The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Whilst a lot of that is worth considering, @NewBeetle seems very accomplished with a camera.

Being accomplished using a camera has nothing to do with managing people on a wedding day.

Have only seen photos he has taken of his dog unless I am mixing him up with someone else. Taking a few photos of your pets isn’t the same as a wedding where you need to be a product photographer, a landscape photographer and a portrait photographer all rolled into one on the same day.

He doesn’t have any of the relevant equipment and much more importantly the relevant experience.

Hope all goes well for him, things can get very nasty when it doesn’t.

Last edited:
Being accomplished using a camera has nothing to do with managing people on a wedding day.

Have only seen photos he has taken of his dog unless I am mixing him up with someone else. Taking a few photos of your pets isn’t the same as a wedding where you need to be a product photographer, a landscape photographer and a portrait photographer all rolled into one on the same day.

He doesn’t have any of the relevant equipment or the relevant experience.

Understand all of this Tommy, but I think sometimes on forums there's context missing or not taken into account. The main detail is that it's a very small wedding of 20 and if people are honest about what they can and can't deliver, they should be able to work it out for themselves.

Just took a couple of dozen shots using my AD200's and no missfires at all. Which flashes? Checked batteries in transmitter? (if using one)
Haven't tried with my ad200 actually, but happening regularly on my v860ii, all 3 of them

He doesn’t have any of the relevant equipment and much more importantly the relevant experience.

I understand where you are coming from completely.

But you are looking at this situation from the perspective of a wedding photographer. Not everyone will do that, the couple may just be happy with a few nice pictures and not be expecting a full pro wedding style set of images.

I am trying to start out in wedding photography at the moment and someone contacted me and said 'we are getting married on X date, we weren't going to get a photographer but feel free to bring your camera along and take pictures if you like, no pressure either way'. For me there they are fully expressing that if they got any images, they'd be happy - they understand I am starting out and seem perfectly happy with that, I think some couples just are.

That being said, I have shot a tonne of landscapes, some product photography, a couple of events and some engagement shooting.

Big +1
Managing people is probably one of the most important skills for weddings. One could be a brilliant photographer but if you can't deal with people on the day you aren't coming back with good pictures.

Big +1
Managing people is probably one of the most important skills for weddings. One could be a brilliant photographer but if you can't deal with people on the day you aren't coming back with good pictures.

It’s hardly something you need a degree for though.

Managing people isn’t difficult if you’ve got experience doing that or are a fairly outgoing person.

I understand where you are coming from completely.

But you are looking at this situation from the perspective of a wedding photographer. Not everyone will do that, the couple may just be happy with a few nice pictures and not be expecting a full pro wedding style set of images.

I am trying to start out in wedding photography at the moment and someone contacted me and said 'we are getting married on X date, we weren't going to get a photographer but feel free to bring your camera along and take pictures if you like, no pressure either way'. For me there they are fully expressing that if they got any images, they'd be happy - they understand I am starting out and seem perfectly happy with that, I think some couples just are.

That being said, I have shot a tonne of landscapes, some product photography, a couple of events and some engagement shooting.

About 18 months ago I bumped into a pro sports photographer that I haven’t seen in donkeys years. He has been shooting professionally for 25 years plus. He is very well known in those circles has won multiple awards and once took a very famous photo here. He also occasionally does press and commercial photography, does a bit of work for a few of the local councils here as well.

He told me that he had shot his first ever wedding a few months before. He said he had never felt under so much pressure, so much so that he actually felt ill on the lead up to the day and on the day itself.

The wedding he shot was a small one at the local registry office, few photos in the local park after and then on to a local bar/restaurant for the reception. The wedding was for his brothers best mate, they didn’t have the budget for a photographer and would have done without if he hadn’t offered to do it for them as a freebie.

It went very badly, he had an argument with the brides mother on the morning of the wedding which in turn led to a few crossed words with the bride before the ceremony. He said the bride had been a bit “bridezilla”.

