The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How did you get the battery out first time you discovered this issue?

Also. Have you used these flashes for event work in next to no light but just strobe dance floor lights? This is where I need the af beam

It was a hassle to get the battery out, just had to give it a good shake.

I have been using these for some time for first dance photos at weddings, I only use them for this. I have never felt I needed an af beam. Most of those would be similar to nightclub conditions. The only pain is the evf lag when using a flash on camera with Sony mirrorless. I have just got used to it and learned to anticipate movement now.

The only issue I came across was that the camera has to be in mechanical shutter mode before you turn the flash on or it will not connect to the camera. Also you need to turn off the electronic pre shutter setting or else it will misfire every now and then. That's the same for all the Godox and even Sony's flash's though.

Last edited:
@jonneymendoza just realised that you are probably wanting to drag the shutter for nightclub photography..

If that is what you are wanting to do then the recommended setting for sony is to shoot in manual focus set about 1m & at f/16.

Last edited:
Your saying the v1 af assist beam works on Sony e mount cameras? Got a link that states this?

I don't know how to Link from facebook, anyway it's on Sony A9, A9II group search for Alan Ng post on 9th June with photo of his Sony A9 and Godox V1 mounted. On his comment he did posts the AF beam assist works and he also confirms that works at dark. I may give this a try tonight as I have Flashpoint GI01.

I don't know how to Link from facebook, anyway it's on Sony A9, A9II group search for Alan Ng post on 9th June with photo of his Sony A9 and Godox V1 mounted. On his comment he did posts the AF beam assist works and he also confirms that works at dark. I may give this a try tonight as I have Flashpoint GI01.

Be surprised if it does, the sensor apparently can't pick up infrared so would need to be led.

Found it. 1560505724299.jpg

Your saying the v1 af assist beam works on Sony e mount cameras? Got a link that states this?

I don't know about this so I'll confirm tonight with my own findings.

Actually scrub that just checked with someone that has a V1 and it does. It is also not very good and as with all a.f assist beams only works in AF-S, which you probably shouldn't use. That's what the guy that has one said anyway.

Last edited:
I've found 1/125 to slow in my experiences, had no issues with 1/250 for unexpected moments during weddings. As TJG says, better to be safe (imo).

Agree. Shots with a slightly higher ISO are not going to be noticed by the couple, but blurry ones are not getting past a cull.

I've found 1/125 to slow in my experiences, had no issues with 1/250 for unexpected moments during weddings. As TJG says, better to be safe (imo).

I guess it depends how good your hand holding technique is I have never had any issues at all. :)

And it's £100 max which is the highest I have seen. It's normally £50-75 max

Btw how did you get along with the
Samyang 85mm/1.4 AF?

returned it. not sure if it was my copy or not, but focus accuracy wasn't up to much. was running latest firmware on both camera and lens. bokeh not really to my liking either.

Do you actually need an AF assist beam on these cameras? I’ve never used one whilst doing weddings and have never really struggled.
Yes

untitled-69-2.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

the above venue was basically dark with just dj strobe lights on.

i struggled and had to use the crappy AF illumator lamp on the actual body to be able to focus....

I think i even missed focus on this...

untitled-25.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Actually scrub that just checked with someone that has a V1 and it does. It is also not very good and as with all a.f assist beams only works in AF-S, which you probably shouldn't use. That's what the guy that has one said anyway.

Ok, I tried it and didn't work on AF-S... maybe I messed up with the settings. Not sure where it's gone wrong.

I'm wanting something mid focal range to fit between my 14mm and 85mm primes. Sony 28mm f/2 (£290) vs Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AF(£399) vs Zony 24-70mm f/4 (£435) vs Samyang 45mm f/1.8 (£269). Trying to keep it something affordable as I don't think it will get a huge amount of use. I was thinking of the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 but money is a bit tight at the moment.

Why is this against the rules?
National Trust don't like any commercial photos at their properties but more because I just walked in (through open gates) at about 9pm.
Entry is usually about £10 but includes house.

Just got the A6400, Sigma 16mm 1.4 for a dedicated gimbal camera. Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about the Sigma 16 !

I would be interested in what you think of the A6400. I’m thinking of getting one myself.

The AF was what swayed me for it. Esp for gimbal shots etc. Interested to see how it performs myself! Anything pre A7III/A9 etc was ruled out as the AF is generally abit s***e on them lol

Back