The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There are some reviews of the 135mm f1.8 on the rumor site by Jason Lanier, Jason Vong and Marc Galer...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new...ws-by-jason-lanier-jason-vong-and-marc-galer/

I haven't seen anything from Jason Lanier for a while. The last I read was that he was no longer a Sony artisan, or whatever, and was in a battle with the Angry Photographer. Anyone know what happened over all that?

Anyway, lovely lens...

According to JL YouTube video he threatened AP with legal action and AP shat himself. I don't think AP has mentioned his name in one of his videos since.

Coincidentally I met JL at a rotolight workshop this morning. Had a chat with him about glass and he rates the canon 28-70 f2 as the best lens he has ever used.

According to JL YouTube video he threatened AP with legal action and AP shat himself. I don't think AP has mentioned his name in one of his videos since.

Coincidentally I met JL at a rotolight workshop this morning. Had a chat with him about glass and he rates the canon 28-70 f2 as the best lens he has ever used.

so he is now swapping to canon?

I noticed he had a video with Nikon Z7 too. I haven't watched it... is he still a Sony artisan?

Last edited:

Much as both of them annoy me, AP mentioned him many times after Laniers cringey threats. It was like 2 spoiled fat kids arguing over who's dad was better - but AP made a video specifically about JL's threats and the fact he pulled them down and was kicked as an 'artisan'. AP might be an obnoxious tool himself, but JL is on a whole other level. I used to watch him years back but would end up cringing at most of his videos, the way he spoke and handled models, calling them babe or 'hun' and talking to them as if they had double digit IQ [in fairness, some of them possibly did] - But ... he's loaded, I'm not, so he's doing something right I guess.

Looking forward to the firmware update, AF is pretty damn good as it is.

33605216768_c0873c5653_b.jpg

Much as both of them annoy me, AP mentioned him many times after Laniers cringey threats. It was like 2 spoiled fat kids arguing over who's dad was better - but AP made a video specifically about JL's threats and the fact he pulled them down and was kicked as an 'artisan'. AP might be an obnoxious tool himself, but JL is on a whole other level. I used to watch him years back but would end up cringing at most of his videos, the way he spoke and handled models, calling them babe or 'hun' and talking to them as if they had double digit IQ [in fairness, some of them possibly did] - But ... he's loaded, I'm not, so he's doing something right I guess.
So lanier is not an artisan anymore?

So lanier is not an artisan anymore?

I don't think so, though last I saw he was still whoring Sony gear - maybe a silent one? :D I only came across him again from looking into a Canon lens [200mm 2.8L II], one of his vids came up where he had it adapted to a Sony - I think it was the first time I saw him wowed by anything Canon. Had a quick glance at his channel and he is very much still active and using Sony gear, but artisan I don't think so

Last edited:
I don't think so, though last I saw he was still whoring Sony gear - maybe a silent one? :D I only came across him again from looking into a Canon lens [200mm 2.8L II], one of his vids came up where he had it adapted to a Sony - I think it was the first time I saw him wowed by anything Canon. Had a quick glance at his channel and he is very much still active and using Sony gear, but artisan I don't think so
I am not sure why Sony associated themselves with him in the first place tbh. The other artisans or Sony ambassadors are actually nice/decent people. He was the only one of the lot that was cringe worthy.

I am not sure why Sony associated themselves with him in the first place tbh. The other artisans or Sony ambassadors are actually nice/decent people. He was the only one of the lot that was cringe worthy.

I often wondered the same. Fuji would never ask AP to be one of their ambassadors for example, though he whores them more than anyone I've ever seen promote Fuji. I think Sony just went with it a bit blind at the time as JL had pretty much self proclaimed himself the expert on all things Sony after he switched from Nikon. I remember at the time he made some big announcement video about his switch and proceeded to slag off and argue like a demented child with everyone in the comments who disagreed with his decision

I think a lot of his pictures are lovely but to be honest the way he talks to some of the models in the vids I've seen makes me a little uncomfortable and I'm pretty sure if he spoke to Mrs WW in the same way she'd use her Thai martial arts skills on his backside. Maybe his models are ok with his style though.

I like the angry guy much less and after being caught passing off other peoples pictures as his own I don't know what credibility he has other than as car crash TV. Didn't he also embellish his own photography career? I think I read that there's little to no evidence of him having done the things he said.

The internet eh?

I think a lot of his pictures are lovely but to be honest the way he talks to some of the models in the vids I've seen makes me a little uncomfortable and I'm pretty sure if he spoke to Mrs WW in the same way she'd use her Thai martial arts skills on his backside. Maybe his models are ok with his style though.

I like the angry guy much less and after being caught passing off other peoples pictures as his own I don't know what credibility he has other than as car crash TV. Didn't he also embellish his own photography career? I think I read that there's little to no evidence of him having done the things he said.

The internet eh?

There's a lot of false rumors about him too though, and the people that hate on him go way too far about it at times. I've seen comments on his videos accusing him of lying about his deceased wife [she died if cancer afaik] - in that she never existed! with some even going as far as to suggest if she was real she probably offed herself to get away from him. He is an obnoxious oaf for the most part, but he takes all the hate on the chin. JL seemed to take it way more to heart. Another thing that used to puzzle me about him was that he'd have a team of people around him for shoots, like he was trying to make every shoot seem like some grand, elaborate project. He'd have 4 people holding diffusers, others holding light stands, hair and make up people on site etc ... and yes, his images were nice, but you'd think they were just done by one pro with a standard set up.

what straps are everyone using? I currently have a blackrapid, but have been thinking of changing to the peak design slide.

the buckle on the BR looks like its going to keep banging on the rear screen.