Any way he finished up the rest of the day even though he found it very difficult and a few weeks later handed over the photos. A little while after his brother told him that the couple where unhappy with the photos and unhappy with the whole process. The couple even said he had ruined their wedding and they were planning on taking him to court. Things escalated and they pulled him apart all over social media. He felt it was having a negative impact on his actual job and he was losing work because of it.

He did say that the photos where crap, he just felt under huge pressure and everything he had learned over the years went right out the window. He was properly worried they would take him to court, and have his name splashed over the local papers. I haven’t ran into him again since.

I would assume they couldnt take him to court and it was all bluster as he didn’t receive any payment, but who knows.

About 18 months ago I bumped into a pro sports photographer that I haven’t seen in donkeys years. He has been shooting professionally for 25 years plus. He is very well known in those circles has won multiple awards and once took a very famous photo here. He also occasionally does press and commercial photography, does a bit of work for a few of the local councils here as well.

He told me that he had shot his first ever wedding a few months before. He said he had never felt under so much pressure, so much so that he actually felt ill on the lead up to the day and on the day itself.

The wedding he shot was a small one at the local registry office, few photos in the local park after and then on to a local bar/restaurant for the reception. The wedding was for his brothers best mate, they didn’t have the budget for a photographer and would have done without if he hadn’t offered to do it for them as a freebie.

It went very badly, he had an argument with the brides mother on the morning of the wedding which in turn led to a few crossed words with the bride before the ceremony. He said the bride had been a bit “bridezilla”.

Any way he finished up the rest of the day even though he found it very difficult and a few weeks later handed over the photos. A little while after his brother told him that the couple where unhappy with the photos and unhappy with the whole process. The couple even said he had ruined their wedding and they were planning on taking him to court. Things escalated and they pulled him apart all over social media. He felt it was having a negative impact on his actual job and he was losing work because of it.

He did say that the photos where crap, he just felt under huge pressure and everything he had learned over the years went right out the window. He was properly worried they would take him to court, and have his name splashed over the local papers. I haven’t ran into him again since.

I would assume they couldnt take him to court and it was all bluster as he didn’t receive any payment, but who knows.

Christ. Stories like that do make you think to be fair!

I imagine stories of this kind are few and far between but it certainly shows the nasty side. I've been getting as much practice as I can. Decided I won't charge people until I feel I'm worthy of payment.

It’s hardly something you need a degree for though.

Managing people isn’t difficult if you’ve got experience doing that or are a fairly outgoing person.
A degree wouldn't help in any case. It may come naturally to you but people skills is difficult for a large number of people. A fairly out going person doesn't necessarily make them good at managing people just makes them more sociable ;)

Shooting weddings is hard work and you'll find that clients who aren't paying you, or are paying very little, often demand the most from you.

If you're completely honest with your couples about your experience levels then you minimise the chance of unrealistic expectations.

But knowing how to take a good picture is a very small part of photographing a wedding and an even smaller part of running a wedding photography business.

Christ. Stories like that do make you think to be fair!

I imagine stories of this kind are few and far between but it certainly shows the nasty side. I've been getting as much practice as I can. Decided I won't charge people until I feel I'm worthy of payment.

Just my own opinion but based on stuff I have been told by other wedding photographers and my own experience there is a much bigger chance of running into issues with free or cheap wedding gigs just purely because the couple will be people who don’t value photography. Couples who will allow someone to have a crack at it because they are very cheap or free are much more difficult to deal with as Andy mentioned above they are often much more demanding as well.

Last edited:
A degree wouldn't help in any case. It may come naturally to you but people skills is difficult for a large number of people. A fairly out going person doesn't necessarily make them good at managing people just makes them more sociable ;)

Absolutely this! (y)

Yeah true, I can see your point.

Shooting weddings is hard work and you'll find that clients who aren't paying you, or are paying very little, often demand the most from you.

If you're completely honest with your couples about your experience levels then you minimise the chance of unrealistic expectations.

But knowing how to take a good picture is a very small part of photographing a wedding and an even smaller part of running a wedding photography business.

