The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

TBH it doesn't surprise me, the A7III is one of the best bang for buck new cameras on the market imo. The trouble with the Canikons is that they've both released something that is behind the current market, and if starting out on a new system then surely you'd buy the best (ergonomics etc aside). Maybe Nikon's firmware update in 2 weeks will bring the Z's closer to Sony but who knows. I can't see frame rate being improved from 5.5fps if you want to see a realtime view, even if they are adding AE changes to the faster frame rates.

It's a Canon and 'everyone' knows Canon are the best :rolleyes:;)

Well the frame rate hasn't bothered me much past 5fps. It's nice to have more for sure but I rarely feel the need for it and when I do shoot at higher frame rates post processing is a pain and time consuming to go past so many files. So I'm perfectly happy with 5fps.
The reason A9 interests me for example is for the blackout free shooting rather than the 20fps.

If they kept the slr mount they'd add bulk and limit the use of other lenses requiring a shorter registration distance, so there's that... plus I suppose we can't know if the slr mount had any limitations for future tech which the new mount fixes.
Is the slr mount bigger then there new mirrorless mount?

Well the frame rate hasn't bothered me much past 5fps. It's nice to have more for sure but I rarely feel the need for it and when I do shoot at higher frame rates post processing is a pain and time consuming to go past so many files. So I'm perfectly happy with 5fps.
The reason A9 interests me for example is for the blackout free shooting rather than the 20fps.
TBH I'm used to shooting at 9fps and 10fps, sometimes even 15fps. PP is a pain admittedly but it's worth it to get that exact 'pose' or expression etc. I'm sure I can 'cope' with 5.5fps, but it's just a step backwards. I don't know how intrusive not seeing a realtime view would be in the real world, but from my brief test I didn't like it. Obviously this is just my views (y). 8fps -10fps is the 'sweet spot' for me, unfortunately I don't think that you can get the real time view at the higher frame rates simply by a firmware update. I think the Nikon Z gen 2's will be much better.

TBH I'm used to shooting at 9fps and 10fps, sometimes even 15fps. PP is a pain admittedly but it's worth it to get that exact 'pose' or expression etc. I'm sure I can 'cope' with 5.5fps, but it's just a step backwards. I don't know how intrusive not seeing a realtime view would be in the real world, but from my brief test I didn't like it. Obviously this is just my views (y). 8fps -10fps is the 'sweet spot' for me, unfortunately I don't think that you can get the real time view at the higher frame rates simply by a firmware update. I think the Nikon Z gen 2's will be much better.

I don't think it's really a question about it being better. I wonder if they'll do something exciting. A7 wasn't as good as any other FF camera at the time. It was probably the worst but it still sold because it got some people like me excited.
They could make a camera as good as any other on paper but that'll hardly make people lose money swapping.
Canon lenses got me excited but their bodies are real downers lol.

I don't think it's really a question about it being better. I wonder if they'll do something exciting. A7 wasn't as good as any other FF camera at the time. It was probably the worst but it still sold because it got some people like me excited.
They could make a camera as good as any other on paper but that'll hardly make people lose money swapping.
Canon lenses got me excited but their bodies are real downers lol.
I can't think of anything that wold get me "excited" tbh, unless of course they start making FF lenses the same size as M4/3 and were 1/4 price they are now ;) :LOL:

TBH all I'd want from the gen 2's is 2 card slots, 8fps minimum with full time AF/AE and realtime view and a 30 shot buffer.

Oh wait a minute, a global electronic shutter, now that would be exciting (y)

I can't think of anything that wold get me "excited" tbh, unless of course they start making FF lenses the same size as M4/3 and were 1/4 price they are now ;) :LOL:

TBH all I'd want from the gen 2's is 2 card slots, 8fps minimum with full time AF/AE and realtime view and a 30 shot buffer.

Oh wait a minute, a global electronic shutter, now that would be exciting (y)

Exactly see you found something that's exciting. Doesn't necessarily have to be body related. Even lenses like the 300mm PF is pretty exciting for example.
Obliviously not everyone is excited by same things but they don't need to appeal to everyone just enough people ;)
3rd party lens support is rather nice to have too and attracts many users.

