The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

But the A9 is sub £3k.
Yes and even less but not quite enough MPs with birds you nearly always have to crop quite a lot my a7r4 can do that the a9 is a little behind for me but is still a great camera .
Rob.

It seems to me that it's being launched with professionals and specifically the Olympics next year in mind to try to get a share of that market dominated by Canon. I'm not in the market for one anyway, so I'll keep using my A73. I think that the future A74 will have much more value for money and features when it is eventually launched. I can't see that the new A92 has any worthwhile upgrades for the normal consumer original A9 owner.... same sensor, same screen, no touchscreen functionality! … BUT … It does get the coloured focus box! :banana:
You do know the A9 has the coloured focus box to released a week ago via firmware

Yes and even less but not quite enough MPs with birds you nearly always have to crop quite a lot my a7r4 can do that the a9 is a little behind for me but is still a great camera .
Rob.
Not just for birds.. In sport you crop a lot.

Having a higher mp count should be very important in a action camera

A9ii looks a pricey upgrade, those that need it will pay, so far the main thing that will appeal to some hobbyists looks like the 10fps mech shutter and improved sealing. I really hope Sony don’t go down the early release, incremental upgrade path again.

Last edited:
There will always be a group of buyers that simply must have the very newest models, slight changes or not.

I think the specs of the A9-II are actually very good if you're looking at it as a 'stand alone' product, in fact very impressive. However as most have said on here it isn't much of an upgrade, and to me it's what the A9 should have been. I don't think it needs more MP, and it's great they've made the mechanical shutter usable for sports in terms of frame rate. The only thing lacking is a global shutter, but that's just a pipe dream at the mo. I'm not sure what else you possibly need. Price is very steep though.

I think the specs of the A9-II are actually very good if you're looking at it as a 'stand alone' product, in fact very impressive. However as most have said on here it isn't much of an upgrade, and to me it's what the A9 should have been. I don't think it needs more MP, and it's great they've made the mechanical shutter usable for sports in terms of frame rate. The only thing lacking is a global shutter, but that's just a pipe dream at the mo. I'm not sure what else you possibly need. Price is very steep though.
What's a global shutter?

What's a global shutter?

Every pixel blinks simultaneously.

Current sensors goes from one corner to the other, all the way to the opposite end.

It's the reason why rolling shutter in video occurs, it's why if you swing camera left and right with something vertical, it looks like its tilted.

Last edited:
The market it's aimed at will buy it. I know plenty of sports shooters that don't buy cameras, their agency/company buys them. Every upgrade is bought without hesitation. With the Olympics coming up next year, Sony will sell plenty of these. 24mp is perfect for the shooters it's aimed at and the connectivity improvements will be a big selling point.

It's a wonderful camera but not worth an upgrade for most private a9 owners IMO. Will be keeping an eye on the prices of grey A9s over the next 6 months, though.

It just goes to show how good the technology is in the Sony A9 when it came out some years back.
As each year passes, the nails in the DSLR coffins hammer deeper and deeper. :)
We are yet to see both Nikon & Canon best Sony’s offerings.

Every pixel blinks simultaneously.

Current sensors goes from one corner to the other, all the way to the opposite end.

It's the reason why rolling shutter in video occurs, it's why if you swing camera left and right with something vertical, it looks like its tilted.

Rolling shutter in stills and banding under flickering lights too.

With the A9ii Sony appear to have listened to what have been stated as deficiencies in the original A9, and fixed a number of one which might have been holding back sales.
It's not a revolutionary upgrade, but certainly helps remove some negatives that might have people choosing alternatives.
Dual UHS-ii slots - Keeping Raymond happy :)
Mechanical Shutter now does 10 fps, and rated at 500,000 +
Improved weather sealing
Improved connectivity
Voice memo

All are making it a more 'Pro' camera - better able to compete with the 'solid' traditional DSLR's - which is where Sony want this camera to be, lined up alongside the offerings from Canon and Nikon at major sporting events.

