The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The main disadvantage with the 85mm f/1.8 is the awful purple fringing. The G.M handles this much better.

Yeah it can be removed in post most of the time but no one has mentioned how bad this lens is for it.

Add that to the busy (awful in my eyes) bokeh and it's a no from me.

Yeah it's quicker than the G.M for a.f and it is sharp but the G.M is a better lens. Like with most things you get what you pay for the G.M is a lot more expensive but I wouldn't be without mine.

The Batis doesn't get much of a mention these days but it's supposed to handle C.A quite well and is also relatively light weight.
You should reread some of your posts and think about how you sound to other people. It's actually cringe worthy how aggressively you defend your purchase decisions and argue for/against products.

You should reread some of your posts and think about how you sound to other people. It's actually cringe worthy how aggressively you defend your purchase decisions and argue for/against products.

I am also not defending anything. I have had both lenses and bought them both knowing the positives and negatives of each lens.

What’s more cringeworthy is someone taking offence because someone has better gear than them. I honestly don’t care at all that it makes you feel bad for some insane reason.

I am also not defending anything. I have had both lenses and bought them both knowing the positives and negatives of each lens.

What’s more cringeworthy is someone taking offence because someone has better gear than them. I honestly don’t care at all that it makes you feel bad for some insane reason.
Constant bashing of Samyang and anything that you don't own or don't think is good enough does not make good reading for the rest of us. It's laughable that you think me jealous of your gear. I almost feel sorry for you. Besides you don't know what gear I own. You and your "bro" like to get cocky in this thread and throw about wild statements like the above and it's noted but not many can be bothered to challenge you on it through fear of wasted effort and time.

The FE 85mm is regarded by most to be outstanding. The bokeh being "awful" is just comedy.

I saw a female stag beetle in my garden this evening :eek:

These things scare me even though I know they are fairly harmless

48081396836_29c8b1bd47_b.jpg

48081428433_65e910dd66_b.jpg

48081392861_3e8d4e65ce_b.jpg

Last edited:

48081396836_29c8b1bd47_b.jpg

48081428433_65e910dd66_b.jpg

48081392861_3e8d4e65ce_b.jpg

Nice, I have an itching for a new macro lens - I take it this was using the 90mm? thinking on a 60mm for my Fuji

I was using the 100-400mm. Would never go that close to it :D

Wee little beetle would never harm ya! :) It's wasps for me, hate the feckers, but most other bugs when I get up close and personal I find more amusing than scary. Some of these tele lenses are great for the more squeamish though, good quality for macro that - hefty crop?

Wee little beetle would never harm ya! :) It's wasps for me, hate the feckers, but most other bugs when I get up close and personal I find more amusing than scary. Some of these tele lenses are great for the more squeamish though, good quality for macro that - hefty crop?

funnily enough I don't mind wasps so much or bees for that matter. Its not logical by any means. I have an even worst phobia for slugs and snails, just can't deal with those!

1.5x crop basically shot in equivalent of APS-C crop mode on FF. That still leaves me with 18mp which is plenty.

Constant bashing of Samyang and anything that you don't own or don't think is good enough does not make good reading for the rest of us. It's laughable that you think me jealous of your gear. I almost feel sorry for you. Besides you don't know what gear I own. You and your "bro" like to get cocky in this thread and throw about wild statements like the above and it's noted but not many can be bothered to challenge you on it through fear of wasted effort and time.

The FE 85mm is regarded by most to be outstanding. The bokeh being "awful" is just comedy.

Have you actually read any of the previous posts even in just this thread about the swirly bokeh from the lens?

There are several, very few of them where from me. It’s a good lens if you want something sharp, light and cheap but it is far from perfect, no lens is. The G.M has much slower a.f. for example. Every single review I have read on the lens commented on the unpleasant busy bokeh. I have owned the lens and the bokeh is very rough.

The bokeh is awful, it is really ugly and harsh compared to other Sony 85mm options and the options available from other manufacturers. It is not my fault if you own the lens and are happy with it and are disappointed to the point of having to so vigorously defend your purchase decision.