I used to be on the side of "one card slot is fine" especially since I am not a professional. But tbh after the recent messing about with SD cards think I'd like to have 2 cards for the peace of mind especially for my holidays which are mostly once in a lifetime kinda opportunities.

Last edited:
I got scolded today for not taking a camera when we went for a walk. That'll teach me not to leave the gear at home intending to spend quality time with the Mrs :D

They only drag us along because we take pictures of them. Sooner you realise that the better it is :p

Exactly see you found something that's exciting. Doesn't necessarily have to be body related. Even lenses like the 300mm PF is pretty exciting for example.
Obliviously not everyone is excited by same things but they don't need to appeal to everyone just enough people ;)
3rd party lens support is rather nice to have too and attracts many users.

I used to be on the side of "one card slot is fine" especially since I am not a professional. But tbh after the recent messing about with SD cards think I'd like to have 2 cards for the peace of mind especially for my holidays which are mostly once in a lifetime kinda opportunities.
I’ve never liked having just one slot, although most of my holidays have been with one card slot cameras (EM10, EM5-II and EM1). I’ve never had a card failure, but it’s never stopped me from being paranoid :oops: :$

I’ve never liked having just one slot, although most of my holidays have been with one card slot cameras (EM10, EM5-II and EM1). I’ve never had a card failure, but it’s never stopped me from being paranoid :oops: :$
Apart from last two holidays all my previous ones have been with single card slot and it's been fine. But you only need one scare or incident to make you fully paranoid. I still don't mind it for anything I do locally but for once in lifetime things I rather not risk it. What's the point I'd spending ££££ on gear coming back with no pictures. I might as well have not bought it or taken it along.

I was actually thinking of getting x-t30 but I think I'll skip it now for X-T3.

Last edited:
Apart from last two holidays all my previous ones have been with single card slot and it's been fine. But you only need one scare or incident to make you fully paranoid. I still don't mind it for anything I do locally but for once in lifetime things I rather not risk it. What's the point I'd spending ££££ on gear coming back with no pictures. I might as well have not bought it or taken it along.

I was actually thinking of getting x-t30 but I think I'll skip it now for X-T3.
That’s my thinking too, which is why I’m glad I had my EM1-II for Cuba.

Speaking of holidays a few from my recent holiday :D

47752090561_f19922823a_b.jpg

46962805404_ff7e79d869_b.jpg

32808701287_bfd2e1b115_b.jpg

#4 - inside the windmill is a mill :D
47752399151_b6effcb12c_b.jpg

32808703097_acf6c7e180_b.jpg

If I wanted a new padlock I'd maybe go to the Pound Shop or more likely B&Q. Until I read this...

http://walterleica.com/walter-leica-noctilock/

Now obviously I'd pay waaaaaay more than I would at B&Q let alone the Pound Shop but it'd be worth it.

:D

I think it looks like a naff thing bought off evil bay for £1.99 but I expect it isn't.

Last edited:
Since Sigma FE lenses have a hollow tube at the back I wonder if they'd work with Sony teleconverters?

Well after selling all my Fuji gear i've now just ordered a A7III with the 28-70 Kit lens and an 85.1.8 to start off with, even if the kit lens isn't that good I can sell it later as the price with and without wasn't that much difference. As I build my lenses up and will probably add the 55.1.8 and Samyang 35 2.8 at a later point. Cant wait to take delivery of it now.
Welcome aboard TBird. I got the A73 last May with the Sony 85mm f1.8 and Samyang 35mm f2.8 initially. Nice, lightweight set up. In fact, that's the kit I have with me on holiday in Lanzarote at the moment, comfortably housed in a small Tenba DNA8 bag. I've since added zeiss 16-35 f4 and Sony 70-200 f4 zooms to complete my total kit.... apart from a cheapo manual Samyamg 14mm for the very occasional astro snap.

Hope you are completely delighted and impressed by your new Sony kit and look forward to seeing some pictures shortly.

