The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

TBH when I use my EM1-II after using the Z7 I notice the difference but couldn't give a hoots really, it does the job (y)
well that's because E-M1ii uses the older EVF from E-M1 i.e. the 2.36 million dots one. A9 and Z7 uses the 3.7 million dot EVF.

so its limited to 1/8s! WTF!?
I am guessing its something to do with the flash itself.

I don't understand why, it makes it fairly useless in a studio with flash which is one of the obvious applications which is why I'm amazed it never gets mentioned.

well that's because E-M1ii uses the older EVF from E-M1 i.e. the 2.36 million dots one. A9 and Z7 uses the 3.7 million dot EVF.
I know ;) :p My point was that whilst some EVF's might not be as good as others it doesn't make one more usable than the other. Yes it might be nicer to look at with a better EVF but it's amazing how quickly you adapt and forget about it (y)

I don't understand why, it makes it fairly useless in a studio with flash which is one of the obvious applications which is why I'm amazed it never gets mentioned.

Hmmm... I think its flash dependant and possibly the intervals. 1/13s and 1/8s just seem random numbers or amount of time for the flash to recharge.

what exactly do you want to shoot in studio with a flash using pixel shift?

So I'm still toying with ideas, does anyone have any experience or would like to have a genuine educated guess at how the AF performance would compare using the A9/A9-II and adapted Canon lenses (specifically 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM, 85mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8) compared to the Z7/Z6 (or even as a benchmark the D750) and adapted (for the Z's) Nikon F-mount 70-200mm f2.8? Can you use animal eye-AF with adapted Canon glass, and do you get weather sealing using the adapter?

So I'm still toying with ideas, does anyone have any experience or would like to have a genuine educated guess at how the AF performance would compare using the A9/A9-II and adapted Canon lenses (specifically 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM, 85mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8) compared to the Z7/Z6 (or even as a benchmark the D750) and adapted (for the Z's) Nikon F-mount 70-200mm f2.8? Can you use animal eye-AF with adapted Canon glass, and do you get weather sealing using the adapter?

Youre gonna do it, stop delaying.

I know ;) :p My point was that whilst some EVF's might not be as good as others it doesn't make one more usable than the other. Yes it might be nicer to look at with a better EVF but it's amazing how quickly you adapt and forget about it (y)

indeed. the EVF in my LX100ii is still usable. I have been using EVFs since the A57 days which I considered was good enough for most things.

I agree i use a A7R4 and EM1X and iv yet to even think about one been better than the other when in use following a bird the EVF is the last thing im thinking about .
Rob.

I think with adapted glass, you have to remember one thing: Everything works, just not to the level of a native lens. In a slower more planned environment for a shoot/photo then adapted glass can get the shot no problem. In fast paced run and gun shooting it lags behind native lenses performance. I use adapted lenses, and I went in fully expecting some shortcomings but I have glass that gets images I am happy with for much less money so I am happy. If I'd gone in expecting my Canon 200mm f/2.8L to track my running dog accurately at 10fps on my A7 III like a GM 70-200 f/2.8 would then I would have been sorely disappointed.

depends on your use case really. with 50mm and 85mm being as cheap as they are natively, there isn't much point in adapting these IMO.

I used 70-200mm+1.4x adapted via. MC-11 to shoot an airshow using A7RIII. It did a very decent job of tracking planes which in honestly are very predictable and easy to track.
The challenging instances are tracking birds and toddlers for me. For this I wouldn't want to rely on adapter lenses. Though the 50mm f1.8 STM works remarkably well.

No on the weather sealing. No idea about animal eyeAF and tbh its not as good as human eyeAF to really care. I don't use it at all.

Youre gonna do it, stop delaying.
I"m not as convinced as you. I love the Nikon, only reason I've got GAS is because of the new puppy and want to take shed loads of photos of her ;)
I think with adapted glass, you have to remember one thing: Everything works, just not to the level of a native lens. In a slower more planned environment for a shoot/photo then adapted glass can get the shot no problem. In fast paced run and gun shooting it lags behind native lenses performance. I use adapted lenses, and I went in fully expecting some shortcomings but I have glass that gets images I am happy with for much less money so I am happy. If I'd gone in expecting my Canon 200mm f/2.8L to track my running dog accurately at 10fps on my A7 III like a GM 70-200 f/2.8 would then I would have been sorely disappointed.
Thanks. Yeah I know that adapted won't be as good as native, that being said the adapted f-mount lenses on the Z's work extremely well, so much so that the difference is barely noticeable. I"m sure if you tried side by side you might detect something, but using in the real world I'm not seeing any discernible difference.