I had a BR RS-7 strap that I used to use with my Canon 7d. Once I switched to the Sony A73 I found the strap too cumbersome and the strap looked too "professional" on the smaller body when I was out and about... a bit overkill if you ask me. Anyhow, I sold it and replaced it with a Peak Design slide lite (in ash colour). It holds my 16-35 f4 and 85 1.8 easily and I'm very confident having it in the configuration of one eyelet and the tripod screw, meaning the camera falls nicely and handily on my right groin in cross body mode. I have now got a 70-200 f4 but don't think that I'll be as confident with that on the slide lite. The original and bigger slide would be fine though.

I had a BR RS-7 strap that I used to use with my Canon 7d. Once I switched to the Sony A73 I found the strap too cumbersome and the strap looked too "professional" on the smaller body when I was out and about... a bit overkill if you ask me. Anyhow, I sold it and replaced it with a Peak Design slide lite (in ash colour). It holds my 16-35 f4 and 85 1.8 easily and I'm very confident having it in the configuration of one eyelet and the tripod screw, meaning the camera falls nicely and handily on my right groin in cross body mode. I have now got a 70-200 f4 but don't think that I'll be as confident with that on the slide lite. The original and bigger slide would be fine though.

Thanks I wasn’t sure if I should go for the full or lite version myself.

I won’t be using an big glass but the wider and padded strap on the full version looks like it would be more comfortable in use.

I often wondered the same. Fuji would never ask AP to be one of their ambassadors for example, though he whores them more than anyone I've ever seen promote Fuji. I think Sony just went with it a bit blind at the time as JL had pretty much self proclaimed himself the expert on all things Sony after he switched from Nikon. I remember at the time he made some big announcement video about his switch and proceeded to slag off and argue like a demented child with everyone in the comments who disagreed with his decision

I think I have only seen half of one video of AP. That was enough to put me off him. I thought he was a nikon fanboi and anti-mirrorless.

had a chat with someone who has the 24mm gm yesterday. i didn't realise how dinky that lens is. looks great.

Is this story about a8s true. 97 mp sensor ouch

what straps are everyone using? I currently have a blackrapid, but have been thinking of changing to the peak design slide.

the buckle on the BR looks like its going to keep banging on the rear screen.

I used Black Rapid Cross Shot Breathe attached to the 70-200.

Couldnt get on with Peak Designs, but really liked the concept.

I've been looking at the Nikon 50mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.4 ai-s. I wonder how the 50mm f1.2 will compare to my Rokkor. One thing I'm struggling to adapt to is that with Nikon everything is the other way round to my other lenses. It catches me every time.

One thing I'm struggling to adapt to is that with Nikon everything is the other way round to my other lenses.

It's also true for the camera body rotary controls, which makes for annoying learning as every shot takes longer than it should if you adjust aperture etc.

I think I have only seen half of one video of AP. That was enough to put me off him. I thought he was a nikon fanboi and anti-mirrorless.

He's both Nikon and Fuji but whores Fuji way more these days. I don't know where the hell he gets the money but he has every Fuji and Nikon camera ever made, inc the newer GFX plus all the lenses to boot. I don't think youtube is that great for money, maybe some kind of inheritance who knows!? He's actually a very intelligent guy, just a bit of a tw@t on the side. The only time I ever look at his vids is when he's showcasing a vintage lens, he has great knowledge on that front. Trouble is, when he does a review on one the prices immediately go up on ebay

It's also true for the camera body rotary controls, which makes for annoying learning as every shot takes longer than it should if you adjust aperture etc.

I had a Nikon SLR for decades but when I went digital I bought Canon DSLR's as at the time everyone said they were better. I don't remember having difficulty adapting to Canon back then so maybe it's just that I'm getting old now :(

On the A7III can you turn the lcd off with an assigned button?

Definitely going to be this camera, the EVF is the same res as my current A7R but the LCD is lower but i do rarely use that.

One thing I'm struggling to adapt to is that with Nikon everything is the other way round to my other lenses. It catches me every time.
In what way? I’ve just moved from Nikon and not noticed that many differences. So far the only trouble I have is my finger trying to find the rear dial! It keeps getting lost on the smaller bony.

In what way? I’ve just moved from Nikon and not noticed that many differences. So far the only trouble I have is my finger trying to find the rear dial! It keeps getting lost on the smaller bony.

The direction you turn the lens to mount and dismount it, the direction you turn the aperture ring wide to small and the focus ring near to infinity are opposite to some other lenses... Canon, Minolta, Olympus.

On the A7III can you turn the lcd off with an assigned button?

Definitely going to be this camera, the EVF is the same res as my current A7R but the LCD is lower but i do rarely use that.
You can. I can’t remember how I did it but I’ve set the bin icon button to switch between rear LCD and EVF operation. I can check later if that helps.

The direction you turn the lens to mount and dismount it, the direction you turn the aperture ring wide to small and the focus ring near to infinity are opposite to some other lenses... Canon, Minolta, Olympus.
I had previously heard canon operated a different ways regarding zoom. I’ve only been using native Sony lenses and don’t think I’ve noticed much difference except the lens release button is on the shutter side which makes changing lenses weird. I’m sure I will get used to it.

Back