The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Happy new year everyone.

I wonder if they might offer a pixel shift high Res. option on the A7IV. Probably not having the R series, but an interesting idea.

The new grip is a given really as it is cheaper for them to use the same body style for all the new models. I don't find the new one to be that much different than the old one though, but I never had any issues with handling.

My guess would be the new grip, the evf from the A7RIII, real time tracking, ability to change the colour of the focus point and maybe dual UHSII card slots. Incremental upgrades like the other newer camera's rather then anything really new and exciting.

For anyone with an A7III they are probably better holding off for an A7V for a real upgrade.
Would be a great camera for a ‘first time buyer’ though. Any chance blackout shooting will filter down to the 7 series or will this be left exclusively for the 9’s?

Would be a great camera for a ‘first time buyer’ though. Any chance blackout shooting will filter down to the 7 series or will this be left exclusively for the 9’s?

A9s only. There is no way they will fit such an expensive sensor and processing to the base model or theres no point in having the A9/II around.

oh er... Happy New Year to everyone from a sunny and pale blue winters sky here!

A9s only. There is no way they will fit such an expensive sensor and processing to the base model or theres no point in having the A9/II around.

I think new APS-C bodies would be good. A RF style body with two conventional near top of the camera control dials (rather than one and the spinning back dial) or at least one clickable dual function one like the Panasonic G1 and a mini DSLR style one would give more choice too and while they're at it fill in the gaps in the APS-C lens line up.

Yeah I agree with @twist I don't see that happening any time soon.

Maybe when they have something else to improve the A9 series they will let that sensor filter down. It is the only sensor they won't even sell to anyone else so is being protected at the moment, can't see that changing anytime soon.

Voigtlander 50mm f2 review...

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-voigtlander-50mm-f2-apo-lanthar/#more-21760

Sorry, I've just remembered that this was posted yesterday by Goldtop.

"The Voigtlander 50mm F2 APO-Lanthar is among the optically most perfect lenses on the market right now. Not only does it show excellent sharpness and contrast across the frame from f/2, it also lives up to the APO-label and corrects CA to a degree where it is a no issue even in demanding images. Bokeh is well above average for a 50mm lens. Distortion is another non issue and flare resistance among the best in class. Other lenses have a little smoother bokeh but most of the time the 2/50 APO’s bokeh is unobtrusive. The only thing that is average about the APO-Lanthar is its vignetting which is a small price to pay for this level of performance and compact size.

But the Voigtlander 2/50 APO doesn’t only deliver an impressive optical performance, it also is one of the most pleasant to handle lenses I have ever used thanks to a relatively small size, well thought out design and excellent mechanics. I only wished Cosina had also added weather sealing since Sony camera’s have improved a lot in this regard and any other lens in its price class offers it.

The designers of the Voigtlander 50mm F2 APO-Lanthar are right to be proud of it. It currently sets the standard both for optical performance as well as for handling. For such a high performing lens the price is very reasonable but of course still high for a 2/50 lens."

Impressive but possibly also irrelevant to most people and uses.

Last edited:
For birding i find the a9II ( a camera i was waiting for ) lacking in the MPs 40mps would be about right for me .
Rob.

I think new APS-C bodies would be good. A RF style body with two conventional near top of the camera control dials (rather than one and the spinning back dial) or at least one clickable dual function one like the Panasonic G1 and a mini DSLR style one would give more choice too and while they're at it fill in the gaps in the APS-C lens line up.

I agree. I'm just switching over to the A6500 (from A7ii) and the loss of dials is the major bugbear. Moreso than the smaller sensor. But I've got to compromise somewhere if I want the smaller form factor.

I expected the A6600 to get front and rear dials (a la A7) on its slightly larger battery compartment/grip. This would have given it a bigger bump over the A6400, but Sony sees it differently.

For birding i find the a9II ( a camera i was waiting for ) lacking in the MPs 40mps would be about right for me .
Rob.

It'll be a while before you'll find a camera with A9 capabilities at a higher MP count. A9II is already the highest MP sports body.

It'll be a while before you'll find a camera with A9 capabilities at a higher MP count. A9II is already the highest MP sports body.
Indeed so but i'm ok to wait for a a9mkIII I quit happy with my a7r4 I bought it with the intention of getting the a9II but i was going on the rumored 36mb that never happened I always seem to be waiting for something lol

Anyone know which of the smaller bodies had Auto ISO not limited to 1/60th?

No idea, sorry, but I solve the 1/60 problem by switching to manual, dialing in a sensible shutter speed and aperture and letting the ISO float. It may not be a perfect way of getting around this but it works for me.

I agree. I'm just switching over to the A6500 (from A7ii) and the loss of dials is the major bugbear. Moreso than the smaller sensor. But I've got to compromise somewhere if I want the smaller form factor.

I expected the A6600 to get front and rear dials (a la A7) on its slightly larger battery compartment/grip. This would have given it a bigger bump over the A6400, but Sony sees it differently.

There are a few things that stop me going for an A6xxx... the control layout, I much prefer my MFT bodies with their control dials, not having a nice compact 24mm f1.8 and lastly I suppose the increased bulk and cost over MFT with both longer and wider lenses.

Having an A6xxx would make more sense for me than having both Sony A7 and MFT though.

Indeed so but i'm ok to wait for a a9mkIII I quit happy with my a7r4 I bought it with the intention of getting the a9II but i was going on the rumored 36mb that never happened I always seem to be waiting for something lol

I am hoping we'll see a higher Res A9 in the next iteration. As much as I like my A7RIV I'd prefer a blackout free A9 model with 40-ish MP myself.