I am not stating my opinion as fact it is just my opinion having owned it. I actually liked the lens in terms of how sharp it is and how light it is and said so here at the time. That doesn’t mean I can’t see it’s negative points.

Samyang gets bashed because there a.f just simply isn’t up to par with the oem lenses which is why they are cheap.

If you are happy with less good glass that’s your prerogative, I don’t care. I don’t see why I should have to pretend that Samyang is good and that the Sony 85 f/1.8 is perfect just in case you get upset.

Not even sure why I bothered to reply to this nonsense. I should of just asked if you are okay hun.

Last edited:

I own and use the 85 1.8. I base my judgements on my own experience and usage of equipment. You're the one sounding aggressive and nasty here "bro" lol

I saw one of the local cats jumping at something in the garden, thought it was a giant moth but turns out it's stag beetles. Never had to deal with them before now the garden seems bloody infested, fortunately beetles don't bother me but if one manages to land on me I imagine that notion won't last long.

These things scare me even though I know they are fairly harmless...

I'm sure you'll know what I mean when I say that it felt wrong to like this post of yours...

:D

Just one last thing from me on the 85mm f1.8 bokeh issue as it's pointless going on and on because it's subjective...

Yes it can be a bit busy and it reminds me of the film era 85's I have rather than the Sigma f1.4 I had but the contentious bokeh clearly is not an issue in every shot as it's going to be scene dependant. I haven't used mine a lot as I'm mostly a 35 or 50mm guy but I do have to say that I've taken some of my favourite pictures ever with that lens and it does what I bought it for, people shots, mostly very well for me.

Last edited:
Hi
I bought an A7iii recently in China, where I work part of the time. Problem is it doesn’t offer English as one of the language options (only Chinese, Cantonese, Malay, Thai and Japanese). I can’t read Chinese and am pretty new to photography, so not sufficiently experienced to navigate around the camera without understanding the menus. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Hi
I bought an A7iii recently in China, where I work part of the time. Problem is it doesn’t offer English as one of the language options (only Chinese, Cantonese, Malay, Thai and Japanese). I can’t read Chinese and am pretty new to photography, so not sufficiently experienced to navigate around the camera without understanding the menus. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I seen someone on Facebook a while back with the same issue. People suggested trying some sort of hacked firmware but I can’t remember what it was called, sorry that’s probably not much help. It might have been called something similar to open memories. If it damages the camera though Sony won’t honour the warranty.

To be honest it surprised me that they had different language versions for different areas. Usually those differences with other brands tend to be things like having or not having WiFi etc. with all the language options available.

Last edited:
Hi
A quick Google going this on dpreview, looks like the same problem as you.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61190471

Your options I guess are:
- return it?
- learn Chinese (if you work there part time and it's long-ish term then this could be useful anyway)
- use Google translate on your phone till things mostly become muscle memory
- try to sell it to someone here or on eBay, I am sure there'll be people around who can read Chinese.
- if you have international limited warranty contact Sony to see if they'll fix it for you
- even if you don't have warranty if have the original receipt try to contact Sony and see if they can help. It's a firmware issue and I am pretty sure Sony can fix it if they want to whether they will or not is another matter. They might for a fee?

I seen someone on Facebook a while back with the same issue. People suggested trying some sort of hacked firmware but I can’t remember what it was called, sorry that’s probably not much help.

To be honest it surprised me that they had different language versions for different areas. Usually those differences with other brands tend to be things like having or not having WiFi etc.

Think it was a cheap way of stopping grey imports but we all know how well that worked out if that was the intention :p

Previous generation models from China did allow you to change to English but they stopped that with 3rd generation bodies. Apparently many sales folks don't seem to either know this or care when selling to English customers.

