The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How have they missed out? You will still be able to buy the Sony A9 a long side the A9 II.
The wedding / sports shooters can get the A9 for a good price, the more advanced professional users who have their cameras provided to them will get the A9 II.
Its a win win for Sony as both bodies will be generating a nice profit catering for two different sets of users :D
There is no need for more mega pixels as they have the Sony A7 Rx series for resolution, the A9 series has always been about speed.

They have missed out on all those serious/semi pro toggers out there who would be willing to upgrade there existing A9's

But now you will see many including me just sticking with the A9 as the updates dont justify an extra 3k to pay for just quicker transfer rates and slightly better grip and weather sealing.

There is a lot of need for more pixels.

For example. wildlife, its very eractic and requires speed just like sports in general. However, You do know that MOST wildlife and sports shots are cropped. sometimes heavily especially sports shots that look quite bad in some form or the other due to an excessive crop .

Cropping is king and very common for sports and wildlife more so than say taking street, landscape or portait.

I'd say a high megapixel is more handing for wildlife and sports then any other genre

I think the A9 is better for weddings due to the silent shutter and more advanced AF system ..... :) and if you get the shot right in camera, dynamic range isn't as bad as some people make out.
I can see more wedding photographers going down the A9 route if prices drop further. :)

The silent shutter is less of an issue than you might think. I hardly use it on my A7III as couples found it a bit unnerving. It’s only really the photographer that notices it,nobody else cares.

Dynamic range isn’t just about latitude for nailing correct exposure, at a wedding you are generally not looking for correct exposure you are looking for an exposure that fits the mood. Having a camera that allows for that flexibility is a huge bonus and the A9 isn’t great.

The a.f system is only more advanced on the A9 because it can handle more calculations. In low light situations which is a given at weddings the A9 struggles a lot more than the A7III it only has 25 contrast detect points vs the A7III’s 425 and no they didn’t add this to the A9 via firmware like you suggested on another post, that just isn’t possible.

They have missed out on all those serious/semi pro toggers out there who would be willing to upgrade there existing A9's

But now you will see many including me just sticking with the A9 as the updates dont justify an extra 3k to pay for just quicker transfer rates and slightly better grip and weather sealing.

For example. wildlife, its very eractic and requires speed just like sports in general. However, You do know that MOST wildlife and sports shots are cropped. sometimes heavily especially sports shots that look quite bad in some form or the other due to an excessive crop .

Cropping is king and very common for sports and wildlife more so than say taking street, landscape or portait.

I'd say a high megapixel is more handing for wildlife and sports then any other genre

I don't think Sony has missed out though, the A9 is purely designed for the upcoming Olympic events where speed in getting the images to the press is key.
Those who don't need the A9 II features will buy the A9... either way Sony has two high end bodies to offer consumers and make profits from. A win win for Sony.

For high resolution, the R series is the one to go for...

A7 series = Consumer all-round body
A7S series = Ultimate sensitivity
A7R series = Ultimate resolution
A9 series = Ultimate speed

Any sports photographer I have ever talked too doesn’t want a high res body it’s too much of a workflow issue in terms of transferring files from pitch side. To be fair most of the sports photographers I know just shoot football, rugby and golf so there needs may be different than for other sports.

I don't think Sony has missed out though, the A9 is purely designed for the upcoming Olympic events where speed in getting the images to the press is key.
Those who don't need the A9 II features will buy the A9... either way Sony has two high end bodies to offer consumers and make profits from. A win win for Sony.

For high resolution, the R series is the one to go for...

A7 series = Consumer all-round body
A7S series = Ultimate sensitivity
A7R series = Ultimate resolution
A9 series = Ultimate speed

Well where talking about slapping on a 61mp sensor on an a9. a 36mp should easily be doable with todays media card tech and processors as well as connectivity tech too.

Its a shame that they did not increase the resolution a bit.We aint asking for 61mp. only half that!

Any sports photographer I have ever talked too doesn’t want a high res body it’s too much of a workflow issue in terms of transferring files from pitch side. To be fair most of the sports photographers I know just shoot football, rugby and golf so there needs may be different than for other sports.
I shoot football myself and tend to crop quite a bit in my photos.

Plus as i said above, todays connectivity and media format technology can easily transfer 36mp files across easily

Plus as i said above, todays connectivity and media format technology can easily transfer 36mp files across easily

Cropping isn’t an issue at all. I know several footy guys and they definitely don’t want want higher res cameras.

