The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Going do mine later. So is there more AF mode options fore these new features or they merge into
Others

Urgh just get an error from Sony website when going through to download..!!

Edit: seems to just be an error on Firefox! Sorted now!

Last edited:
Going do mine later. So is there more AF mode options fore these new features or they merge into
Others

There;s a new option in your menu to switch between person and animal af. But if AF face detect is on your shutter button or BBF button will look for an eye automatically

There;s a new option in your menu to switch between person and animal af. But if AF face detect is on your shutter button or BBF button will look for an eye automatically

Where in the menu is that can't see it.

Have just done one of my A7III's as a test. One of the things I have noticed is that if I do eye a.f the old way either by a remapped button on the body or the lens regardless of where the focus point is it will jump to the eye. When using the new way and using the half shutter press the focus point needs to be on the subject for the eye a.f to engage. This is maybe how its supposed to be and I guess that makes sense if you where focusing on something other than a person in the frame. So will likely still need to keep a button assigned to eye a.,f as that is quicker than moving the focus point then engaging eye a.f.

Have just done one of my A7III's as a test. One of the things I have noticed is that if I do eye a.f the old way either by a remapped button on the body or the lens regardless of where the focus point is it will jump to the eye. When using the new way and using the half shutter press the focus point needs to be on the subject for the eye a.f to engage. This is maybe how its supposed to be and I guess that makes sense if you where focusing on something other than a person in the frame. So will likely still need to keep a button assigned to eye a.,f as that is quicker than moving the focus point then engaging eye a.f.

Yeah i'm going to do the same, keep eye-af by my thumb

Have just tried the animal eye a.f.

Works great on a dog, sort of works on a rabbit and doesn't seem to work at all on a tortoise.

So probably best to upgrade to a dog if you haven't already.

A tortoise

Question for people with cameras with dual card slots. How do you use them? And what speed of card is worth getting, i dont mind paying for 300mb/s cards if the camera makes good use of it. I already have a 95mb/s 128gb card.
The main use is so you have a second copy should the card conk out at an important event.
I like to send photos to one and videos to the other, as I import video with Play Memories and photos with Lightroom

"Animal Eye AF which detects and tracks animal eyes (the feature currently works with dogs and cats and more animals will be supported in future updates)."

"Animal Eye AF which detects and tracks animal eyes (the feature currently works with dogs and cats and more animals will be supported in future updates)."

:LOL: Like I said if you don't own a dog, now is the time to upgrade.

Top tip, use a USB C cable instead of micro USB. I find the updates flakey with the micro USB but works first time everytime with USB C cable.

If you have focus area set to 'Wide' it finds and locks onto the eye without moving focusing point.

Top tip, use a USB C cable instead of micro USB. I find the updates flakey with the micro USB but works first time everytime with USB C cable.

I just did 4 bodies using a normal micro usb, have done all the other updates with no issues either and have used cheap cables from phones and other devices to do them. Sounds more like a problem with your computer than a problem with the cable. All the cable does is transmit a digital signal makes no difference at all what cable you use.

If you have focus area set to 'Wide' it finds and locks onto the eye without moving focusing point.

So it does, good tip.

I don't like using that mode though normally, will give it a try.

Last edited:
I just did 4 bodies using a normal micro usb, have done all the other updates with no issues either and have used cheap cables from phones and other devices to do them. Sounds more like a problem with your computer than a problem with the cable. All the cable does is transmit a digital signal makes no difference at all what cable you use.

I'm using Mac so maybe that, but the Micro USB socket on my A7 III has always felt a bit loose tbh so maybe not keeping a stable enough connection.

I have two custom modes on my A7 one for aperture priority with wide area focus and face detect and the other the same but with manual instead of aperture and a shutter speed of 1/250. So, I can use aperture priority with just the one focus point and switch to a custom mode if I want to take a people shot, c1 with aperture priority for good light or c2 with manual and a decent shutter speed for people in lower light. If I had an A7III I think I'd set it up the same at least to start with.

I'm looking forward to using the new timelapse option, the settings look nice and easy thankfully and added to 'My Menu'

I'm using Mac so maybe that, but the Micro USB socket on my A7 III has always felt a bit loose tbh so maybe not keeping a stable enough connection.

Yeah lots of people seem to have bother updating on a mac with all of the firmware updates so far. It isn't a cable issue though its a Apple issue or a Sony issue.

The cable just sends a digital signal it will either work perfectly or not at all if the cable is faulty.

Last edited:
Yeah lots of people seem to have bother updating on a mac with all of the firmware updates so far. It isn't a cable issue though its a Apple issue or a Sony issue.

Last time I tried numerous micro usb cables, I just use the type C ones now so much easier for me.

It's unfortunate macs are so crap now, they used to be so good.

I have no idea with Windows, I've used Macs forever. I wouldn't say they're 'crap' at all :ROFLMAO:

I have no idea with Windows, I've used Macs forever. I wouldn't say they're 'crap' at all :ROFLMAO:

I used macs for the best part of 20 years, but Leopard was probably there last good o.s. Would never use them again.

It's unfortunate macs are so crap now, they used to be so good.

Are we talking macbook pros or imacs - or both? My 2015 macbook has been an absolute workhorse, being used for hours every day. Survived a coffee spill as well. Planning on getting an imac in the Autumn but also heard some murmurings that the latest macbook isn't great.

Are we talking macbook pros or imacs - or both? My 2015 macbook has been an absolute workhorse, being used for hours every day. Survived a coffee spill as well. Planning on getting an imac in the Autumn but also heard some murmurings that the latest macbook isn't great.
You got the last good mac that's why. The ones with the butterfly keyboard are a p*** take

The eye AF definitely seems even more accurate now. Nothing wrong before but often it would focus on the lashes, it now seems to push past abit! Or I could be imagining it lol

There's an A6400 review at Admiring Light...

https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-sony-a6400/

Thanks for that I am thinking of getting one of these for family hols etc.

I know there is no point I have 4 x A7III's but in my head I am thinking a cheaper body that I could abuse more might be worthwhile.

The lack of a joystick is the only thing putting me off at the moment.

Last edited:

All of them,back in the day they used to be fast and Adobe software especially ran a lot quicker on Mac's. Now they are slow and painful to use and no longer do they get away with the crap hardware running better because of the O.S. Windows is just as quick but most units for the same money will have much better hardware. I had to use an imac a few weeks ago, felt like throwing it out the window, it was painfully slow and that was on a brand new machine with only lightroom and photoshop installed.

Back