The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Theres a bigger challenge than manually focusing an f0.95 lens?

Where then? AF? Fitting the electronics in? I doubt either are mount size critical.

The engineering challenge of making a fast and accurate AF, as it will be a lot of glass to move with 1.0.

I mean if it is easy, why do they stop at MF and why not put in an AF motor which will open up to most of the market?

Last edited:
The engineering challenge of making a fast and accurate AF, as it will be a lot of glass to move with 1.0.

I mean if it is easy, why do they stop at MF and why not put in an AF motor which will open up to most of the market?

And make it twice as big and twice as expensive and cost them a crap load of money in R&D and people whining because they cant hit focus and 'most' of the market will not buy these lenses. A company cant make big sales from a unicorn like that.

Canon did it already on DSLR design. But looking at the size of the Nikon noct 58/0.95 it seems more of a challenge with such a lens. And as Tanaka-san said it wouldn't make much business sense. Also makes me wonder why Nikon is making a £3+K huge MF lens.

And make it twice as big and twice as expensive and cost them a crap load of money in R&D and people whining because they cant hit focus and 'most' of the market will not buy these lenses. A company cant make big sales from a unicorn like that.

You just listed the challenges...good to know we are in agreement :p

Canon did it already on DSLR design. But looking at the size of the Nikon noct 58/0.95 it seems more of a challenge with such a lens. And as Tanaka-san said it wouldn't make much business sense. Also makes me wonder why Nikon is making a £3+K huge MF lens.

Yes I know, I own Canon. Canon already makes a 50/1.0 in AF, a 58/0.95, at least on paper, seems like a joke to make such a big deal out of. I've said this before, 20 years ago Canon makde the 50/1.0 with a focus motor, Nikon is bringing out a 58/0.95 manual focus....on both spec and price it makes no sense.

Why are we having a discussion about having to pay to rent the adobe products, when we only use Lightroom, and don’t want to use storage or Photoshop?

The simple answer would be to purchase LR6 outright, as we did in the past. Available from John Lewis for £119.99 or from Adobe for £114 (as a download).

Here is a link from Shotkit about the pros and cons of purchase re subscription: https://shotkit.com/buy-lightroom/

...and here is a link to purchase from Adobe: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/using/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

HTH.

Why are we having a discussion about having to pay to rent the adobe products, when we only use Lightroom, and don’t want to use storage or Photoshop?

The simple answer would be to purchase LR6 outright, as we did in the past. Available from John Lewis for £119.99 or from Adobe for £114 (as a download).

Here is a link from Shotkit about the pros and cons of purchase re subscription: https://shotkit.com/buy-lightroom/

...and here is a link to purchase from Adobe: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/using/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

HTH.

It cant open A7iii or newer cameras RAW, thats enough reason to sub.

HTH.
The problem is, LR6.14 was the final release and is no longer supported, I can't open my Sony A7 III RAW files on it.
I only really use LR6.14, need to find a way to get my Sony A7 III RAW files converted so I can open them up with LR6.14. :(

Agreed, DNG converter, that solves the newer camera problems if you don't want to pay the subscription.

I think some of them stop at MF because they don't have a history of doing AF (and might not have access to the protocols so they'd have reverse engineer the mounts.) If there's a will and enough money I don't think the electronics and mechanisms are a prohibitive challenge. The lens will be a lump and it may not focus blisteringly quickly but I think it could be quite accurate on mirrorless as peaking is quite accurate at wider apertures so if the camera can do that I think it could AF quite well.

Last edited:
I will take a look when I get some spare time...... :)
Got all my LR library on my new MacBook Pro 13" now :D
So your willing to spend almost 2k on a laptop but not a tenner a month for software? Lol [emoji23] come on lad cough up the tenner. I'm sure you lose more then a tenner of cash falling from your pockets to your sofa or washin machine!

So your willing to spend almost 2k on a laptop but not a tenner a month for software? Lol [emoji23] come on lad cough up the tenner. I'm sure you lose more then a tenner of cash falling from your pockets to your sofa or washin machine!

There's also the view that Adobe are a bunch of twots to consider. I hate the prospect of giving them another 1p.

I’m effectively paying £6.25 a month for my LR CC subscription. I don’t used photoshop as I’m all a lightroom but I do use the website builder and spark. There are other ways to have LR CC without paying the full monthly rate.
What are the other ways? Care to shed some light? :)

:D ermmm lol

Or renew every black Friday or Xmas and it's 6 a month :rolleyes:

I contacted Adobe via their online chat contact page when their Black Friday deal was on to have a polite moan that it was unfair that existing users could not get the benefit of their BF deals as I still had 3 months left on my existing subscription. Within 10 minutes they had cancelled my existing subscription, opened a new subscription plan and reduced my payment to £6.93. I was quite impressed with them for doing so and look forward to enjoying the coffee with the money I saved :)

I contacted Adobe via their online chat contact page when their Black Friday deal was on to have a polite moan that it was unfair that existing users could not get the benefit of their BF deals as I still had 3 months left on my existing subscription. Within 10 minutes they had cancelled my existing subscription, opened a new subscription plan and reduced my payment to £6.93. I was quite impressed with them for doing so and look forward to enjoying the coffee with the money I saved :)

You didn't need to do that though.

If you had of bought the annual package offered on Amazon and added it to your adobe account the subscription payment stops for a year.

If you had of bought the annual package offered on Amazon and added it to your adobe account the subscription payment stops for a year.

I for one actually prefer making all my payments monthly plus the cost overall I think would be about the same as annual subscription but I will note it for next years moan at therm :)

So basically you buy annual package when it's on offer and then top it up when necessary?

So don't, nobody is forcing you to use Adobe. People are moaning but they all want to continue using their products. :LOL:

You know where this is going though don't you? One day Adobe will start putting in micro transactions just to work on a photo, want to apply some sharpening? That'll be 0.1p please!

Just need keep eyes out for deals

Back