Regards,

I've agreed to do a very small wedding (approx 20 people). I'm doing informal/candid at and outside the church (plus the usual posed groups) and more informal shooting at the reception (pub). It's in August so a while away yet, half decent chance of good weather but you never know. I'll be using my A7 III and currently only have the 85mm & 70-200. I have wider lenses 14mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55mm in manual focus forms but although I do a lot of manual focussing the pressure will be on which worries me a little o_O.

Do you think I 'need' an AF zoom lens in the mid-range 24-70 etc? Or maybe a 35mm?

Last edited:
I've agreed to do a very small wedding (approx 20 people). I'm doing informal/candid at and outside the church (plus the usual posed groups) and more informal shooting at the reception (pub). It's in August so a while away yet, half decent chance of good weather but you never know. I'll be using my A7 III and currently only have the 85mm & 70-200. I have wider lenses 14mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55mm in manual focus forms but although I do a lot of manual focussing the pressure will be on which worries me a little o_O.

Do you think I 'need' an AF zoom lens in the mid-range 24-70 etc? Or maybe a 35mm?

If you plan on using a WA on the move for candids I would use at least one with decent AF. As easy as MF is these days, a split second off and you might miss that one shot and kick yourself.

might be my monitor but the greens and generally looks a little over saturated?
Yup. There seems to be a little something off.

I figured he was going for a film-sim type look maybe, the inside mill shot is fine, the outside ones the green does 'pop' more than other colours and possibly pumped a bit in post? OR that green really is that luminous on the windmills

You are going to need something wider absolutely and no manual focus will be a complete nightmare.

Depends on your style really but this is what I use.

Sigma 35mm f/1.4, use this for about 60-70% of every wedding.

Sony 85mm f/1.4 G.M, use this for about 30% of every wedding.

Sony 16-35 f/4, I use this mainly for the dancing but occasionally will help get you out of a hole for hanging dresses etc.

Sony 90mm f/2.8 Macro, I use this for the rings, and other details. ( you can use other lenses for this of course )

I also have a 70-200 but it's pretty useless for weddings and I only use it for outdoor ceremonies.

My missus uses the Sony 24mm G.M and the Sony 55mm f/1.8 in the same way I use my 35 & 85.

Have you got another body? I always use 2 bodies at the same time, sometimes 3. It will be a hard day trying to shoot a wedding with one body and just primes. Plus what happens if the body dies mid wedding?

Do you have public liability insurance, very odd but it can happen that the venue won't let you through the door without it. I have only ever been asked for proof twice but might be something to consider. Also what happens if someone trips over a bag, lightstand etc.

What happens if you make a mess of it?

Forget the candid shots for a second, do you have any experience of shooting couples? groups of people?

Is the couple going to cover the cost of all of the additional equipment you are going to need to be able to shoot this?

What sort of lighting do you have?

What are the couples expectations?

Are you prepared for the amount of time and effort that will need to be put into editing and providing the images after the wedding? What if they want an album? Who are you going to use for that? Some suppliers will insist on evidence that you are a working wedding photographer before they will allow you to purchase form them, the better companies certainly do.

If you are already worrying about being under pressure, this isn't for you!

If this is one off favour for a friend or something and with the amount of equipment etc. that you are going to have to buy. It might be better to gift them a proper wedding photographer instead. Then go along on the day yourself, take your camera and one lens say a cheap 50mm, enjoy the day and shoot some candid stuff out of the road.