True, I do agree. Running a photography business obviously requires a lot more than just the skill.

Just my own opinion but based on stuff I have been told by other wedding photographers and my own experience there is a much bigger chance of running into issues with free or cheap wedding gigs just purely because the couple will be people who don’t value photography. Couples who will allow someone to have a crack at it because they are very cheap or free are much more difficult to deal with as Andy mentioned above they are often much more demanding as well.

I see what you're saying. It's difficult to get going though. I'd much rather second shoot for someone else first but people willing to let you do that are extremely few and far between and I have made only genuine approaches to people when I really like their work. A couple have been extremely helpful, a couple have tried to charge me a fortune for workshops.

I wouldn't want to charge without being good enough but at the same time, seemingly for me the only way to get that experience is by doing it free or cheap. Cheap gives people more expectation as they are paying so I decided free is best initially.

Unless anyone is based in NW England and wants to give me a chance :D:D

Yeah true, I can see your point.

True, I do agree. Running a photography business obviously requires a lot more than just the skill.

I see what you're saying. It's difficult to get going though. I'd much rather second shoot for someone else first but people willing to let you do that are extremely few and far between and I have made only genuine approaches to people when I really like their work. A couple have been extremely helpful, a couple have tried to charge me a fortune for workshops.

I wouldn't want to charge without being good enough but at the same time, seemingly for me the only way to get that experience is by doing it free or cheap. Cheap gives people more expectation as they are paying so I decided free is best initially.

Unless anyone is based in NW England and wants to give me a chance :D:D

Someone gave me some great advice when I was first starting out.

The only way you will ever know if you are "good" enough, or if you can make a living from it. Is to do it!

Forget about the photography bit though, the big stuff is marketing and the business end of things. Until you have to compete with other photographers in your area on a level playing field i.e charging what they do etc. and still able to get booking, you will never know if you can make a success from it.

Most people can easily become "good enough" with enough practice.

I am a mediocre photographer, but I can still deliver photos that people like and are willing to pay for.

Last edited:
Someone gave me some great advice when I was first starting out.

The only you will ever know if you are "good" enough, or if you can make a living from it. Is to do it!

Forget about the photography bit though, the big stuff is marketing and the business end of things.

Most people can easily become "good enough" with enough practice.

I am a mediocre photographer, but I can still deliver photos that people like and are willing to pay for.

Good and sound advice :)

Food for thought, cheers

Just my t'uppence, I have only shot a handful of weddings and I have to agree with Tommy here, it is stressful AF! The ones I shot were full on white weddings, Cathedral ceremony, fancy 5 star hotel reception the works, started shooting 8am and wasn't done until 2am on 2 of them ... [even though I had said I was only covering church to last dance] I ended up doing both Bride and groom prep shoots + church obviously + everything and anything throughout the whole night/early morn. Honestly, I was exhausted for a week after! I had done a tonne of family portrait sessions prior to this, I also shot music gigs and events for a few bob - One wedding feels like shooting 3 gigs, 2 portrait sessions and then some all in one day. A smaller wedding might be a lot less hectic but be prepared! I used to think it would be a piece of p*** before actually doing them, now I know why pro wedding togs have assistants and more gear than they will ever actually need! You want back up on top of back up for everything too.

Out of interest, how did you get started? Feel free to PM if you don’t want to reply on here

I shot weddings for free / dirt cheap to build up a portfolio.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from going that route, just not gonna pretend it's easy. or without it's risks.

Out of interest, how did you get started? Feel free to PM if you don’t want to reply on here

Pretty much as Andy said, picked up a few wedding on the cheap (£300 wish) after doing a few friends of friends weddings (I delivered photos better than my photographer for my wedding did and he's a very well established pro around here doing 60+ weddings..). Made sure that I had a good contract in place and good gear redundancy, but I came from a profession of directly managing people and I knew I was capable with a camera. I learnt you have to be ready for anything, fireworks at 9PM you haven't been told about, speeches that won't happen when the timeline says they will etc. After doing a few and somehow picking up some decent venues I got into the groove. Shooting weddings is the easy part, the admin, financials side of it is a big challenge. Some of my first weddings were awful looking back, but I've only improved because I shot more weddings. Still learning now. I would say don't underestimate the use of flash, you WILL need it and you need to know HOW to use it effectively. And it goes without saying, knowing your camera like the back of your hand. I've only seconded for 2/3 weddings.

