The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How do you find the focus and overall speed and responsiveness?

How do you find the focus and overall speed and responsiveness?

It’s not actually that bad, even in very low light it’s still accurate and feels a bit like my old mk1 A7. It’s certainly not as bad as some reviews have made out and it’s ridiculously tiny.

Manual focus is obviously an afterthought with the focus by wire travel being very long. Also the fact it will only show peaking when magnified is a bit frustrating but not the end of the world. Face tracking is ok, locks on quite quickly and holds. It’s never going to be a fast action shooter but the lens/sensor combination is excellent and I’m finding myself picking it up and carrying it around the house with me (I’m supposedly working from home today!) just to play with it, which is a good sign for new toys!

I’m still planning on picking up an A7 mk1 to use with manual lenses and for longer options, although I’ve been watching videos about the RX10 as well as a general all rounder.

Last edited:
Yes but that Sony sensor gets so hot it causes the plastic on the grip to peel off.
MIne's not one of the first batches so I don't have to worry about the grip ;)

Have Nikon officially come out saying that?
No but someone on the Z thread had to have theirs replaced and when they inquired Nikon have all but said they've changed the materials and have stated that only the early batches were affected (y)

No but someone on the Z thread had to have theirs replaced and when they inquired Nikon have all but said they've changed the materials and have stated that only the early batches were affected (y)

Has that been confirmed by serial number?

Almost ordered one off amazon yesterday but its a 1-3 month wait. Must be popular.

47856882471_f64837de42_k.jpg

My last effort taken 2 days ago. Oly macro focus stacking with mono conversion, I must have been so bored that day......

That's not just a Nikon issue, it happened with the earlier Fuji models too - my XT1 was completely re-skinned, Fuji will either do them for you for free or send you out the re-skin pack. My Panasonic G80 had to go back because of both peeling grips and a piece of the LCD bracket fell off ... the replacement that I now have 8 months is still pristine, not a sign of peeling in sight.

Thanks for a thoughtful post clicktor.

I think sometimes things do get a bit... much... but looking at other forums this place is generally much more civilised and respectful and despite the odd blow up peeps usually do get along quite nicely here :D Which is nice :D

I don't know about cliquey, maybe not wanting to be a member of any clique that would have me is the right idea? :D IMVHO new peeps should always feel very welcome :D

Council house refs... I think it's actually a badge of honour now and actually as a user of cheap lenses I quite like the tag now :D YMMV and all that :D but I can see how some could find it offensive.

I agree about pictures. I tend to post equipment related pictures and pictures taken when I'm doing something different but I do like to see pictures :D So Yes, you have a point there :D

This thread is seen by some as one of the more elitist in this section at least. The average non Sony user normally won't just wander in to join the discussion, they'd rather ask outside of it about Sony gear. I think this comes from a feeling that unless you have the latest higher end Ghee master Sony stuff you won't be even listened to. I have interest in all systems, no fanboyism here so I'll drop in and out of all the main threads as I please but I'm as likely to just troll in return for my own pleasure :p And I think for the most part it's a decent thread, so long as you're not the sensitive type. The council house prime thing seemed odd at first, then we turned it round and made it ours :D bit like the Penney's thing! [Primark in the UK] - used to be you would get slagged off for wearing Penny's gear, nowadays it's more of a boast - "Guess where I got this ... Penney's!! £5! beat that!" - like you say, badge of honour :D

Last edited:
This is the thing, it would probably solve the issue and the option is there with the Dock.

However, I've not had to do this on any other lens for Sony and it just doesn't leave me with a very comfortable feeling about the lens. Already in the back of my mind I'm questioning build quality and durability. First impressions mean count for a lot to me and I just think this issue is going to have me worrying about it. Sony's eye af box doesn't keep up in real time so I'm going to be constantly chimping if I don't trust the lens.

At £550 after cash back I still think its a great option at a relatively reasonable price. If truth be told I've probably just been spoilt be some top end lenses. I think it's great that samyang are here with these lens options. E mount Lens options are really broadening and if Tamron or sigma release a 70-200 f2. 8 I'll be dancing in the street.

I saw someone post on FM that it took them 4 copy’s to find a good copy.
2 with af issues, 1 with one side of the image was always in sharp/ out of focus.

They said they loved it for the price and if you get a good copy it’s great.

Has that been confirmed by serial number?

