The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How can they ever be perfect for everyone? I don't like Canon menus but I don't mind Sony and Nikon, not that I use them.

There will always be complaints even to the point of ott pettiness.

As a silly example I once did a report that ran to several hundred pages and at the meeting I was expecting the usual open warfare but what it came down to was someone saying he didn't like the font.

First world problems.

Ermm no.... he was the actual A7R II nation wide dealer with the vast amount of stocks he moved. @addicknchips lol ;)

A7R2 the camera i hate to love. or is it love to hate?

a9 is great. and for anyone who is counting, ive only had 2. Outstanding cameras and im sure i'll have another. Although the price of the camera compared to the price of an a73 - means its quite a hard one to justify the upgrade. Yes the a9 is better. but for what i do, if im not getting the shots its my fault and no limitation of the camera.

I nearly ordered a Tokina 20mm f2 AF yesterday and I'd probably have bought it if I'd had my credit card with me but then I got think about what Toni said about the Samyang 18mm f2.8 and I got thinking about that too.

Tokina 20mm f2 or Samyang 18mm f2.8 or just not bother.

I nearly ordered a Tokina 20mm f2 AF yesterday and I'd probably have bought it if I'd had my credit card with me but then I got think about what Toni said about the Samyang 18mm f2.8 and I got thinking about that too.

Tokina 20mm f2 or Samyang 18mm f2.8 or just not bother.
Just order a Sony A7 III, it is time to upgrade from the original A7 ;)

A7R2 the camera i hate to love. or is it love to hate?

a9 is great. and for anyone who is counting, ive only had 2. Outstanding cameras and im sure i'll have another. Although the price of the camera compared to the price of an a73 - means its quite a hard one to justify the upgrade. Yes the a9 is better. but for what i do, if im not getting the shots its my fault and no limitation of the camera.

To be fair I have only had 2 also. I have never left Sony since I got bullied in to here though.

I have had the following..

Sony A7
Sony A7 II
Sony A7 III
Sony A7R II x2
Sony A9

:D

Just order a Sony A7 III, it is time to upgrade from the original A7 ;)

I don't think an A7III will do all that much for me. I don't need the better focus systems and any increase in ISO/DR/overall IQ will probably be negligible for me.

I might order a lens today, the credit card is now in my pocket :D But I might not bother and just continue with my 17 and 19mm film lenses.

Is it a while since we had pictures? I haven't been out for over a week but I bet someone has taken some pictures they'd like to post?

An older photo taken on the Sony A9 + Zeiss 55mm f1.8 1/160sec ISO160

39194620720_bde5b5fc7f_c.jpg

I've been looking at my 17 and 19mm pictures, I think this was taken with the Vivitar 19mm. I've been thinking of printing it.

NWipuQp.jpg

I like this one, 19mm again.

mQe2J7U.jpg

I was reading a review of the Sigma 20mm f1.8 yesterday and the reviewer said that lens had no bokeh. What a silly comment.

Last edited:
Hopefully this is the right thread for these but I just picked up a used A6300 + 35mm F1.8.

Took a few test shots last night and very happy so far, its so much lighter than my previous Canon 6D but still feels really solid.

We are off to Bruges next weekend but I am thinking the 35mm on the crop is not going to be wide enough for most of the shots I am going to want so looking at alternative options. I would prefer to avoid the kit lens but I bought into the mirrorless range to save weight and size so would prefer a wide angle prime as opposed to a zoom. My thoughts are the 20mm F2.8 pancake lens as it should be wide enough for most shots but also small and light.

You could try the Samyang 18mm f2.8 - IIRC about £350 on Amazon or £270 grey on E-Infinity (may not arrive in time though). It's small, light & quality looks OK.

So anyone using the 35mm 1.8? The 2.8 is nice and compact but this looks like a step up in IQ? I like my 50 but it’s not quite as versatile as a 35!

I need to stop coming in here, getting itch to get an A7iii again :facepalm:, although I want a A7iv really when released, whatever that may be. Can’t be bothered with the hassle of moving gear on though.

So anyone using the 35mm 1.8? The 2.8 is nice and compact but this looks like a step up in IQ? I like my 50 but it’s not quite as versatile as a 35!

I have one. People seem to want to complain about the bokeh and the CA but I think both are pretty much par for the course. The lens is sharp and the close focus ability comes in handy for people like me who like to take pictures of leaves and flowers and other stuff when out walking.

I don't remember anyone posting too many pictures taken with it, apart from me. There's a thread on it here...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1602079

Last edited:
There will always be complaints even to the point of ott pettiness.

As a silly example I once did a report that ran to several hundred pages and at the meeting I was expecting the usual open warfare but what it came down to was someone saying he didn't like the font.

First world problems.
C'mon, what's wrong with you? You've got to have the right font ;):p:LOL:

I have one. People seem to want to complain about the bokeh and the CA but I think both are pretty much par for the course. The lens is sharp and the close focus ability comes in handy for people like me who like to take pictures of leaves and flowers and other stuff when out walking.

I don't remember anyone posting too many pictures taken with it, apart from me. There's a thread on it here...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1602079

Cheers! Will have a read on way home!

id only go that route if desperate for cash. ive never had a decent quote from them.
I've had some, they're very hit and miss though. Harrisons used to be good but I've not had a decent quote from them in a long time now :(

id only go that route if desperate for cash. ive never had a decent quote from them.

Yeah. I’m not really. If I did it id obviously want to do it with as little cost as possible. It doesn’t seem worth taking a hit in value for a body with about 500 on the shutter, 30 months Panamoz warranty. Maybe best eBay on £1 listing. £1600.

I got thinking about it because of lens prices, the Z lenses (primes) aren’t really coming down, except the 50. Whereas the Sony 35/85 are pretty reasonable. Then when I originally considered months ago as I wanted the 24-105, for more range than the 24-70.

@Raymond Lin Thanks, do they all do cash? Or some trade only? Only thing which might be a problem if I was to split is that it’s a kit box. Don’t know if that would result in less value.

Yeah. I’m not really. If I did it id obviously want to do it with as little cost as possible. It doesn’t seem worth taking a hit in value for a body with about 500 on the shutter, 30 months Panamoz warranty. Maybe best eBay on £1 listing. £1600.

I got thinking about it because of lens prices, the Z lenses (primes) aren’t really coming down, except the 50. Whereas the Sony 35/85 are pretty reasonable. Then when I originally considered months ago as I wanted the 24-105, for more range than the 24-70.

@Raymond Lin Thanks, do they all do cash? Or some trade only? Only thing which might be a problem if I was to split is that it’s a kit box. Don’t know if that would result in less value.

Those are all cash offers values.

Back