The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

But then again it could be the camera or the lens... So the A9 with a 24-70 2.8 gm lens could produce as good or better images ive been getting on my nikon
Stop it ;)

I choose whatever is best for my usage and budget at the time of purchase. The brand name makes no difference, its whats inside the box.
Agreed, I’ve never got the brand loyalty/defensiveness thing tbh. Like you I get what works for me at the time for the reasons that matter to me. I’ve got a Nikon with sub par performance and an Olympus with a “tiny sensor” and I think they’re both great.

My digital camera history is something like 4x Nikon, 4x Olly, 1x Fuji, 1x Canon and 6x Sony off the top of my head. I’d like to give the A9-II a go to test the ergonomics but there’s no point at the mo as it’s outside my price range and then some. But by the time it comes down Nikon might have brought out the gen 2 Z’s and I’ll stick with them. Or maybe I’ll be bored of it all and will just use my iPhone :LOL:

Last edited:
Shame it not matching colour like the GM Lens. Report says it just as good as GM too and fraction of price

I couldn’t rate this lens highly enough.
Small, lightweight and preforms well above it price range.
It matches or surpasses my Nikon 24-70 in sharpness and image quality and with sony’s AF seems as good AF wise but at 1/3 of the cost.

Yes I do miss that extra 4mm at times. But I could add the 17-28 and still be under or at the price of the Nikon.

Creed is the equivalent of Sony and the ladies absolutely love it.

Just on what ladies like... I once had a GF who was in most aspects gorgeous and she once told me there's nothing wrong with smelling like a man. Each to their own I suppose but showering twice a day (maybe more if in Thailand or somewhere else just about unbearable for a northerner,) and using deodorant and a man perfume doesn't affect my manhood and seems the kinder thing to do for those close to us.

Just on what ladies like... I once had a GF who was in most aspects gorgeous and she once told me there's nothing wrong with smelling like a man. Each to their own I suppose but showering twice a day (maybe more if in Thailand or somewhere else just about unbearable for a northerner,) and using deodorant and a man perfume doesn't affect my manhood and seems the kinder thing to do for those close to us.

Sounds like she would enjoy journey on the northern line during rush hour in the summer

There's nothing wrong with wanting to smell nice for yourself either. I mean a splash of after shave isn't suddenly going to make you less of a cave man :D showering twice a day sounds like work though, once is enough for me.

Last edited:
I have used my Canon M5 and 150-600mm sport a few times, rather front heavy though. :rolleyes:

Had the M6II had a proper EVF (built in) I would have jumped on one by now.

Still mulling over the A9 and 200-600mm combo.

Regardless of the body it'll be front heavy. My A7RIV + 200-600mm is also front heavy.

I'm so glad you said that, I can stop fantasizing about the 200-600 immediately!

If I'm honest this is the only reason I haven't bought a High Spec mirrorless body yet, I tend to use mostly big lenses along with a couple of gripped DSLR's and all of the ML bodies I have tried have been too small even with a grip. Once one of the manufacturers realise there is a market out there for a mirrorless wildlife camera I think then the DSLR may have had it's day.

If I'm honest this is the only reason I haven't bought a High Spec mirrorless body yet, I tend to use mostly big lenses along with a couple of gripped DSLR's and all of the ML bodies I have tried have been too small even with a grip. Once one of the manufacturers realise there is a market out there for a mirrorless wildlife camera I think then the DSLR may have had it's day.

having come from DSLRs makes no difference if its a DSLR or mirrorless tbh. The size and weight of lenses far outweigh any negligible gains from a slightly larger body.

My issue with the 200-600 is nothing to do with practically, more to do with economics. Having already bought into the system with the 100-400 and 1.4 TC it would be madness to ditch that in favour of the 200-600.
Doesn't stop me fantasising though.
Also my wife would kill me.....

My issue with the 200-600 is nothing to do with practically, more to do with economics. Having already bought into the system with the 100-400 and 1.4 TC it would be madness to ditch that in favour of the 200-600.
I’m the opposite! The 200-600 looks like a nice lens and probably better for some things but it would be getting back towards the physical size of the 200-400 f4 I had previously. I quite like the smaller size of the 100-400. It makes transporting it much easier.

i went from 100-400mm+1.4x to 200-600mm. You can probably fund a new 200-600mm if you sold both :)

just get 600mm f/4 all problems will go away except missus :ROFLMAO:

How many of you really put GM lens on your Sony cameras such as the A9 I know 2 of you are GM fans Riz and Jonny but not sure about rest of you.

How many of you really put GM lens on your Sony cameras such as the A9 I know 2 of you are GM fans Riz and Jonny but not sure about rest of you.

I have got two "GM" lenses and two "G" lenses.
Previously had 3 GM lenses but swapped the 100-400GM for 200-600G.

I have the 24GM, 85GM and the 135GM use them all a lot probably the 24GM most.

No GM, arts and Sony's low end 85 which is really very good for the money. If I used 85 more I'd definitely go for the gm though, the art is to huge. The 24gm also looks tasty.

I can see someone thinking about going back to Sony ;)

No GM, arts and Sony's low end 85 which is really very good for the money. If I used 85 more I'd definitely go for the gm though, the art is to huge. The 24gm also looks tasty.

If we're to believe DXOmark the 85 1.8 is sharper than the GM. Of course sharpness isn't everything, but the 1.8 has impressive stats for a 'low end' lens.

If we're to believe DXOmark the 85 1.8 is sharper than the GM. Of course sharpness isn't everything, but the 1.8 has impressive stats for a 'low end' lens.

I've been really impressed, not seeing the bokeh issues, perhaps because I use the lens at waist up and not environmental where I'd use my 35. The AF is rapid and the fn button is a nice touch. Can't go wrong for little money, much nicer than the ef85 and 85g.

I've been really impressed, not seeing the bokeh issues, perhaps because I use the lens at waist up and not environmental where I'd use my 35. The AF is rapid and the fn button is a nice touch. Can't go wrong for little money, much nicer than the ef85 and 85g.

It's probably the first lens I'd buy if I got a Sony cam, I don't see the bokeh issues some complain about either. Seen some very nice images from it in here and never once thought 'would be nicer with better bokeh' - I think that's all personal preference. I'm not a huge fan of absoloute blurring out of all but the subject, I like some definition even in the OOF areas, gives more a sense of location

Back