I guess it depends what level you are working at, you only shoot footy for kicks where as they are doing it for a full time living.

The silent shutter is less of an issue than you might think. I hardly use it on my A7III as couples found it a bit unnerving. It’s only really the photographer that notices it,nobody else cares.

Dynamic range isn’t just about latitude for nailing correct exposure, at a wedding you are generally not looking for correct exposure you are looking for an exposure that fits the mood. Having a camera that allows for that flexibility is a huge bonus and the A9 isn’t great.

The a.f system is only more advanced on the A9 because it can handle more calculations. In low light situations which is a given at weddings the A9 struggles a lot more than the A7III it only has 25 contrast detect points vs the A7III’s 425 and no they didn’t add this to the A9 via firmware like you suggested on another post, that just isn’t possible.

Silent shooting review from one wedding photographer....... many more feel the same way:-
One of the headline features with this camera is it’s ability to shoot silently. Not just quietly, but in complete and utter silence, and yes, this is amazing. Other cameras have had this ability before, but it was always extremely limited in real world shooting because of rolling shutter distortion and horrible colour banding under most indoor lighting situations. I’m not going to go into this in detail (Google it!) but I will say that Sony’s advances with the electronic shutter mean that it is completely usable 98% of the time.

A couple of caveats: occasionally you will come across lighting that doesn’t play nice with the e-shutter and also you can’t use the e-shutter with flash. Now in both of those situations you just make a quick switch over to the mechanical shutter and carry on, it’s no biggie.

Shooting silently has had the biggest immediate impact on the way I can shoot on a wedding day, compared to any other feature on any camera. I no longer have to tread carefully during the vows or during a quiet moment for fear of shutter noise, I can quite literally shoot the s*** out of it and no one is any the wiser. THIS IS HUGE. I would hate to go back to a camera without this ability. HUGE!!!
https://www.albionrow.com/sony-a9-review-wedding-photography/

Dynamic Range.
The Sony A7 III has a 1-stop EV advange in dynamic range but only a lower ISO's, and when the light levels drop, the A9 would be the better choice due to the more advance AF system. http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony ILCE-7M3,Sony ILCE-9

AF System.
v5.00 (25-03-2019)
This software update expands on the model’s already acclaimed AF performance and adds a host of new functions that further support shooting, viewing and customising the camera. You can find below a summary of key highlights for this firmware update.
Added & Improved AF functions:
  • Real-time tracking function
  • Evolution of Eye AF function
  • Increased focal plane phase detection AF accuracy and expanded application range
  • Increased number of contrast AF frame divisions
  • Circulate focusing position setting
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-9-series/ilce-9/downloads/00016358
https://www.markgaler.com/a9-firmware-update-version-5-00
Increased number of contrast AF frame divisions (25 frames to 425 frames)

As I have said many times before, the Sony A7 III is a great all round body, but it ain't no Sony A9 killer.

Cropping isn’t an issue at all. I know several footy guys and they definitely don’t want want higher res cameras.

I guess it depends what level you are working at, you only shoot footy for kicks where as they are doing it for a full time living.
I also know a few who shoots pro football and they all crop there images or the editors do.

I guess some do and some dont

Silent shooting review from one wedding photographer....... many more feel the same way:-
https://www.albionrow.com/sony-a9-review-wedding-photography/

Dynamic Range.
The Sony A7 III has a 1-stop EV advange in dynamic range but only a lower ISO's, and when the light levels drop, the A9 would be the better choice due to the more advance AF system. http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony ILCE-7M3,Sony ILCE-9

AF System.
v5.00 (25-03-2019)
This software update expands on the model’s already acclaimed AF performance and adds a host of new functions that further support shooting, viewing and customising the camera. You can find below a summary of key highlights for this firmware update.
Added & Improved AF functions:
  • Real-time tracking function
  • Evolution of Eye AF function
  • Increased focal plane phase detection AF accuracy and expanded application range
  • Increased number of contrast AF frame divisions
  • Circulate focusing position setting
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-9-series/ilce-9/downloads/00016358
https://www.markgaler.com/a9-firmware-update-version-5-00

As I have said many times before, the Sony A7 III is a great all round body, but it ain't no Sony A9 killer.
how the hell did the add contrast points on a firmware. aint that a physical thing they need to slap on the sensor ?lol

how the hell did the add contrast points on a firmware. aint that a physical thing they need to slap on the sensor ?lol
Perhaps they are software based detection zones? Or perhaps they had the sensor already fabricated from day one with 425 detection points.
Sony work in mysterious and magical ways my friend :D lol

Perhaps they are software based detection zones? Or perhaps they had the sensor already fabricated from day one with 425 detection points.
Hopefully they unlock the extra 12mp on the a9mk2 sensor via firmware update hehe

Hopefully they unlock the extra 12mp on the a9mk2 sensor via firmware update hehe

Now that would be some real kaizan magic lol.
Seriously though, the A9 is still so current with what it offers........ I mean how much more AF speed do we need? lol

That is utter nonsense.

