The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks for that kind offer - I suppose Minolta was the obvious choice. Is it highly regarded for its optics, or should I also think of a Canon EF (+Metabones, I think?) I don't (yet) have the EA3/4 - I get a bit confuddled! The EA4 'costs' a stop, I think? The EA3 only works properly with Sony SAM lenses?

For faster primes, I am collecting old Minolta MC lenses for all-manual operation.

EA4 you lose about 1/3rd stop of light. Its no biggie.

which adapter or mount you choose to adapt will depend on what you are after for budget and focal length wise. But canon EF is a good option on the whole as in future you will be able to adapt those lenses on EOS R for example if you decide to change brands.
But a-mount glass will of course have greatest reliability since its supported officially by Sony.

If you are interested in MF fast lenses, I will one day get around to posting a porst 50mm f1.2 lol :D

Last edited:
The 28mm f2 takes a bashing but I quite like the idea.

Hmmm, down from £349 to £348.94, that's a great a deal... It's still an eye watering £349 at Wex.

Hmmm, down from £349 to £348.94, that's a great a deal... It's still an eye watering £349 at Wex.
:ROFLMAO:

In the new year for next season I am going to get the new Sigma 24-70/2.8 and upgrade my Zeiss 35 to the 1.2.

Just because I want to.

I am hoping to see a sigma 85mm f1.2 also next year. Hopefully for the same price as the 85GM.

When it goes live on the U.K Amazon site again (probably in a day or two) as the deal of the day it will be £285

It has been on there at £285 on black friday and two other days since then as deal of the day.

In the new year for next season I am going to get the new Sigma 24-70/2.8 and upgrade my Zeiss 35 to the 1.2.

Just because I want to.

There is supposed to be a new GM lens announced in Feb kind of hoping it will be a 35 but the rumour site said it would be something wide so that probably mean's wider than 24.

Imagine the size :eek:

well they did make the sigma 24-70mm/2.8 smaller. Beside the 85GM isn't exactly pocketable, so size isn't a massive consideration at this point as long as it doesn't end being size of 70-200/2.8 or something lol

well they did make the sigma 24-70mm/2.8 smaller. Beside the 85GM isn't exactly pocketable, so size isn't a massive consideration at this point as long as it doesn't end being size of 70-200/2.8 or something lol

If you compare the size difference of the Zeiss 35 f/1.4 or the Sigma 35 f/1.4 to the Siggy f/1.2 a Sigma 85 f/1.2 could almost be the size of a 70-200. Would probably be about the size of the 135 anyway.

Last edited:
If you compare the size difference of the Zeiss 35 f/1.4 or the Sigma 35 f/1.4 to the Siggy f/1.2 a Sigma 85 f/1.2 could almost be the size of a 70-200. Would probably be about the size of the 135 anyway.

I am hoping its the same size as the canon RF 85mm f1.2. But we'll see...

Nice. I have a box full of film era Minolta primes but mostly MD's.

I started to look after finding Philip Reeve's site, but am always interested in finding out more. I know that you mentioned some specific lenses when I first joined here.

I always thought the 28mm f2 was a great lens. I was looking through my Sony taken photos only yesterday and realised it had been used for a lot of my decent holiday snaps in Thasos.

There is supposed to be a new GM lens announced in Feb kind of hoping it will be a 35 but the rumour site said it would be something wide so that probably mean's wider than 24.

This new GM lens. If it's a 35mm GM, it will be more than £1500, if it's wider than 24mm, then I won't use it that much. It won't concern me I wouldn't think.

True, but I was thinking about the size of the sigma art 85mm f1.4, that's already a beefy lens (y)

True, but I was thinking about the size of the sigma art 85mm f1.4, that's already a beefy lens (y)

ART85/1.4 is huge and more so mirrorless because of the adapter. A mirrorless designed lens won't need the adapter bit and if manage to keep the size to the same as ART 85/1.4 without adapter that's something I could live with.

