The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Lol, I’m not trying to ruffle any feathers just genuinely interested. I’ve half toyed with the idea of doing it as a ‘supplementary’ income in the past, but decided against it due to the thought of dealing with bridezillas, and my own confidence.

My choice of gear would have been 2x D750’s, a 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 plus two off camera speedlights.

A lot of people say they use a 35 & 85 very few of them actually do though. 35 isn’t wide enough for quite a lot of things during a wedding day. While a lot use a 35 /85 most will have a wider lens stashed somewhere for when they need it.

A lot of people say they use a 35 & 85 very few of them actually do though. 35 isn’t wide enough for quite a lot of things during a wedding day. While a lot use a 35 /85 most will have a wider lens stashed somewhere for when they need it.

35/85 perfect

35/85 perfect

It’s been a popular trend to use these for weddings for a good long while although has started to shift now to wider lenses so that more of the scene/story can be shown.

Quite a few of the ultra trendy Sony wedding guys are mainly using an 18 and a 24 or 25.
Stems from those being popular with the video guys and looking for a more cinematic POV. 85 has become less popular being regarded as too long for this style. These guys don’t really shoot “normal portraits” though. They tend to only use longer lenses for Brenizers.

I have been alternating between a 24/55 or 35/85 depending on the venue. Next season I am gonna try switching to 24/55/135 to mix it up a bit.

Last edited:
It’s been a popular trend to use these for weddings for a good long while although has started to shift now to wider lenses so that more of the scene/story can be shown.

Quite a few of the ultra trendy Sony wedding guys are mainly using an 18 and a 24 or 25.
Stems from those being popular with the video guys and looking for a more cinematic POV. 85 has become less popular being regarded as too long for this style. These guys don’t really shoot “normal portraits” though. They tend to only use longer lenses for Brenizers.

Interesting as I've been saying for months that I think I need to have a good 24. I think 24/85 would be a nice setup for me.

Interesting as I've been saying for months that I think I need to have a good 24. I think 24/85 would be a nice setup for me.

Not sure if a 24/85 would work for me. When you use a 24 a lot 85 just seems way too long when you are switching between the two. 24/55 works great though.

I would like to try a 24/40 but the Sigma 40 is huge and the Zeiss has focus issues.

Last edited:
Not sure if a 24/85 would work for me. When you use a 24 a lot 85 just seems way too long when you are switching between the two. 24/55 works great though.

I would like to try a 24/40 but the Sigma 40 is huge and the Zeiss has focus issues.

I'll probably pick up a GM in the new year and force myself to use it.

What L plate are people using

On a side note while we might have butted heads more than a few times on various things, I have no issue with you at all. As with this, there is also plenty of times I agree with what you have said.

same here and its all water under the bridge :)
TBH I appreciate you are coming from a weddings or what works professionally perspective. I very often come from hobbyist or techno-geek perspective. So of course it doesn't match sometimes but I am sure its all done without hard feelings.

5k is not an investment its firing a few quid at half assed attempt at running a photography business.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

As you read something, it must be right - just like everything you've read somewhere. Facebook seems to be the oracle of all knowledge.

I highly doubt many photographers have invested £30k into their wedding businesses to start up.

I'll build my business slowly, as I please. If it works, great.

I kinda have to agree with the above. Tbh I have spent about £8K on my current set of gear and I don't even care to do it professionally. I am not trying to show off but I think debating £500-1000 over £5K is perhaps not the best way to look at it even if you want to take it at a slow pace.

Also taking it as slowly as you please may not be the best way either. if any thing you will want to build on your momentum and capitalise on it. If take it slow per say and your bookings are far and apart people forget you exist.

Last edited:
I kinda have to agree with the above. Tbh I have spent about £8K on my current set of gear and I don't even care to do it professionally. I am not trying to show off but I think debating £500-1000 over £5K is perhaps not the best way to look at it even if you want to take it at a slow pace.

Also taking it as slowly as you please may not be the best way either. if any thing you will want to build on your momentum and capitalise on it. If take it slow per say and your bookings are far and apart people forget you exist.

Feel free to agree with it, I’m not fussed. The value of money to one person is much different to someone else, evidently. Look at my salary as a teacher and then you’ll know why I value money.