Last edited:
might be my monitor but the greens and generally looks a little over saturated?
Yup. There seems to be a little something off.

the greens on the windmill perhaps but grass looked fine to me.
As for over saturation perhaps it is, but I did like it personally. But if its over powering I guess I should tone it down a notch. Thanks for the feedback :)

As for over saturation perhaps it is, but I did like it personally. But if its over powering I guess I should tone it down a notch. Thanks for the feedback :)

I like it, looks film-like, some of the old film types like Velvia would 'pop' certain colours, giving an almost 3D effect, I figured that's what you were going for

I figured he was going for a film-sim type look maybe, the inside mill shot is fine, the outside ones the green does 'pop' more than other colours and possibly pumped a bit in post? OR that green really is that luminous on the windmills
I like it, looks film-like, some of the old film types like Velvia would 'pop' certain colours, giving an almost 3D effect, I figured that's what you were going for

The windmill green is different to the grass. Only thing I have pumped is the sky which is mostly blue and not the greens. I have given clarity a slight boost too which adds to it a little. But you are correct in the look I was going for :)

Last edited:
yes grass looked fine

The windmill green is different to the grass. Only thing I have pumped is the sky which is mostly blue and not the greens. I have given clarity a slight boost too which adds to it a little. But you are correct in the look I was going for :)
would pumping the sky blues also give a kick to the greens,close shade?

You are going to need something wider absolutely and no manual focus will be a complete nightmare.

Sony 16-35 f/4, I use this mainly for the dancing but occasionally will help get you out of a hole for hanging dresses etc.

Sony 90mm f/2.8 Macro, I use this for the rings, and other details. ( you can use other lenses for this of course )

I also have a 70-200 but it's pretty useless for weddings and I only use it for outdoor ceremonies.

My missus uses the Sony 24mm G.M and the Sony 55mm f/1.8 in the same way I use my 35 & 85.

Have you got another body? I always use 2 bodies at the same time, sometimes 3. It will be a hard day trying to shoot a wedding with one body and just primes. Plus what happens if the body dies mid wedding?

Do you have public liability insurance, very odd but it can happen that the venue won't let you through the door without it. I have only ever been asked for proof twice but might be something to consider. Also what happens if someone trips over a bag, lightstand etc.

Forget the candid shots for a second, do you have any experience of shooting couples? groups of people?

Is the couple going to cover the cost of all of the additional equipment you are going to need to be able to shoot this?

Are you prepared for the amount of time and effort that will need to be put into editing and providing the images after the wedding? What if they want an album? Who are you going to use for that? Some suppliers will insist on evidence that you are a working wedding photographer before they will allow you to purchase form them, the better companies certainly do.

If this is one off favour for a friend or something and with the amount of equipment etc. that you are going to have to buy. It might be better to gift them a proper wedding photographer instead. Then go along on the day yourself, take your camera and one lens say a cheap 50mm, enjoy the day and shoot some candid stuff out of the road.

This is very much an amateur affair, they weren't even going to bother having someone do proper photos.

I'm in no way a wedding photographer (nor do I plan to be), just I'm the only person they know that takes a decent photo.

Last edited:
@NewBeetle You'd definitely need a wider AF lens, I mostly use 35/85 but on two separate bodies.

My advice would be to make sure you get some kind of agreement written up as they will have expectations if they're parting with their hard earned no matter what they say now.

This is very much an amateur affair, they weren't even going to bother having someone do proper photos.

I'm in no way a wedding photographer (nor do I plan to be), just I'm the only person they know that takes a decent photo.

Best of luck with that. :LOL:

Whilst a lot of that is worth considering, @NewBeetle seems very accomplished with a camera.

I've personally done a handful but am confident enough all round, only you can answer that and whether you can meet the expectation required.

There's plenty of people that use 35/85 for 99% of a wedding, me included. But you'll totally want something in the 24-35 bracket and auto focus. Need to also think a bit about flash too as some parts of the day will need it.

I have a wedding this weekend as it happens and the only missing part of my hardware following the change to Sony is a spare body. I can thoroughly recommend WEX for rental, mine turned up this morning with spare batteries (something else to think about). A medium zoom could mean you don't have to wield two bodies for the most part, but handy to have some harness, or the like, to be able to that too.

Good luck with whatever you do.

@NewBeetle

PS. I did a couple of low key ones many years ago where I was confident enough to deliver something reasonable but knew the expectation was manageable. Was always paranoid about back up kit though, should something fail and so have hired stuff before to cover it.

since the firmware update my Godox flashes are misfiring every third shot or so :/

Back