The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Is there a way of having the exposure meter show on the screen in manual? Shows up in the evf but only get a value from -2ev, not the full meter?

Neither are sat beside me, so for the present I have the option. :p

I've been thinking about a 50 again, but having had the sammy 50 1.4 and comparing the images that produced with the Sony 50 1.8, I'd buy the Sammy again. However for now I'll be holding out for a well-priced 85 and possibly a Sony 28 f2 as 'prime' kit.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is interested I've put my M Mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 in the classifieds.

It's a lovely lens in very good condition but I'm afraid I just can't get used to focus tab focusing. I feel like I'm juggling the camera. Anyway, it's a lovely lens and if anyone is interested here it is...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/m-mount-voigtlander-35mm-f1-4-nocton-classic.694473/

Well... it sold at the asking price before I'd finished the ad.

What to do with the money...

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is interested I've put my M Mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 in the classifieds.

It's a lovely lens in very good condition but I'm afraid I just can't get used to focus tab focusing. I feel like I'm juggling the camera. Anyway, it's a lovely lens and if anyone is interested here it is...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/m-mount-voigtlander-35mm-f1-4-nocton-classic.694473/

Get one of these.

56706263_1524525834350601_3776496135565213696_o.jpg

That's a pretty good price in all fairness...... The focus tab never bothered me in all honesty.

I lost money on it buy hey ho, I had the use of it. The last one that sold on here went for £180 but that one didn't have the hood and Sony adapter. I think it was a fair price.

I just couldn't get away with the tab and I always felt as if I was about to drop the camera. I've thought about getting another screw mount 35mm f2.5 Color Skopar, that has a focus ring, or one of the new 35mm f2's which also have a focus ring but it's just gas as I do already have the fe mount f1.4 which is a good lens but it's a bit chunkier and it doesn't have that classic styling that the rf lenses have.

Quick question - how good is eye AF-C for A73 or A9 with canon 135f2 or 200f2? I’ve searched but found no clear answer.

Just a quick record shot of last nights scene. The chemical works had a big flare on. When they can't store stuff it goes up the flare stack, AFAIK they try to avoid this as they're burning money so I think they only do this when they have a problem. Anyway, that's what my dad said when he worked there. We could see the light pulsing through the blinds in the dining room and hear the noise whilst sat in the front room watching TV but that's nothing compared to standing at the bottom of the flare where the noise is terrific and a TBH bit frightening. I used to fix the computers in this place so I got to experience it a few times.

A7 and Minolta 50mm f1.7 at f1.7 and ISO 8,000.

9QFCGFY.jpg

I don't think I'd like to live any closer, I don't know how they sleep when there's a flare like this.

There's an A9 in the classifieds.

I don't know if it's a good price or not, but it's there.

I've just checked and the last one seemed to go for quite a bit less.

Last edited:
Anyone recommend a chord style wrist strap? Leica do a nice one but expensive. Only seem to find one cheapo version on amazon?

Anyone recommend a chord style wrist strap? Leica do a nice one but expensive. Only seem to find one cheapo version on amazon?
I rather like just a loop of para cord on mine, a short bit on the less used side stops that ring thing rattling.
A strong shoelace would do almost as well.

Question for people with cameras with dual card slots. How do you use them? And what speed of card is worth getting, i dont mind paying for 300mb/s cards if the camera makes good use of it. I already have a 95mb/s 128gb card.

About this download
Benefits and Improvements from the latest update
  • Adds real-time Eye AF for animals [1]
  • Enables the possibility to operate the real-time EYE AF by half-pressing the shutter button, or by pressing the AF-ON button
  • Addition of the interval shooting function
  • Allows the operation with the wireless remote commander RMT-P1BT
  • Other improvements:
    • [MENU] can be assigned to a custom key
    • [MENU] tab operation with the Fn button
  • Improves the overall stability of the camera
  • [1]
  • It is not possible to detect simultaneously human and animal eyes.
  • Eye detection may not be possible depending on the environment, animal type or the movement of the animal.

Last edited:
Have you updated yet? and does it have any effect on the custom settings like the a9 firmware did resetting them
I updated the A7III this morning and all settings were retained. I was expecting a wipe like on my A9, but no - seamless.

Back