The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Isn't it funny how we can sometimes tell what gear was used right away, I sw this and thought "85 1.8" - and I was correct. A very nice rendering lens indeed, one I would definitely want if I ever switch to Sony - the dog is lovely too of course :D

**almost died of shock btw - Images on the Sony thread!!** :D
I was too busy looking at the dog to notice anything else ;)

Damn it, A7III has gone up £100 on Amazon just as i was ready to buy.

Where do folks here get their SDXC UHS-II cards? I heard about fakes on Amazon (Sandisk and Lexar) I wonder if they are still safe to buy through them. Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II 128gb seems to be the best bang of the buck at the moment at £167. ProGrade and Lexar are slightly pricey and Sony well... another notch.
If you buy direct from amazon and not a third party seller you should be OK

There's some pictures of the Samyang 45mm f1.8 on the rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-new-leaked-images-of-the-samyang-45mm-f-1-8-fe-autofocus-lens/

It looks quite compact. I'll be interested to see the reviews, hopefully the focusing isn't pants. I think that would be my biggest worry.

Looks like it’s identical width to the 24 and 35, just longer (56mm) so more compact than the 50mm FE

I found the 35 focus to be excellent, but people have said the 24 is not good. Maybe my expectations or what quick focus is classed as is lower!

Last edited:
Looks like it’s identical width to the 24 and 35, just longer (56mm) so more compact than the 50mm FE

I found the 35 focus to be excellent, but people have said the 24 is not good. Maybe my expectations or what quick focus is classed as is lower!

I just wish they'd made it a 35mm f1.8 :D

If it's even half way decent I'm pretty sure it'll sell well :D Maybe even very well.

I need to actually get another lens soon, and something cheap and AF lol

Running just a 70-200 has limitations!!

Samyang 45mm f1.8 spec and price...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-leaked-samyang-45mm-f-1-8-fe-specs-costs-399/

Minimum focus distance doesn't look anything special, more like a disappointment. Actually I've just checked and it's between that of the Sony 55mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.8. Can't have everything I suppose.

Not sure specs are right - it says its wider than it is longer, but from the pic that is not true!!

You can nearly buy 2 50mm 1.8 FE for that price :oops: :$

Last edited:
It'll make you more creative :D

It is not ideal for going light or wanting to go for a quick city trip lol! Look like a proper stalker lol

Well as im going cheap it will be a 35mm 2.8 from Samyang or 50mm Sony I think!

It is not ideal for going light or wanting to go for a quick city trip lol! Look like a proper stalker lol

Well as im going cheap it will be a 35mm 2.8 from Samyang or 50mm Sony I think!

I see the 50mm gets a lot of heat on here, but it's apparently a very sharp lens if you're not so needy for fast AF

Back up to £1800, I thought it was less than that now!
Didn't they recently have cash back, so maybe it was the price after cash back you'd seen?

I see the 50mm gets a lot of heat on here, but it's apparently a very sharp lens if you're not so needy for fast AF
The AF is still rather accurate with the FE50. Samyang don't have a reputation for being good at accuracy. Unless it's optically a fair bit better than FE50 I don't see it selling very well.

Didn't they recently have cash back, so maybe it was the price after cash back you'd seen?

They where £1699.99 the other day then the £150 cash back bringing them down to £1549.99.

Now back up to £1799 but the cash back is still running.

The AF is still rather accurate with the FE50. Samyang don't have a reputation for being good at accuracy. Unless it's optically a fair bit better than FE50 I don't see it selling very well.

Bit like the difference between CDAF and PDAF, contrast based is more precise, whereas Phase is quicker.

They where £1699.99 the other day then the £150 cash back bringing them down to £1549.99.

Now back up to £1799 but the cash back is still running.

That one on amazon wasn't actually being sold by amazon, so cashback wouldn't have applied

That one on amazon wasn't actually being sold by amazon, so cashback wouldn't have applied

Actually it was sold by Amazon until they sold out, so cash back did apply for a short time. Friend of mine bought 2.

W.E.X, Park, Harrison and Castle cameras also had the same £1699.99 price for the bank holiday probably a few others too, and have all went back up to £1799.

My local W.E.X actually had them for £1649, and then £150 cash back on their open day recently.

Last edited:
Actually it was sold by Amazon until they sold out, so cash back did apply for a short time. Friend of mine bought 2.

W.E.X, Park, Harrison and Castle cameras also had the same £1699.99 price for the bank holiday probably a few others too, and have all went back up to £1799.

My local W.E.X actually had them for £1649, and then £150 cash back on their open day recently.

Ah there was one single unit left in stock on Wednesday and it was fulfilled by amazon (prime eligible) but when looking closer not actually sold by amazon. It nearly caught me out as when viewing on phone app its not very clear.

I think In the next few months there will be a few more good deals to be had.

There’s an A7iii in Amazon Warehouse for £1666. £1516 after cashback so not too bad if you don’t want to wait for a price drop.

except samyangs are neither quicker not more precise compared to other native lenses.

never used any of their AF lenses, in fact I've only ever used one Samyang lens and that was the 12mm F2 for M43. That lens is excellent, sharp from F2 on, very well built and the MF is a cinch using it. I've heard good things about some of their other MF offerings too, but AF is whole nother ball game.

Talking about prices.

The Online Photographer has a bit on the Canon RP which apparently is the lowest priced FF camera ever which is a bit phasing as I was sure the A7 is cheaper.

I know the A7 is old tech now but AFAIK it's still in production and may actually be the real lowest priced FF camera ever but all these things need caveats so I'd add "new" to that, as in not used.

I do wish some caveat could be added to the Canon RP noise. Maybe something like the cheapest at introduction FF camera ever. That'd satisfy my ocd a bit.

Anyway.

I'm irritated by reading that over and over and over again.

I'll have a cup of tea and try and calm down :D

Linky. Don't get too stressed...

https://theonlinephotographer.typep...n-on-to-something-here-or-the-fun-factor.html

Last edited:
Back