No clearly this is different, as whilst the mounts are different the manufacturer is the same. As above, the only reason for this insane GAS is to take photos of my puppy running around, and as you'll know trying to keep a single AF point on the head of a puppy as they're running around, darting left and right etc is extremely difficult. However, what I wouldn't want to do is swap over and find that animal eye-af doesn't work very due to using adapted glass. TBH I'm not even 100% sure using native glass on the A9 would get the shot, those puppies move faaaaaassssst ;)

Ive found Animal Eye AF works brilliant here works on both of our dogs perfectly and it also works on the bloody cat that comes into the garden to dig a bloody hole to do a s***....... Bleeding thing lol.

Anyway I just spoken to someone on FB messenger who has a A9 and adapted lens he said they work very well indeed and with the blackout free on the A9 it makes it much easier to use..

depends on your use case really. with 50mm and 85mm being as cheap as they are natively, there isn't much point in adapting these IMO.

I used 70-200mm+1.4x adapted via. MC-11 to shoot an airshow using A7RIII. It did a very decent job of tracking planes which in honestly are very predictable and easy to track.
The challenging instances are tracking birds and toddlers for me. For this I wouldn't want to rely on adapter lenses. Though the 50mm f1.8 STM works remarkably well.

No on the weather sealing. No idea about animal eyeAF and tbh its not as good as human eyeAF to really care. I don't use it at all.
That's ruled that idea out then ;) Thanks for the info. With regards to the animal eye-af I was watching videos last night and it appeared to work really well, is it not that great then?

I"m not as convinced as you. I love the Nikon, only reason I've got GAS is because of the new puppy and want to take shed loads of photos of her ;)

Thanks. Yeah I know that adapted won't be as good as native, that being said the adapted f-mount lenses on the Z's work extremely well, so much so that the difference is barely noticeable. I"m sure if you tried side by side you might detect something, but using in the real world I'm not seeing any discernible difference.

No clearly this is different, as whilst the mounts are different the manufacturer is the same. As above, the only reason for this insane GAS is to take photos of my puppy running around, and as you'll know trying to keep a single AF point on the head of a puppy as they're running around, darting left and right etc is extremely difficult. However, what I wouldn't want to do is swap over and find that animal eye-af doesn't work very due to using adapted glass. TBH I'm not even 100% sure using native glass on the A9 would get the shot, those puppies move faaaaaassssst ;)

A9 will nail it you know it...

Folks put your hand up if you think the A9 will nail it

That's ruled that idea out then ;) Thanks for the info. With regards to the animal eye-af I was watching videos last night and it appeared to work really well, is it not that great then?

Animal AF works perfectly well for me it lock on right away.... that with native lens thou so cant comment on Adapted

you do realise there are more animals than dog and cat :D

Its first gen and work as well as any first gen tracking did/does. Give it an other generation or two of improvements as I will probably be on the level of current human eyeAF

also animal eyeAF is not available in all the tracking AF modes.

you do realise there are more animals than dog and cat :D

Its first gen and work as well as any first gen tracking did/does. Give it an other generation or two of improvements as I will probably be on the level of current human eyeAF

also animal eyeAF is not available in all the tracking AF modes.

Animal eye AF been available on the mode i want.. Which one is it not available on as i not come across this yet

Had a quick play with the 135mm 1.8 GM earlier what a lovely lens it is...

Didn't realise they have aperture ring on them.. How does that work with camera didn't notice when i tried it earlier

Didn't realise they have aperture ring on them.. How does that work with camera didn't notice when i tried it earlier

It works like any aperture ring. You turn it and it changes the aperture or you leave it on A and control aperture from the camera.

It works like any aperture ring. You turn it and it changes the aperture or you leave it on A and control aperture from the camera.

So if i was to use it on the lens let say set it o 8 on the lens does it disable the on camera function or that just change the in camera settings

So if i was to use it on the lens let say set it o 8 on the lens does it disable the on camera function or that just change the in camera settings

If you move the aperture ring it overides the aperture you have set in camera.

assume these only on prime lens

No aperture ring on 70-200 or the Macro

CysmS19.jpg

peY0VGJ.jpg

it works in wide focus area but not in tracking: wide focus area setting.

Does on mine that what I use the bottom option on the focus list i have it set to wide

Hmmm... I think its flash dependant and possibly the intervals. 1/13s and 1/8s just seem random numbers or amount of time for the flash to recharge.

Shouldn't really be relevant to any decent flash system though.

what exactly do you want to shoot in studio with a flash using pixel shift?

Why wouldn't you? Sharper images, better colour, supposed to get rid of moire etc. I've only tested for five minutes thanks to the shutter speed limitation but it seemed like a bigger improvement than you'd see from upgrading a good to great lens.

Does on mine that what I use the bottom option on the focus list i have it set to wide
Definitely not available on A7RIV. I am surprised it's available on A9. Unless I am missing a FW update or something I thought they were the same.

Definitely not available on A7RIV. I am surprised it's available on A9. Unless I am missing a FW update or something I thought they were the same.

IMG_0173.JPG

Is that what you referring to??

If so then yes animal eye AF deffo works in that as that why i use when dogs running

Last edited:
Back