The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Does anyone else struggle with MF and the A7iii EVF? I've tried various lenses and the focusing has been hit and miss. With focus peeking it's a bit better but then it makes it difficult to see your subject in dark scenes.

I've used manual lenses since I first got my A7 with few problems. I have peaking but I really only use it as a rough guide and aid as I tend to pixel peep and hate to see any even slight misfocus. I just focus at the aperture I'm shooting at with the magnified view and I find that fine, the only problem being that it takes time but any moving subjects can shot with zone/hyperfocal technique. Manual focusing with the magnified view usually gives me a very high hit rate which stands up to 100% viewing on screen.

Does anyone else struggle with MF and the A7iii EVF? I've tried various lenses and the focusing has been hit and miss. With focus peeking it's a bit better but then it makes it difficult to see your subject in dark scenes.

Peaking on the A7 III is rubbish, not accurate at all. I could nail focus so much easier on my A6000. Zoom to focus is the only way I've managed consistent results using A7 III.

I don't have any problems with focus peaking, I found that you need to experiment a bit with the colour and the amount, mid red seems to work best for me.

Peaking on the A7 III is rubbish, not accurate at all. I could nail focus so much easier on my A6000. Zoom to focus is the only way I've managed consistent results using A7 III.
I tried peeking but couldn’t get used to it so use zoom to focus which works fine for me.

I tried peeking but couldn’t get used to it so use zoom to focus which works fine for me.

It's my only real complaint since upgrading, I loved peaking on the A6000

I haven't had any real problems with peaking but I don't rely on it alone as I tend to pixel peep. At wide apertures I've found it quite accurate on all of the cameras I've had as at wide apertures next to nothing peaks. At smaller apertures I find it next to useless as just about everything peaks and it's often not as good as zone or hyperfocal as it's easy to see that the focus isn't acceptable when looking closely.

Don’t forget your DOF would have been bigger for same aperture

Yes of course, but it's definitely not as accurate as the A6000 was. If you try wide open and then move the zoom to focus box over the strongest area of peaking on the A7 III it nearly always needs tweaking. (peaking & tweaking in one sentence :p)

Focus-magnification check is how I almost always MF too, I never rely on peaking even when it's implemented very well. If anything it distracts me, rather trust my eyes than fizzy red or blue lines

Talking about pictures... none on this page so far?? Surely someone has one...

I'm rained off here.

Last edited:
The war memorial again. A7 and 35mm f2.8 at f22, with the scene beyond to the memorial deliberately drifting out of the DoF.

cccW8kB.jpg

What 'appened there Ant? Or did I just have a Groundhog moment :D

What 'appened there Ant? Or did I just have a Groundhog moment :D

Getting red X's from flickr links with 4 pics in one post, yet they link fine single?????

I think there a Flickr and forum issue

Is the Skiddaw one showing above? (#48,468)

I think there issues with TP with images or TP app ain’t sure

Back