The A9 with bang up to date firmware has 25 contrast detect a.f points. You can’t add a.f points by firmware. Frame divisions and a.f points are two completely different things.

Last edited:
That is utter nonsense.

The A9 with bang up to date firmware has 25 contrast detect a.f points. You can’t add a.f points by firmware.
Seriously, I am not lying..... remember its a "reborn" camera lol....

https://briansmith.com/sony-announces-sony-a9-reborn-with-firmware-update-5-00-coming-in-march/

Increased number of contrast AF frame divisions
The number of contrast AF frame divisions has been increased from the current 25 frames to 425 frames. This enables highly accurate AF even in low-light environments or other scenes where contrast AF is advantageous. Use in combination with 693-point focal plane phase detection AF realizes high-speed, highly accurate AF in all circumstances.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/ne...nted-by-major-update-news-from-blackmagic-can

Any Sony's official specification.....
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-9#product_details_default

Features both 693-point wide-area phase detection AF and 425-point contrast-detection*
*Software update (ver. 5.0 or later) is required.

Last edited:

That is bizarre because an A9 with the latest firmware stiill sucks in low light at smaller apertures. A7III spanks it rather badly.

I am still gonna buy one.

Last edited:
That is bizarre because an A9 with the latest firmware stiill sucks in low light at smaller apertures. A7III spanks it rather badly.
I sold my A7 III..... as my testing showed the A9 to be better. I think we are splitting hairs, both bodies are still better than anything Nikon or Canon are offering...... :D

I sold my A7 III..... as my testing showed the A9 to be better. I think we are splitting hairs, both bodies are still better than anything Nikon or Canon are offering...... :D

Yeah but you have never shot a wedding. I have used both side by side at a wedding, I know lots of other wedding photographers who use A9's and they all say the same thing.

It doesn't matter really I am still gonne buy one. With the A9II being a bit meh I am gonna get an A9 and an A7RIII. I had fingers crossed hoping that the A9II would cover both needs but it wasn't to be.

I am still gonna buy one.
Wow does it.? I need to test it but when I shot it in a studio env with just one modeling light on and at f8 ish the A9 focused really well

Oh, I like that, great image!
What extensions tubes are you using please? I was thinking of getting them for my A7iii too.

Hi, I got the Neewer Metal AF Auto-focus Macro Extension Tube Set 10mm&16mm from Amazon, currently £21.49 :)

Great, thank you!
Was that image cropped?
How much magnification do you get with the 85 lens and the extension tubes?

Hi, no, image not cropped at all. That was with both extension tubes attached. I'm not sure what the magnification is, I'm afraid. Not sure how I would check!

Just thinking, that bubble was about 4 inches wide at the base of it, if that helps.

I can see why pros aren’t interested in higher MP. If you were a pro shooting football would you have time crop and process whilst pitch side/straight after the game? I’ve always thought pro sports photographers did minimal processing because needed to get the photos out quickly straight after the game otherwise other photographers beat them.

I can see why pros aren’t interested in higher MP. If you were a pro shooting football would you have time crop and process whilst pitch side/straight after the game? I’ve always thought pro sports photographers did minimal processing because needed to get the photos out quickly straight after the game otherwise other photographers beat them.

Correct, shot in jpeg too!

The A9 was already miles ahead of the bunch, I just find it hard to fathom they never upgraded the screen and EVF, mental given its price point. Sony's displays in their cameras is embarrassingly bad (maybe bar the A7R4)

A canon 550D from 10+ years ago had a better quality screen than what you get in the A7III LOL

Editors normally edit them as they get the pics. There no way u can nail every shot horizontal straight for example

The screen I have no idea why it wasn’t changed , but did read that the didn’t change the EVF due to the fact it has such a high refresh rate, and they couldn’t get the new higher mp EVF to match it.
How true I’m not sure but expect they would have a valid reason not too.

Back