And for the rest of us - potentially a drop in A9 prices, and more s/h A9's on the market:D

With the A9ii Sony appear to have listened to what have been stated as deficiencies in the original A9, and fixed a number of one which might have been holding back sales.
It's not a revolutionary upgrade, but certainly helps remove some negatives that might have people choosing alternatives.
Dual UHS-ii slots - Keeping Raymond happy :)
Mechanical Shutter now does 10 fps, and rated at 500,000 +
Improved weather sealing
Improved connectivity
Voice memo

All are making it a more 'Pro' camera - better able to compete with the 'solid' traditional DSLR's - which is where Sony want this camera to be, lined up alongside the offerings from Canon and Nikon at major sporting events.

And for the rest of us - potentially a drop in A9 prices, and more s/h A9's on the market:D
They won't be many 2nd hand a9. Infact most will just keep there a9 until the mk3 comes

They won't be many 2nd hand a9. Infact most will just keep there a9 until the mk3 comes

Pretty much this most of the wedding photographers that have them aren’t switching anyway. I might just pick an A9 new myself they are already pretty cheap grey and I have had an unexpected windfall today.

Pretty much this most of the wedding photographers that have them aren’t switching anyway. I might just pick an A9 new myself they are already pretty cheap grey and I have had an unexpected windfall today.
That's where Sony dropped the ball.

They have missed out big time on the none hardcore sports pros from upgrading to this.

By all means improve the things they did but also bring something that gives us a reason to upgrade. 36mp or even a 30fps increase would have enticed more. Or Heck out the A9 mk2 into a brand new bigger Sony body

They have missed out big time on the none hardcore sports pros from upgrading to this.

By all means improve the things they did but also bring something that gives us a reason to upgrade. 36mp or even a 30fps increase would have enticed more. Or Heck out the A9 mk2 into a brand new bigger Sony body

To be fair I guess the market for cameras specifically for us wedding and event guys isn’t huge. None of Sony’s current range is a perfect match really.

The A7III is probably the closest to being ideal.

The A7RIV produces files that are too big to be useful in terms of workflow but that seems to be the one they are aiming at the wedding guys as it’s great for portraits.

The A9 is great but dynamic range isn’t ideal.

It’s a pity really if they allowed the option for smaller raw files on the A7RIV it would probably be a decent option.

To be fair I guess the market for cameras specifically for us wedding and event guys isn’t huge. None of Sony’s current range is a perfect match really.

The A7III is probably the closest to being ideal.

The A7RIV produces files that are too big to be useful in terms of workflow but that seems to be the one they are aiming at the wedding guys as it’s great for portraits.

The A9 is great but dynamic range isn’t ideal.

It’s a pity really if they allowed the option for smaller raw files on the A7RIV it would probably be a decent option.

I think the A9 is better for weddings due to the silent shutter and more advanced AF system ..... :) and if you get the shot right in camera, dynamic range isn't as bad as some people make out.
I can see more wedding photographers going down the A9 route if prices drop further. :)

I would've used the A7RIV for the studio shoot over my A73 for the fact that it can tether wirelessly. But in the end I got myself a couple of USB-C extension cables for £20 and saved £3k.

60mp would be nice, but the client only uses the images for the online catalogue so that level of pixel peeping is not required.

How have they missed out? You will still be able to buy the Sony A9 a long side the A9 II.
The wedding / sports shooters can get the A9 for a good price, the more advanced professional users who have their cameras provided to them will get the A9 II.
Its a win win for Sony as both bodies will be generating a nice profit catering for two different sets of users :D
There is no need for more mega pixels as they have the Sony A7 Rx series for resolution, the A9 series has always been about speed.

Hi watching this with interest , I'm a Canon 1dx mk2 user but too heavy due to onset of arthritis ,o need a lighter kit mainly for aircraft I know the lenses I want 100/400,, 200/600 just need to find a body A9 a7r3

Hi watching this with interest , I'm a Canon 1dx mk2 user but too heavy due to onset of arthritis ,o need a lighter kit mainly for aircraft I know the lenses I want 100/400,, 200/600 just need to find a body A9 a7r3
Just be careful as the Sony FE lenses are not always much smaller / lighter than the DSLR equivalents.

Back