I shot weddings for free / dirt cheap to build up a portfolio.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from going that route, just not gonna pretend it's easy. or without it's risks.

That looks like my only real option at the moment.

Pretty much as Andy said, picked up a few wedding on the cheap (£300 wish) after doing a few friends of friends weddings (I delivered photos better than my photographer for my wedding did and he's a very well established pro around here doing 60+ weddings..). Made sure that I had a good contract in place and good gear redundancy, but I came from a profession of directly managing people and I knew I was capable with a camera. I learnt you have to be ready for anything, fireworks at 9PM you haven't been told about, speeches that won't happen when the timeline says they will etc. After doing a few and somehow picking up some decent venues I got into the groove. Shooting weddings is the easy part, the admin, financials side of it is a big challenge. Some of my first weddings were awful looking back, but I've only improved because I shot more weddings. Still learning now. I would say don't underestimate the use of flash, you WILL need it and you need to know HOW to use it effectively. And it goes without saying, knowing your camera like the back of your hand. I've only seconded for 2/3 weddings.

Interesting read, cheers. I do think my profession and staff management puts me in a decent starting position as far as managing people goes. I like the thought of the pressure and spontaneity to be honest, that's one of the appeals for me. I teach business as part of my job and have a degree in it so to be honest, it is about time I start practicing what I preach on a daily basis. Flash wise, I figured this - I have been practicing, watching videos and reading books on flash like some sort of flash lunatic in preparation, it's getting there and I do realise the importance of it :)

I just want to get going! Saying that, I am filming a wedding in a few weeks - took me a while to agree to it though.

That looks like my only real option at the moment.

Interesting read, cheers. I do think my profession and staff management puts me in a decent starting position as far as managing people goes. I like the thought of the pressure and spontaneity to be honest, that's one of the appeals for me. I teach business as part of my job and have a degree in it so to be honest, it is about time I start practicing what I preach on a daily basis. Flash wise, I figured this - I have been practicing, watching videos and reading books on flash like some sort of flash lunatic in preparation, it's getting there and I do realise the importance of it :)

I just want to get going! Saying that, I am filming a wedding in a few weeks - took me a while to agree to it though.

There's spontaneity and the down right ridiculous. Example, first dance at 19.30 I set up my flash at 18.50 and popped for a pee, as I came back they got introduced to the dance floor. Had I not set up early then the shots wouldn't have been as good. If I went for a pee 3 minutes later then I probably would of missed most of the first dance. The couple won't ensure you're around for these moments you have to sense it. Unless you're working with a toastmaster in which case it should be all good.

Just to add, and it sounds like you're suffering with it to. Is to just get out and do it. I took too long mulling it over, I could be 2/3 years down the line by now. There will never be a perfect time to start your own venture, so start now.

Ready... Steady… GO!

A7 and 35mm f2.8 at f2.8.

KXGpCdd.jpg

Just got my a7iii yesterday :). Impressed so far but not had much play time.

I've got a sigma 35mm art for it but I'm really looking for a zoom rather than all primes. The only third party option seems to be the Tamron 28-75mm - or am I missing something? Would that be the recommendation for that kind of price or is there something better?

Also - what's the script with the Samyang 85mm 1.4? It looks to be reviewing well for a great price and is out soon over here with some good special offers right now.

There's spontaneity and the down right ridiculous. Example, first dance at 19.30 I set up my flash at 18.50 and popped for a pee, as I came back they got introduced to the dance floor. Had I not set up early then the shots wouldn't have been as good. If I went for a pee 3 minutes later then I probably would of missed most of the first dance. The couple won't ensure you're around for these moments you have to sense it. Unless you're working with a toastmaster in which case it should be all good.