Last edited:
Hi

Don't worry it's not that much easier to understand in English

A quick Google going this on dpreview, looks like the same problem as you.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61190471

Your options I guess are:
- return it?
- learn Chinese (if you work there part time and it's long-ish term then this could be useful anyway)
- use Google translate on your phone till things mostly become muscle memory
- try to sell it to someone here or on eBay, I am sure there'll be people around who can read Chinese.
- if you have international limited warranty contact Sony to see if they'll fix it for you
- even if you don't have warranty if have the original receipt try to contact Sony and see if they can help. It's a firmware issue and I am pretty sure Sony can fix it if they want to whether they will or not is another matter. They might for a fee?

That seems the most sensible thing to do.

My first pictures for a couple of weeks, I got as far as the garden :D It's sunny here and I'd love a few hours out but there's no chance.

A7 and film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 at f11.

d5Y1XUN.jpg

haCfIvZ.jpg

100%. Posting has unfortunately made it look softer, it's nice and sharp on my screen.

nO2BysJ.jpg

The lawn needs cutting.

Last edited:
My first pictures for a couple of weeks, I got as far as the garden :D It's sunny here and I'd love a few hours out but there's no chance.

A7 and film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 at f11.

d5Y1XUN.jpg

haCfIvZ.jpg

100%. Posting has unfortunately made it look softer, it's nice and sharp on my screen.

nO2BysJ.jpg

The lawn needs cutting.

I've been mowing mine between showers here. Got a cheapo mower from Argos the other week to replace the 30-odd year old petrol mower that finally kicked the bucket this summer. Apart from the irritating cable it's doing a much better job, new blades I guess. Grass has never looked as good ... but that won't last, I predict by end of Summer it'll be back to an over grown forest of weeds :D The novelty of the new mower will wear off

It takes me about three hours to do everything outside, that's mowing, strimming and clearing all away and I might get to it next week.

I like having wild flowers in the garden but I don't like the grass getting too long so I have a few tubs in which the wild flowers flourish :D It's a bit breezy today though and when trying to take pictures of the smaller flowers I was at ISO 3200 so I didn't bother.

It takes me about three hours to do everything outside, that's mowing, strimming and clearing all away and I might get to it next week.

I like having wild flowers in the garden but I don't like the grass getting too long so I have a few tubs in which the wild flowers flourish :D It's a bit breezy today though and when trying to take pictures of the smaller flowers I was at ISO 3200 so I didn't bother.

You never use off-cam flash? I mostly do for macro, helps freeze subjects when even the slightest hint of breeze close up can seem like a hurricane! Also of course, helps keep the ISO down.

No, I've never had anything more than the one camera jobbies and of course with the A7 you don't even get one of them. I have thought about it but it's something I've never got around to doing.

No, I've never had anything more than the one camera jobbies and of course with the A7 you don't even get one of them. I have thought about it but it's something I've never got around to doing.

I'm still using a manual flash I bought about 7-8 years ago with some no-name triggers, think the whole set cost about £90 and it's still bangin' out the light :)

Anyone bought the 24mm GM? it's tempting, would just like to see how people are getting on with it.

Anyone bought the 24mm GM? it's tempting, would just like to see how people are getting on with it.

I have one. I didn’t like at first, it’s exceptionally sharp etc. But, I really struggled with the 24mm focal length and debated getting rid although my missus was using it a lot. Had decided to sell it and get the missus the 25mm Batis instead, but decided to force myself into using it after the investment.

It’s a wonderful lens, I will be keeping it now that I have got used to the focal length. I was so used to using a 35mm and a 20mm I found it too long or too short but I have gelled with it now after using it a few recent weddings.

I have one. I didn’t like at first, it’s exceptionally sharp etc. But, I really struggled with the 24mm focal length and debated getting rid although my missus was using it a lot. Had decided to sell it and get the missus the 25mm Batis instead, but decided to force myself into using it after the investment.

It’s a wonderful lens, I will be keeping it now that I have got used to the focal length. I was so used to using a 35mm and a 20mm I found it too long or too short but I have gelled with it now after using it a few recent weddings.

any examples to share?

Back