another

Wife was tidying yesterday and found her Dad's OM1 MD (battered vintage 1975-1979) with a nice lens, the 50 f1.4;
along with his mint cased SUN 80-240 f4 zoom, presumably poor quality and too heavy to use much

Interested to know what tempted you to get another

Wife was tidying yesterday and found her Dad's OM1 MD (battered vintage 1975-1979) with a nice lens, the 50 f1.4;
along with his mint cased SUN 80-240 f4 zoom, presumably poor quality and too heavy to use much

They're cheap or at least relatively cheap and they're all slightly different.

If you like playing with kit, and I do, buying old lenses and seeing how they perform at different apertures and with different subjects is relatively cheap fun and it gives me an excuse to get out and play.

I've decided to move back to an A6xxx system as I'm not shooting much digital landscape anymore, nor any studio, so I'd prefer the more compact system. I bought a pretty much brand new (3 months' old) Tamron 28-75 iii RXD from Nandbytes last week to use on my A7, and whilst it's an excellent lens with a very flexible range, I've decided to go back to a few prime lenses for the weight saving on an A6500. I'm also going to be selling my Nikon Pre-AI 20mm 3.5 wide angle lens with FE adaptor as I'll be getting a wider lens for crop. As a result, there will be some FE gear going up into the Classifieds today if anyone is interested or has an A6500/Zeiss 55mm they fancy a trade with :)

I did read that and they're not the lenses I'd have picked but few would agree with my choices.

I wouldn't have picked the 28mm. It may be a nice focal length and it may be a nice lens but I'm sure I've read that it's not a great 28mm. If it perfumed like the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 I could understand the choice but from what I've read it doesn't get to that sort of level.

I think with a lot of this stuff we're nit picking and in a whole picture we're possibly not going to see the limitations but nit picking is sometimes the point if we're making lists of best lenses.

Last edited:
Hi i am trying to claim cashbakc on my 90mm sony f2.8 macro lens i purchased on the 5th Nov and i keep getting this error?

• All claims should be submitted after 30 days from the purchase date shown on your proof of purchase. Purchase date must be between 17.10.18 and 31.01.19 (inclusive).

edit. so i cant submit and have to wait 30days from 5th nov? why?

Because in case you claim it and then return the lens, most retailers have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Makes sense I guess, helps them keep hold of the money for a month.

How much do you incorporate a 24 into your weddings Ray? More for tight venues to get in close?

Makes sense I guess, helps them keep hold of the money for a month.

How much do you incorporate a 24 into your weddings Ray? More for tight venues to get in close?

24 for tight rooms, when space is restricted, dancefoor is good for that.

But as a focal length, it is not a lens i naturally go towards, I have a friend who is much more a lover of the 24mm than i am, she is actually really good but she is on Nikon D750.

For the Sony, I've shot a couple of weddings with it, but they are in the queue at the moment so I don't have many to show this minute except these.

dVD6Cyl.jpg

dexr8CQ.jpg

V1r9zrh.jpg

NTt06oR.jpg

I don't think that 24mm is a great focal length for weddings it's generally either not long enough or not wide enough.

I really like the 24mm GM but I have taken it to 5 weddings, I took a couple of shots with at the first one and haven't used again since. Won't be taking it any more. I didn't buy it for weddings anyway so no biggy.

I struggle a bit with the distortion at 24mm. It’s handy to have for tight spaces and was the reason I kept a 24-70, good for dancefloor too, but it’s not a FL that I’ve ever warmed to. I might look at the 28 but it’s a bit too close to 35. Having said that, I still think that 28/55 would make a great travel option. I’ll get xmas out the way and give it some thought.

I struggle a bit with the distortion at 24mm. It’s handy to have for tight spaces and was the reason I kept a 24-70, good for dancefloor too, but it’s not a FL that I’ve ever warmed to. I might look at the 28 but it’s a bit too close to 35. Having said that, I still think that 28/55 would make a great travel option. I’ll get xmas out the way and give it some thought.

For the dance floor I pretty much just use a 16-35.

I am using my 24mm G.M and a 55mm as my travel gear.

Back