The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Omg those images are fab. If canon men’s works that well might try. But I am more tempted get the 200-600
More expensive and heavier though the 200-600mm

Even though I love autumn colours, I have never managed really to shoot any of it of it in landscapes. This is the closest I have got this year

49165900547_290a6550d2_b.jpg

Even though I love autumn colours, I have never managed really to shoot any of it of it in landscapes. This is the closest I have got this year

49165900547_290a6550d2_b.jpg

I like a bit of autumn colour too.. Need to get out further sometime in week or next.

its near enough all gone. Winter now.

Yup still a few round here but a bit muddy.. Just trying to think what lens I need to get next

90mm Macro as I like doing macro when the weather is crap and nothing out there to take.
70-200
200-600

But the last 2 prob wont get used much this year now.. I normally use those when I go family outing to Zoo or Wildlife park and the like

Question Guys...

Is the Sigma 150-500mm f5-f6.3 APO DG OS any good?

Yup still a few round here but a bit muddy.. Just trying to think what lens I need to get next

90mm Macro as I like doing macro when the weather is crap and nothing out there to take.
70-200
200-600

But the last 2 prob wont get used much this year now.. I normally use those when I go family outing to Zoo or Wildlife park and the like

actually with lack of leaves it kinda helps with spotting and shooting wildlife.
Question Guys...

Is the Sigma 150-500mm f5-f6.3 APO DG OS any good?

its ok. nothing spectacular. You kinda get what you pay for in this case.

I know the Sony macro lens is a brilliant lens...

But does anyone know what this lens like

https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd/sigma-70mm-f28-dg-macro-art-lens---sony-e-fit_271965

Does the sony extend or is it all internal

Sony is internal. The sigma I found was slowish focussing (both auto and manual) and didn't like the extending design much. It is focus by wire, so you need the camera turned on to get the lens to extend to 1:1 and it's slow and takes forever to get there lol

Last edited:
Sony is internal. The sigma I found was slowish focussing and didn't like the extending design much.

That my though really was trying to cut cost but as we say prob end up buying twice so prob best going for sony from start..

That my though really was trying to cut cost but as we say prob end up buying twice so prob best going for sony from start..
yep get the sony. does not get any better really if you need a macro lens with AF.

Will sound like @snerkler now.

Question time does the a9 ii or a7riv have a better evf than the a9 also are they as good as the z6.

The evf on the z6 was lovely but I know it doesn’t effect the photo so it not a deciding factor. Glad I’ve got the a9.

Question time does the a9 ii or a7riv have a better evf than the a9 also are they as good as the z6.

The evf on the z6 was lovely but I know it doesn’t effect the photo so it not a deciding factor. Glad I’ve got the a9.

A9ii is the same as A9 and they aren't bad at all.
A7RIV has the new 5.6million dots EVF

The A9 and A9II both have the same evf, it is very similar spec to the evf in the Z6. Surprised you are seeing any sort of difference between your A9 and the Z6 as they are very similar.

The A7RIV has a much better 5.76 million dot OLED evf

Was just about to say this. I’m very surprised the so called flag ship doesn’t have the best EVF tbh. All I can think is that they can’t get the refresh quick enough with all those extra dots?

Nope not saying they bad at all. Was just wondering. So the a7riv prob on par with the z for the evf?

The A9 and A9II both have the same evf, it is very similar spec to the evf in the Z6. Surprised you are seeing any sort of difference between your A9 and the Z6 as they are very similar.

The A7RIV has a much better 5.76 million dot OLED evf
The difference comes in because the resolution drops while bursting but that is not the case on Z6 but at the same time Z6 can't shoot 20fps blackout free.

Nope not saying they bad at all. Was just wondering. So the a7riv prob on par with the z for the evf?

No the Z has a similar 3.1 million evf as the A9 only the Panasonic full frame has the same evf as the A7RIV

Last edited:
A9 is on par with Z6. A7RIV is lot better

Was just about to say this. I’m very surprised the so called flag ship doesn’t have the best EVF tbh. All I can think is that they can’t get the refresh quick enough with all those extra dots?

You are right its the refresh rate. Even on A7RIV if you are bursting and do not want the slideshow effect i.e. you want to see real-time view the resolution drops to same as A9/Z6.

A9 is on par with Z6. A7RIV is lot better

You are right its the refresh rate. Even on A7RIV if you are bursting and do not want the slideshow effect i.e. you want to see real-time view the resolution drops to same as A9/Z6.
Does the A9-2 drop in resolution during burst like the A9?

I just though the evf on the z6 was clearer or maybe better quality. But doesn’t bother me it just cross my minds this morning

I just though the evf on the z6 was clearer or maybe better quality. But doesn’t bother me it just cross my minds this morning

It isn't really. As I said above the EVF in Sony A9 drops in resolution while bursting but Z6 doesn't. That's probably what you are noticing. But Z6 can't really burst at 20FPS blackout free.

But I wouldn't be surprised if just like the sensor they bought the EVF from Sony too. I know Panasonic S1/R and canon G5XII bought their respective EVFs from Sony

Last edited:
Default never touched setting for that but what should it be pls

I personally use the default setting although I change it when using flash.

You should maybe have a look at the settings because something isn't right when you think that the Z6 evf is better when they are virtually identical evf's.

From my brief experience I’d have to agree, although the Sony is still excellent. Im sure I read something that said whilst they have the same resolution the Nikon has better contrast or something. I wouldn’t worry about it tbh, nothing significant imo. It’s not like when I swap from my Z7 to my EM1-II ;)

From my brief experience I’d have to agree, although the Sony is still excellent. Im sure I read something that said whilst they have the same resolution the Nikon has better contrast or something. I wouldn’t worry about it tbh, nothing significant imo. It’s not like when I swap from my Z7 to my EM1-II ;)

its probably the optics in the front of the EVF that makes a difference. Perhaps Nikon has got contrasty optics+coating. Though Sony claims to use the zeiss T* coatings on their EVF optics.
Panasonic was the only one where you notice a difference (and now the A7RIV). otherwise i really cannot tell between nikon, canon and Sony.

Last edited:
its probably the optics in the front of the EVF that makes a difference.
Not sure on that tbh, looks equally good with adapted lenses as it does native (y). There's definitely something different, but it wouldn't make me choose one over the other as it's nit picking really (y)

Not sure on that tbh, looks equally good with adapted lenses as it does native (y). There's definitely something different, but it wouldn't make me choose one over the other as it's nit picking really (y)

I don't mean the lens. I mean the the glass literally on top of the EVF i.e. there is some optics between the EVF and your eye.

I don't mean the lens. I mean the the glass literally on top of the EVF i.e. there is some optics between the EVF and your eye.
Ahh I see what you mean. Possibly yeah, but like I said it wouldn't bother me in the slightest and I'm a picky sod ;)

well I can't actually notice the difference, so I don't worry about it lol.
TBH when I use my EM1-II after using the Z7 I notice the difference but couldn't give a hoots really, it does the job (y)

Back