The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

And my Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 has arrived, mint as described. Glad to have it.
Some test shots ......

• Sony ILCE-9 + FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 55.0 mm
  • 1/250
49133692773_e9a9882258_c.jpg

• Sony ILCE-9 + FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 55.0 mm
  • 1/250
49134373112_aa7a4a48f3_c.jpg

Hmmm. My A7 is front focusing. I tried 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's and it's consistant. I don't remember seeing this before but of course I often use mf lenses. MF is of course spot on. Any ideas?

The only thing I should try is turning face detect off to see if that makes a difference.

Hmmm. My A7 is front focusing. I tried 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's and it's consistant. I don't remember seeing this before but of course I often use mf lenses. MF is of course spot on. Any ideas?

The only thing I should try is turning face detect off to see if that makes a difference.
Time to order that Sony A7 III chap ;) hehe
Mind you, looking at my 55mm f1.8 test photos, focus is off too! lol :D

I can't remember anything like this happening before. If it's a problem it's the camera as 3 lenses are doing the same. I can't think what could cause this.

I can't remember anything like this happening before. If it's a problem it's the camera as 3 lenses are doing the same. I can't think what could cause this.
It does sound strange.... and does point towards a camera body issue.... :(

I can't imagine such an issue developing all of a sudden. what AF settings are you using?

I suggest you set it to AF-S with small flexible spot and try it on a flat surface with writing in good light.

It does sound strange.... and does point towards a camera body issue.... :(

I've remembered something. I usually put the camera away without a battery in it and few days ago I got the camera out and it asked for the time and date and region to be set. I assumed that the internal battery must have gone flat so I put a fully charged battery in it and left it a few days and it seemed to hold the settings. I can't imagine what could cause consistent front focusing but I'll wade through the menu or maybe do a factory reset and see what happens.

Calvin (DiamondDec) had front focussing issues with one of his A7’s, think it went back for an exchange in the end.

oh dear... but as focus is taken off the sensor I wonder what could cause this?
AF algorithms are very complex so I guess any bug in the ‘chain of events’ can cause an issue.

I can't imagine such an issue developing all of a sudden. what AF settings are you using?

I suggest you set it to AF-S with small flexible spot and try it on a flat surface with writing in good light.

It's on af-s with medium flex, I think, plus face detect.

I think my first thing to do will be a reset, if I can find the option in the awful Sony menu :D

I do hope it recovers and isn't effectively dead for wide aperture AF use.

PS.
I'm pinning my hopes on a reset curing this as it does seem to have happened since the camera lost the time/date/region or at least I didn't see any problems the last time I used an AF lens before that.

Last edited:
It's on af-s with medium flex, I think, plus face detect.

I think my first thing to do will be a reset, if I can find the option in the awful Sony menu :D

I do hope it recovers and isn't effectively dead for wide aperture AF use.

PS.
I'm pinning my hopes on a reset curing this as it does seem to have happened since the camera lost the time/date/region or at least I didn't see any problems the last time I used an AF lens before that.

lets us know how you get along!
I hope its some bug that fixes itself on the reset.

lets us know how you get along!
I hope its some bug that fixes itself on the reset.

Yes, I hope so too but until I know if the camera is dead or not I'll put off buying that Tokina or Samyang wide lens. I will let everyone know what happens but I may not have chance to fiddle with it tomorrow as Mrs WW has a big exam at her class and the day will revolve around that.

It is all rather strange.

Good Luck Mrs WW! :D

Dang if you aint the only one showing what these Sony itty bitty cameras can do!

All talk and nonsense in here and not enougn images, most of us don't give AF what model [crappy ergo] A-whatever ... just show the images and keep the dicks in yer pants

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's a view :D but maybe you could remember that this is a thread in the Equipment section of the forum and whilst nice pictures are nice and we need them we also need the gear talk because like it or not that's a big part of this too. Anyone who truly doesn't give a flying about the kit and its capabilities can look at the many picture orientated threads where too much gear talk like which lens is better or how many pictures per second a camera can take would be inappropriate.

Dang if you aint the only one showing what these Sony itty bitty cameras can do!

All talk and nonsense in here and not enougn images, most of us don't give AF what model [crappy ergo] A-whatever ... just show the images and keep the dicks in yer pants

looks like you missed the mass over images posted of the past couple of pages (y)

Last edited:
looks like you missed the mass over images posted of the past couple of pages (y)

I didn't, I meant good ones though

Yes, it's a gear thread, but showing what this over priced gear can actually do might actually inspire others to use it too .... instead of spending half the day bitching over manufacturers as if they had shares in them

I didn't, I meant good ones though

Yes, it's a gear thread, but showing what this over priced gear can actually do might actually inspire others to use it too .... instead of spending half the day bitching over manufacturers as if they had shares in them

Like yours?

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Last edited:
Back