This new GM lens. If it's a 35mm GM, it will be more than £1500, if it's wider than 24mm, then I won't use it that much. It won't concern me I wouldn't think.

24mm launched at what £1400 so yeah probably in and around that for a 35GM.

Isn’t the Sigma f/1.2 about that money too?

I would rather have a 35 GM f/1.4 especially if they can get it down to similar size as the 24 than the Siggy, not that’s it’s not a good lens.

Wow. Just... wow.

Meanwhile, as I struggle with that nugget of wisdom, I'm also wondering whether there's a good A-mount AF 70-200 (or similar) zoom to use with the LA-EA3/4?
The 70-200 f4 (called the beer can) is the one, but prices vary a lot, and it should be around£50-£60 rather than £100+ as some now charge. I have one, bought in the 80s, and it's good.

ART85/1.4 is huge and more so mirrorless because of the adapter. A mirrorless designed lens won't need the adapter bit and if manage to keep the size to the same as ART 85/1.4 without adapter that's something I could live with.

The 35 f/1.2 is a mirrorless lens yet still has the “adaptor” although slightly smaller so does the 24-70 because of the thick lens barrel and then making them for L Mount. Wouldn’t have thought an 85/1.2 would be any different.

The 35 f/1.2 is a mirrorless lens yet still has the “adaptor” although slightly smaller so does the 24-70 because of the thick lens barrel and then making them for L Mount. Wouldn’t have thought an 85/1.2 would be any different.
perhaps not but one can hope. No need to destroy my dreams, next you will be telling me Santa isn't real :D

You can just order from Amazon France and pay ~£285
https://www.amazon.fr/Sony-28-2-0-SEL28F20-Objectifs/dp/B00UJRSO52

When it goes live on the U.K Amazon site again (probably in a day or two) as the deal of the day it will be £285

It has been on there at £285 on black friday and two other days since then as deal of the day.

As above Amazon just moves around the same deal in various EU locations. Available now from France :D

Last edited:
24mm launched at what £1400 so yeah probably in and around that for a 35GM.

Isn’t the Sigma f/1.2 about that money too?

I would rather have a 35 GM f/1.4 especially if they can get it down to similar size as the 24 than the Siggy, not that’s it’s not a good lens.

I would be upgrading for the 1.2, not for the GM badge or quality really. Accepted the size difference so that's fine.

Wow. Just... wow.

Meanwhile, as I struggle with that nugget of wisdom, I'm also wondering whether there's a good A-mount AF 70-200 (or similar) zoom to use with the LA-EA3/4?

The Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 USD is good - with the decline of A-Mount you may find one fairly cheaply second hand, and should work well with the lea3.
The Sony 70-200 f/2.8 SSM is better, but will be more expensive.

Sony a-mount 70-200mm f2.8 is the worst lens of its kind. Its rubbish at 200mm f2.8.

I always thought the 28mm f2 was a great lens. I was looking through my Sony taken photos only yesterday and realised it had been used for a lot of my decent holiday snaps in Thasos.

Any lens that attracts a lot of grumbles and divides opinion is maybe worth a look at :D

Any lens that attracts a lot of grumbles and divides opinion is maybe worth a look at :D

True - I quite like the fifty 1.8 lol!

I need some screen protectors for the A9 - what ones are people using? The ones I have been using on the A73 have started to peel in the corners!

I am hoping to see a sigma 85mm f1.2 also next year. Hopefully for the same price as the 85GM.
I stil cherish my Canon Fd 85 1.2, its a stellar lens and my mf lenses are the reason I went for the A7 in the first place.
It really is that good.

True - I quite like the fifty 1.8 lol!

I need some screen protectors for the A9 - what ones are people using? The ones I have been using on the A73 have started to peel in the corners!

I've always used those cheap flexi plastic ones but they only seem to last 6 months to a year so last time I bought a glass one for my A7, it cost £7 odd from Amazon.

Back