Just to add, and it sounds like you're suffering with it to. Is to just get out and do it. I took too long mulling it over, I could be 2/3 years down the line by now. There will never be a perfect time to start your own venture, so start now.

There's a local venue that's also a golf course, the toastmaster is just the president of the golf club. He's ridiculously tall, almost has to duck to walk through doorways.

And he has no sense of space or any boundaries, he once followed a bride down the aisle while shooting there. Changes the timeline to suit what he wants to do rather than the couple, absolute nightmare to work there.

Just got my a7iii yesterday :). Impressed so far but not had much play time.

I've got a sigma 35mm art for it but I'm really looking for a zoom rather than all primes. The only third party option seems to be the Tamron 28-75mm - or am I missing something? Would that be the recommendation for that kind of price or is there something better?

Also - what's the script with the Samyang 85mm 1.4? It looks to be reviewing well for a great price and is out soon over here with some good special offers right now.

I had the tamron 28-75mm. It's a very nice lens. I recently swapped it for Sony 24-105mm for extra reach at both ends for travel. Tamron is only 3rd party zoom lens on Sony so far. The 2nd one also from tamron (17-28mm) isn't out yet.

The Samyang 85mm f1.4 is suppose to be rather good as per reviews. I don't think anyone here has had one yet. The Samyang lenses weakest point is the AF in AF-C for tracking fast subjects. If you do end up getting one I am sure we'd all love to hear about it :)

Last edited:
I had the tamron 28-75mm. It's a very nice lens. I recently swapped it for Sony 24-105mm for extra reach at both ends for travel. Tamron is only 3rd party zoom lens on Sony so far. The 2nd one also from tamron (17-28mm) isn't out yet.

The Samyang 85mm f1.4 is suppose to be rather good as per reviews. I don't think anyone here has had one yet. The Samyang lenses weakest point is the AF in AF-C for tracking fast subjects. If you do end up getting one I am sure we'd all love to hear about it :)
How are you finding the sony lens in comparison? It is more expensive but I'd happily save for a bit if it was worth it. Can you notice a difference in image quality or focus?

I might just stick to a couple of primes at the minute. Until the zoom catalogue improves. With the 85mm I'm stuck between the samyang and the sigma. Though the price of the samyang really goes a long way, but I've seen used sigmas go for circa £650. I'm like a kid in a very pricey sweet shop.

How are you finding the sony lens in comparison? It is more expensive but I'd happily save for a bit if it was worth it. Can you notice a difference in image quality or focus?

I might just stick to a couple of primes at the minute. Until the zoom catalogue improves. With the 85mm I'm stuck between the samyang and the sigma. Though the price of the samyang really goes a long way, but I've seen used sigmas go for circa £650. I'm like a kid in a very pricey sweet shop.

Well Sony lens is every so slightly better in AF-C especially for eye-AF. But indoors tamron is still better because of more light. It not something I'd worry over.
The Sony is as sharp as tamron at f4. But sony does cost more. Tamron for the price is very good and performs very well. Its no GM lens but its also not as heavy or pricey. Its perfectly usable wide open across the range. You'll just have to rely on software more to correct vignetting etc but Sony 24-105mm has the same issues. You'd have to go with 24-70GM if you want optically better but that's huge and expensive.

Sigma ART 85 is huge and its out of question for me. you might be willing to put up with it. I wouldn't hold my breath with the zoom catalogue improving anytime soon. If you could just settle for the Sony kit lens (28-70). Its actually decent. if you can find Sony zeiss 24-70mm f4 for around £400 used that's also worth it. Just wouldn't pay more than that for it.

Last edited:
If you can afford multiple Sony gears and lenses that cost thousands, surely the entrance fee is nothing for you :p

haha, its all relative ;)
I can afford it but its still expensive. Affordability and cost effectiveness are kinda different in my brain lol.
For example I can afford an iPhone XLRS PLUS (or whatever the latest is lol), but it is expensive and not worth the price tag.

Back