Almost ordered one off amazon yesterday but its a 1-3 month wait. Must be popular.
No, Nikon haven't officially said anything it's only because the person who's camera was affected quizzed the Nikon representative about it.

However, in typical Nikon fashion there is another recall for which they have released serial numbers. This time it's for the VR (IBIS to you Sony users ;)), fortunately mine is not affected although this happened with the D750 where they said it was only the early models that were affected by the shutter issue only to later include about another years worth of models in the recall :rolleyes:

This thread is seen by some as one of the more elitist in this section at least. The average non Sony user normally won't just wander in to join the discussion, they'd rather ask outside of it about Sony gear. I think this comes from a feeling that unless you have the latest higher end Ghee master Sony stuff you won't be even listened to. I have interest in all systems, no fanboyism here so I'll drop in and out of all the main threads as I please but I'm as likely to just troll in return for my own pleasure :p And I think for the most part it's a decent thread, so long as you're not the sensitive type. The council house prime thing seemed odd at first, then we turned it round and made it ours :D bit like the Penney's thing! [Primark in the UK] - used to be you would get slagged off for wearing Penny's gear, nowadays it's more of a boast - "Guess where I got this ... Penney's!! £5! beat that!" - like you say, badge of honour :D

No different to the d750 thread bk in the day as it’s mainly the same people, that was always ending in bickering.

No different to the d750 thread bk in the day as it’s mainly the same people, that was always ending in bickering.

Makes sense a lot of D750 users would have jumped to Sony as they improved. The D800 thread was the opposite, that was a ghost town for the most part even when the earlier versions were still hot. I remember a point where I was the only one posting images for a while. bit of drama would have been welcomed almost :D

A lot of those things are just banter though.

TBH it wears really thin after a bit, and makes me much less likely to 'talk' to you, Twist or Tommy so I don't have to deal with flying faeces. It's impossible to tell when you're all just enjoying yourselves and when you're ready to send the boys round.

TBH it wears really thin after a bit, and makes me much less likely to 'talk' to you, Twist or Tommy so I don't have to deal with flying faeces. It's impossible to tell when you're all just enjoying yourselves and when you're ready to send the boys round.

:LOL: :bat:I promise to never send the boys round to you Toni.

Last edited:
Ive kept out of this round :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm not going to quote them all. But great images people. It IS nice to see images inbetween all the talk!

I was previously. The 21/3.5 is awesome but the aperture could be bigger for some shots & astro. I managed to pick up a Samyang 24/1.4 + adapter for £210 so that's dedicated astro now - I don't mind having £200 tied up in a lens that gets little use. That Voigtlander is too pricey for me to justify to myself in all honesty - as I expected it to be really.

Latest photo....... Who needs Animal Eye AF when you can have Animal Eye MF... ;)

A7 & CV40/1.2E

by Lee, on Flickr

I'm not going to quote them all. But great images people. It IS nice to see images inbetween all the talk!

I was previously. The 21/3.5 is awesome but the aperture could be bigger for some shots & astro. I managed to pick up a Samyang 24/1.4 + adapter for £210 so that's dedicated astro now - I don't mind having £200 tied up in a lens that gets little use. That Voigtlander is too pricey for me to justify to myself in all honesty - as I expected it to be really.

Latest photo....... Who needs Animal Eye AF when you can have Animal Eye MF... ;)

A7 & CV40/1.2E

by Lee, on Flickr

Such a lovely jacky i am a fan of Jack Russel ours getting on a bit now 14 years old

Such a lovely jacky i am a fan of Jack Russel ours getting on a bit now 14 years old

Thanks. We (well, my better half really since she's had them since puppies well before we even met each other) has two. An uncle (above) & a younger niece. You can't really take a photo of her because every time you get down low she just won't leave you alone. You'd need a 5mm wide lens on medium format to fit her in :p

I’m going to post this blog style photo story to my website soon. It’s about spending a month trying to photograph Otters local to me. The month also coincided with my first month as a Sony user. Interesting learning curve trying to get used to the A7Riii and photographing Otters armed with a 70-200 f4! Not your usual wildlife equipment.

If you can stand my waffle (there are of course photos to look at too) the link is below:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/fZjAC2OaD8HOn/

I should mention there is no mention of Sony gear. It’s just about photographing Otters.

Edit: I should also mention that Adobe Post seems to completely kill image quality to the point they look quite soft.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back