Either way I’m not going to be lectured by some know it all keyboard warrior so he’s gone on ignore now as I’m bored of reading the constant belittling of everyone on the forum.

But I’ll run my business as I please and if it works then good, if not then I’ll have given it a go.

Feel free to agree with it, I’m not fussed. The value of money to one person is much different to someone else, evidently. Look at my salary as a teacher and then you’ll know why I value money.

Either way I’m not going to be lectured by some know it all keyboard warrior so he’s gone on ignore now as I’m bored of reading the constant belittling of everyone on the forum.

But I’ll run my business as I please and if it works then good, if not then I’ll have given it a go.

Yeah I think it’s best that we both put each other on ignore.

Teachers are fairly well paid for what they provide and the majority of wedding photographers don’t make as much as teachers after all costs have been paid. So your points makes no sense really.

I don't think doing it part time is a reason for taking risks either. Raymond for example on here only shoots weddings part time and doesn’t shoot a huge amount of them, yet still has the right equipment and set up to do a professional job.

Last edited:

of course you can run your business as you please. Just dropping a few suggestions from my couch :D

No idea about teacher salaries and I get the idea from talking to various people that they vary rather widely depending on various things. So better not to judge lol.
Definitely know teachers that earn more than I do.

of course you can run your business as you please. Just dropping a few suggestions from my couch :D

No idea about teacher salaries and I get the idea from talking to various people that they vary rather widely depending on various things. So better not to judge lol.
Definitely know teachers that earn more than I do.

To be honest as it happens I am almost certainly keeping the RIII now, as I just think it'll make like easier all round. And it was not a bad price, £1350 with 8k on the shutter and just a couple of tiny marks on the bottom. Only annoying thing is no box and it didn't come with the charger (but I probably wouldn't use that anyway as it's for a single battery).

Standard teacher salaries are available on the internet, we generally all follow a pay scale. But yeah, they can vary for example if you have a leadership responsibility, or head of department for example could get an additional £12k or so, senior leaders etc.

It's not the worst paid job in the world, but I'd have been on more if I had stayed working in commercial management.

To be honest as it happens I am almost certainly keeping the RIII now, as I just think it'll make like easier all round. And it was not a bad price, £1350 with 8k on the shutter and just a couple of tiny marks on the bottom. Only annoying thing is no box and it didn't come with the charger (but I probably wouldn't use that anyway as it's for a single battery).

Standard teacher salaries are available on the internet, we generally all follow a pay scale. But yeah, they can vary for example if you have a leadership responsibility, or head of department for example could get an additional £12k or so, senior leaders etc.

It's not the worst paid job in the world, but I'd have been on more if I had stayed working in commercial management.

As I said MPB had offered me £1390 (ok my thing had all the bits and may be in a slightly better condition). But even still £1350 is still a bargain price. Now try buying the same thing at MPB and you'll pay a lot more.

I guess its time to become head of your department and a senior leader :D
out of interest what do you teach btw?

Last edited:
As I said MPB had offered me £1390 (ok my thing had all the bits and may be in a slightly better condition). But even still £1350 is still a bargain price. Now try buying the same thing at MPB and you'll pay a lot more.

I guess its time to become head of your department and a senior leader :D
out of interest what do you teach btw?

Yeah true. It'd be £1699 on MPB looking at what they have.

I have held off becoming HOD to be honest as I'd have even less time to focus on photography.

Funnily enough a mixture of computer science, business and economics.

Yeah true. It'd be £1699 on MPB looking at what they have.

I have held off becoming HOD to be honest as I'd have even less time to focus on photography.

Funnily enough a mixture of computer science, business and economics.

only one of those is not needed, care to guess which one?
I'll give you a hint, its not CS or economics. :D

Sorry use that joke to wind up a friend who teaches business lol.

I thought these days they rotated the HoDs around so everyone got a chance or rather I guess in your case you'll eventually have to take one for the team!

A good ol'Kingfisher shot never disappoints :D

49189542758_639acfa5da_b.jpg

only one of those is not needed, care to guess which one?
I'll give you a hint, its not CS or economics. :D

Sorry use that joke to wind up a friend who teaches business lol.

I thought these days they rotated the HoDs around so everyone got a chance or rather I guess in your case you'll eventually have to take one for the team!

Haha, I did wonder what would come of that.

