The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I had a Canon fit 12-24mm and liked it very much but these days I'm more 35/50mm. One thing I'd love is a cruise to (hopefully) see the northern lights and if I ever get to go I'll probably want to take a wide lens.

The mode 1 is a standard IS mode - for any and all movement - so it's the default one to use for general shooting. Mode 2 is a 'panning' optimised mode, so it is providing stabilisation mostly on a single axis, and avoiding correcting for panning or side-to-side motion

Nice one, thanks.

I had a Canon fit 12-24mm and liked it very much but these days I'm more 35/50mm. One thing I'd love is a cruise to (hopefully) see the northern lights and if I ever get to go I'll probably want to take a wide lens.

Widest and fastest for northern lights, hence I prefer Sigma 14-24mm 2.8 :)

Wow, I missed a lot!

The D750 was a great (and still is for some) for me. I used it for sports and had no issues what so ever. Its tracking was fast and accurate and it rarely missed focus (when paired with 70-200 2.8).

No doubt it can still do a great job, but the A7III just does things that little bit better and has more options that help make it a better all round camera.

I was so anti-sony for so long but would not go back to a D750 or any of Nikon's current offerings at the moment.

Still, my A9 is still in its box - been ill and work been so busy I have had zero time with it!

Still, my A9 is still in its box - been ill and work been so busy I have had zero time with it!
Time is a big problem for me also... got two kids... 4 and 2 and they seem to eat up any free time I have. :(
Aim to get the A9 out at some point :D

According to the rumour site the Tamron 70-180 will arrive in the spring and they have lodged patents for:

50 2.8
80 2.8
105 2.8
35 1.8

Wow, I missed a lot!

The D750 was a great (and still is for some) for me. I used it for sports and had no issues what so ever. Its tracking was fast and accurate and it rarely missed focus (when paired with 70-200 2.8).

No doubt it can still do a great job, but the A7III just does things that little bit better and has more options that help make it a better all round camera.

I was so anti-sony for so long but would not go back to a D750 or any of Nikon's current offerings at the moment.

Tbh if you can get on with Sony ergonomics it doesn’t make sense to look elsewhere for FF mirrorless at the mo, at least from a performance point of view.
A few from the last couple of days.

DSC08807 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09822-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC09054-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08239-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08246 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr
Very nice. More doggie photos please (y)

That first image! Wow! Very nice :)

I was going to say Centre Parcs! We were there last weekend at Longleat. Our first ever time.

Thanks, I must admit I was always a bit negative when it came to Centre Parcs (the whole plonking a shopping centre/food court in the middle of a lovely forest). My Sister, Partner, Mother and the kids go every year, and with it only being an hour or so from home (Whinfell Forest) I generally go and meet them for the day and drive home. This year I did enjoy it much more, discovering the bird hide really made me enjoy the day much more.

PS, the first image is taken in a local coastal wood, I have done the same composition a few times but have been waiting for the right day for the light to hit her face. I though it may have taken some flak on here for the Sony 85mm f/1.8 controversial bokeh :sneaky:

I though it may have taken some flak on here for the Sony 85mm f/1.8 controversial bokeh :sneaky:

I don't get why it's 'controversial' - looks completely fine. In many cases I find nothing as boring as completely smooth 'bokeh' tbh, why have a backdrop to begin with if it's a complete blur? I prefer some definition to it, I like to get a feel for the environment [even when it's blurred out]

Love your doggy shots, they're always great, but I love that Robin image too :)

Last edited:
Oh man Sony's suck, the menu nobody ever needs after initial setup and the sub par handling, which annoys people who have never used the camera, may as well have a DVD player ( @woof woof) in the hands. That cluttered display you can change by pressing a simple button, those really poor fw updates. That AF that nails pretty much every shot in any conditions, no black out, 20fps, fantastic battery life, dual cards, completely silent shooting, files that can push and pull to the limits in Lightroom without any issues, eye AF that just does what it's supposed to with humans and pets, huge 1st party and 3rd party lens and accessory support. That crappy 1/32000 and 500k MS shutter life.

Can totally understand why people are getting hung up. Sorry, just seeing some BS posts and thought we could add some balance in the Sony thread because if it's posted elsewhere somebody might become upset.

Last edited:
Oh man Sony's suck, the menu nobody ever needs after initial setup and the sub par handling, which annoys people who have never used the camera, may as well have a DVD player ( @woof woof) in the hands. That cluttered display you can change by pressing a simple button, those really poor fw updates. That AF that nails pretty much every shot in any conditions, no black out, 20fps, fantastic battery life, dual cards, completely silent shooting, files that can push and pull to the limits in Lightroom without any issues, eye AF that just does what it's supposed to with humans and pets, huge 1st party and 3rd party lens and accessory support. That crappy 1/32000 and 500k MS shutter life.

Can totally understand why people are getting hung up. Sorry, just seeing some BS posts and thought we could add some balance in the Sony thread because if it's posted elsewhere somebody might become upset.

:LOL:

I have one major problem with Sony, now that I have 6 bodies and every lens I wanted I have nothing at all on my want list.

Not one thing. :(

Yea Sony's suck!

:LOL:

I have one major problem with Sony, now that I have 6 bodies and every lens I wanted I have nothing at all on my want list.

Not one thing. :(

I am really good at helping with shopping lists :whistle:

Surely if you have every camera bit and accessory you need on the day you need a marginally better computer... you know for tp and interweb and a little Lightroom.

Is it that s***

I am really good at helping with shopping lists :whistle:

Surely if you have every camera bit and accessory you need on the day you need a marginally better computer... you know for tp and interweb and a little Lightroom.

Got 2 new desktops last week. :LOL:

Are you having a nervous break down? :ROFLMAO:

But is the a9 any better at AF speed or it just the zero black out and 20 shoots

It's better and the real time AF is pretty incredible, it just somehow knows to stick to the subject and if it's human it goes to face or eye detect, voodoo mate.
I’ll wait till you put it on classified

Na, just summed up the interesting bits being posted elsewhere but adding some balance. Can't post elsewhere because it upsets certain folk :)

So you're ranting about what someone said in another thread? Seemed very random :D

Back