The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not done much with the flash on my A7R but having a little one i want to start. Tried a few shots last night and they all look washed out.
Camera was in Aperture mode, set to F4, auto iso. Flash is a Nissin i40 set to auto and i tried TTL as well both poor results, i tried adjusting what i thought was the flash comp to -2.0 and it didnt seem to make any difference.

Not done much with the flash on my A7R but having a little one i want to start. Tried a few shots last night and they all look washed out.
Camera was in Aperture mode, set to F4, auto iso. Flash is a Nissin i40 set to auto and i tried TTL as well both poor results, i tried adjusting what i thought was the flash comp to -2.0 and it didnt seem to make any difference.

Why are you using auto ISO with flash?

Been having a quick read through this thread since i not had time to do much but I see to have more time now I have settled and it now bloody raining lol..

I have also been looking into software as just fed up paying adobe sub but nothing seems to beat it.

Capture 1 can't get on with it
On1 seem pretty good but I seem to see fringed on the images but when I zoom in the fringed not there. So confuse about that
DXO Photolab just cant seem to get on with it.

Turn the ISO to fixed number, probably 200 and aperture to f5.6/f8 and try again.

Been having a quick read through this thread since i not had time to do much but I see to have more time now I have settled and it now bloody raining lol..

I have also been looking into software as just fed up paying adobe sub but nothing seems to beat it.

On1 seem pretty good but I seem to see fringed on the images but when I zoom in the fringed not there. So confuse about that

So you know you need to keep paying Adobe then.

Turn the ISO to fixed number, probably 200 and aperture to f5.6/f8 and try again.

Actually. Shoot in manual, shutter at 1/200. Aperture f8. ISO 200. Put the flash in manual. Take a shot and reduce flash power as required.

Have you tried Affinity? I hear that's pretty decent!

It seem it the only way forward and people willing to pay for the sub.

On1 is really good I like it just trying to find why previewing images in browser showing this tings..

A little while there was a bit of talk about the Sandisk 95mbs cards.

I received some 64gb and 256gb yesterday and tried them in the camera today none of them will work in slot 1. Just gives an error message saying to replace the card in slot 1. The same error that was talked about online for the 128gb cards.

Have now tried in another non Sony camera and they work fine.

Have also spoken to Sony customer services who said they are being inundated with calls about this and they hope to resolve via a firmware update.

Last edited:
It seem it the only way forward and people willing to pay for the sub.

On1 is really good I like it just trying to find why previewing images in browser showing this tings..

Well why not, on Black Friday its like £80 for a year. If its making your images better why wouldn't you accept the cost? We spend thousands on gear, PP is a huge part of the end result.

That what I though

And I your using LR i bet

I am. I like the workflow, i know my way round the program, any questions there are ENDLESS resources out there from forums to videos. I actually bought a 12 month top up 2 weeks ago for like £75.

At work I have the full Adobe suite, you can see I have InDesign and illustrator opened at the bottom.

oMgN5gc.png

Well why not, on Black Friday its like £80 for a year. If its making your images better why wouldn't you accept the cost? We spend thousands on gear, PP is a huge part of the end result.

I looked for it at £80 and didn't find it at that price on black friday

Exactly, I feel it's worth paying for, an essential tool for me.

How do you get your Sony files to work?!
Only the A7III RAWs doesn't work. The rest work.
I have an A7RIII which was the last Sony body to get added to the perpetual LR6 licence:)

Even then you can get A7III RAWs to work by converting them to DNG first and Adobe provides a free DNG converter.

while i don't use the full value of the subscription services (LR 90% of the time and PS 10%) - at £10 a month its about the cost of 3 cups of coffee. Which is not terribly expensive when considering the costs of GAS related purchases.

while i don't use the full value of the subscription services (LR 90% of the time and PS 10%) - at £10 a month its about the cost of 3 cups of coffee. Which is not terribly expensive when considering the costs of GAS related purchases.
It's not about the cost which as you say isn't that much, its more the principal of it. You wouldn't pay subscription to read the same magazine with small grammar check every iteration for 12 months in a year would?