Nope, HOD is very much a middle management position so that's the post of my manager until he leaves or gets promoted. They wouldn't rotate it, not everyone wants it and not everyone is capable of doing the role.

If you paid £1350 for the A7RII was there a reason you chose this over a used/grey A7III?

Wow. Just... wow.

Meanwhile, as I struggle with that nugget of wisdom, I'm also wondering whether there's a good A-mount AF 70-200 (or similar) zoom to use with the LA-EA3/4?
Minolta 70-210mm f4
You get AF only with EA4

If you already have the EA4, you are welcome to have my Minolta AF 100-200mm f4.5 with fungus and heavy scratch on front element at cost of postage :D
Still used to work and had decent IQ.
I just noticed you are in Cambridge you are welcome to pick it up from my office too

Last edited:
Wow. Just... wow.

Meanwhile, as I struggle with that nugget of wisdom, I'm also wondering whether there's a good A-mount AF 70-200 (or similar) zoom to use with the LA-EA3/4?

My ex girlfriend was a teacher.

I have several friends that are teachers and a good friend who is a headmaster. Even he agrees with the old saying. “Those that can’t do, teach.”

I know what they get paid and how much “work” they actually do.

My wife is also on the board of governors at my eldest’s school.

They are overpaid in my opinion.

Last edited:
Minolta 70-210mm f4
You get AF only with EA4

If you already have the EA4, you are welcome to have my Minolta AF 100-200mm f4.5 with fungus and heavy scratch on front element at cost of postage :D
Still used to work and had decent IQ.
I just noticed you are in Cambridge you are welcome to pick it up from my office too

Thanks for that kind offer - I suppose Minolta was the obvious choice. Is it highly regarded for its optics, or should I also think of a Canon EF (+Metabones, I think?) I don't (yet) have the EA3/4 - I get a bit confuddled! The EA4 'costs' a stop, I think? The EA3 only works properly with Sony SAM lenses?

For faster primes, I am collecting old Minolta MC lenses for all-manual operation.

My ex girlfriend was a teacher.

I have several friends that are teachers and a good friend who is a headmaster. Even he agrees with the old saying. “Those that can’t do, teach.”

I know what they get paid and how much “work” they actually do.

My wife is also on the board of governors at my eldest’s school.

They are overpaid in my opinion.

Now, I know you're lying. It's a lazy trope for lazy people.

Still, if nothing else, your honesty lets me see how much value I should place on your opinions. Thanks.

Thanks for that kind offer - I suppose Minolta was the obvious choice. Is it highly regarded for its optics, or should I also think of a Canon EF (+Metabones, I think?) I don't (yet) have the EA3/4 - I get a bit confuddled! The EA4 'costs' a stop, I think? The EA3 only works properly with Sony SAM lenses?

For faster primes, I am collecting old Minolta MC lenses for all-manual operation.

Nice. I have a box full of film era Minolta primes but mostly MD's.

Still, if nothing else, your honesty lets me see how much value I should place on your opinions. Thanks.

We've had our... er… exciting moments in this thread lately and far too much moderator intervention than adults should require so maybe it's best to stay away from personal insults and slagging and see if we can be good little boys and girls without needing the mods to come in, clean up and tell us to behave?

On the money thing... Ladies and Gentlemen perhaps shouldn't discuss it :D

Last edited:

One thing I am not is a liar.

Feel free to put me on ignore I will do the same rather than have to read any more of your childish personal attacks.

Last edited:
The rumor site reports that Amazon Europe has 12 days of holiday deals with up to 40% off Sony gear.

I don't know if anything interesting is going for a good deal but it might be worth a look.

A6000 is £359. That looks ok?

Talking of sales...

http://www.peterturnley.com/

http://www.davidturnley.com/

I wish he hadn't cut the top of the tower off in that dancing shot.

Last edited:
The rumor site reports that Amazon Europe has 12 days of holiday deals with up to 40% off Sony gear.

I don't know if anything interesting is going for a good deal but it might be worth a look.

A6000 is £359. That looks ok?

It is pretty much the same offers that there was for Black Friday on Amazon.

28 f/2
24-70 f/4
55-210
16-70
RX100 etc

They have been popping up on deal of the day every day or two since Black Friday. They must have shifted a lot less units than they expected too on B.F.

Back