It's not about the cost which as you say isn't that much, its more the principal of it. You wouldn't pay subscription to read the same magazine with small grammar check every iteration for 12 months in a year would?

I look at it at renting a prime real estate plot, sure you can get other plots of land far far away, but May Fair will always be May Fair.

Do you like/remember the price of standalone photoshop before the sub model? As someone who uses most Adobe products I find the sub model pretty good value.

Cant please everyone, CC is actually affordable where most could never afford the standalone adobe products before.

Do you like the price of standalone photoshop before the sub model? As someone who uses most Adobe products I find the sub model pretty good value.

Cant please everyone, CC is actually affordable where most could never afford the standalone adobe products before.
I never bought Photoshop. I just want lightroom.

I look at it at renting a prime real estate plot, sure you can get other plots of land far far away, but May Fair will always be May Fair.
Except you could lease that plot for a good few years for the same amount as you are paying now in rent. Good deal right?

Do you like the price of standalone photoshop before the sub model? As someone who uses most Adobe products I find the sub model pretty good value.

I remember those were like £600, it was so expensive I didn't know a single person would buy it but everyone was using it, if you know what i mean.

Even if you were buying it, you would not be upgrading every year. You would wait a couple of years and skip a version or 2, missing out features for a while.

Now everyone subscribe and features are getting added when they pop up, updates whenever and you get it the same day, not when you decide to upgrade.

Except you could lease that plot for a good few years for the same amount as you are paying now in rent. Good deal right?

I would have to rent for about 8 years to be equal to 1 purchase of Lightroom and Photoshop.

I used to buy LR every year, at £110 I recall, I think I did that for about 3 versions straight. Now I pay this much and I get PS with it.

I remember those were like £600, it was so expensive I didn't know a single person would buy it but everyone was using it, if you know what i mean.

Even if you were buying it, you would not be upgrading every year. You would wait a couple of years and skip a version or 2, missing out features for a while.

Now everyone subscribe and features are getting added when they pop up, updates whenever and you get it the same day, not when you decide to upgrade.

Yup, it was really expensive, mainly only companies that could afford it. I remember the price of Quark when that was the only industry standard software :eek:... now that was expensive.

A lot of people do and considering the cost of PS as a standalone and LR then the package is a bargain. You keep doing what you are if you're unhappy.

Well this model may work for them. As I said it's not about the money for me. They had the subscription model before but they also let you buy perpectual licences which worked for everyone. So yes they could please everyone but they just choose not to.

I would have to rent for about 8 years to be equal to 1 purchase of Lightroom and Photoshop.

I used to buy LR every year, at £110 I recall, I think I did that for about 3 versions straight. Now I pay this much and I get PS with it.

But you never needed Photoshop did you till they forced it upon you?

So well done for buying something you didn't need. Abode marketing and business model is exactly for you :p

Yup, it was really expensive, mainly only companies that could afford it. I remember the price of Quark when that was the only industry standard software :eek:... now that was expensive.

I studied Architecture at university and I had AutoCAD and Maya...to get those it is the price of a small car.

But you never needed Photoshop did you till they forced it upon you?

So well done for buying something you didn't need. Abode marketing and business model is exactly for you :p

Without Photoshop I am still quids in...not sure what your point is?

And I have used Photoshop for projects that LR would not have managed, so yes, as it turned out, it is needed.

I studied Architecture at university and I had AutoCAD and Maya...to get those it is the price of a small car.

Ha ha yeah, still expensive, these guys complain about a £99 PA sub, Maya is £1750 PA and Revit is £2600.

Photoshop is much better for retouching and masks etc etc than LR. Really need both.

Without Photoshop I am still quids in...not sure what your point is?

I paid £75 for LR6 about nearly 3 years ago. But even if I paid the standard £110 for it I am still better off with LR6 than I would have been with subscription.

Back