No idea, sorry, but I solve the 1/60 problem by switching to manual, dialing in a sensible shutter speed and aperture and letting the ISO float. It may not be a perfect way of getting around this but it works for me.

that may work, I can’t remember if I tried this when I had a a6000

I am hoping we'll see a higher Res A9 in the next iteration. As much as I like my A7RIV I'd prefer a blackout free A9 model with 40-ish MP myself.
Only if Sony sorted out lossless compression, can you imagine 90mb ish files shooting at 20fps, you’d need dozens of memory cards :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Only if Sony sorted out lossless compression, can you imagine 90mb ish files shooting at 20fps, you’d need dozens of memory cards :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Sony's compression is just fine. Been using it for the last 6 years. Even with the compression the Sony files have better performance than canon files, yet people happily use canon.
I don't really need to push files especially action ones beyond 3-4 stops and compression artefacts don't really show till 4.5-5 stops. It's really a non-issue.

I situations where I really need to push the limits of the sensors dynamic range which is mostly in landscape type situations I shoot uncompressed for one or two shots in a thousand.

Last edited:
Sony's compression is just fine. Been using it for the last 6 years. Even with the compression the Sony files have better performance than canon files, yet people happily use canon.
I don't really need to push files beyond 3-4 stops and compression artefacts don't really show till 4.5-5 stops. It's really a non-issue.
I think I’d have to use compressed too if I shot Sony. Still, shame they’ve not developed lossless yet, seems a no brainer to me. Sony are the cutting edge tech wise and if Nikon can do it I’m sure Sony can, do it just appears they don’t want to for some reason.

There are a few things that stop me going for an A6xxx... the control layout, I much prefer my MFT bodies with their control dials, not having a nice compact 24mm f1.8 and lastly I suppose the increased bulk and cost over MFT with both longer and wider lenses.

Having an A6xxx would make more sense for me than having both Sony A7 and MFT though.

I hear you. I have (not for much longer) the E-M1 and had an E-M10, too. I love the way Olympus made them so usable, but it's slowly dawned on me that the faux-prism housing adds significant bulk to the shape, and the top-left corner EVF of the A6000 series gives a shape that just suits me better.

(I plan to keep the A7ii at work for static product shots, but I wonder if I might decide I don't need it's FF IQ after a while?)

I think I’d have to use compressed too if I shot Sony. Still, shame they’ve not developed lossless yet, seems a no brainer to me. Sony are the cutting edge tech wise and if Nikon can do it I’m sure Sony can, do it just appears they don’t want to for some reason.

The most annoying thing is that they had the lossless compression implemented in their old DLSRs like A900. So they already have it developed too, just need to update it for the latest bodies which shouldn't be too hard.

I do agree that they should provide lossless compression. But it's more of a nice to have than a need. I wish they'd make a nicer touchscreen implementation and focus stacking first

Last edited:

Why would you have to use compressed?

I don't really need to push files especially action ones beyond 3-4 stops and compression artefacts don't really show till 4.5-5 stops. It's really a non-issue.

I situations where I really need to push the limits of the sensors dynamic range which is mostly in landscape type situations I shoot uncompressed for one or two shots in a thousand.

What's this? Sensible talk on a forum?

:D

I hear you. I have (not for much longer) the E-M1 and had an E-M10, too. I love the way Olympus made them so usable, but it's slowly dawned on me that the faux-prism housing adds significant bulk to the shape, and the top-left corner EVF of the A6000 series gives a shape that just suits me better.

(I plan to keep the A7ii at work for static product shots, but I wonder if I might decide I don't need it's FF IQ after a while?)

Two things keep me with my A7, my old film era lenses and unfortunately not being able to stop myself liking the files and looking closely. For anyone sensible and not being amongst the very small number of people who need the very best to make a living APS-C and MFT are good options.

Why is filesize an issue? Storage is dirt cheap and you have a decent mac?
It already takes forever to write compressed RAWs and I use the fastest UHS-II SanDisk cards.
uncompressed will take twice as long.

And fast cards aren't dirt cheap either.

It already takes forever to write compressed RAWs and I use the fastest UHS-II SanDisk cards.
uncompressed will take twice as long.

And fast cards aren't dirt cheap either.

Neither is buying an A7rIV, but you dont buy a ferrari then moan about the price of running/servicing it, UHSII 128GB Lexar is under £120, how many do you need for a day?

Last edited:
Neither is buying an A7rIV, but you dont buy a ferrari then moan about the price of running/servicing it, UHSII 128GB Lexar is under £120, how many do you need for a day?

It's not a Ferrari I'd never buy one.

You claimed it was dirt cheap and it's not.
It'd be a cheaper solution for the customers to have lossless compression.

And even with the fastest cards the write will be slow with uncompressed RAW.

Last edited:
It's not a Ferrari I'd never buy one.

You claimed it was dirt cheap and it's not.
It'd be a cheaper solution for the customers to have lossless compression.

Of course it is, youre buying cameras worth thousands of pounds, £100 is nothing IF you need a fast card. Then shoot uncompressed. Lossless would be good, but I dont see it as the end of the world.

Last edited:
Of course it is, youre buying cameras worth thousands of pounds, £100 is nothing IF you need a fast card. Then shoot uncompressed. Lossless would be good, but I dont see it as the end of the world.

It's not nothing for me, may be it is for you.
Suddenly went from £120 to £100. Did it reduce in price that quickly or is £20 nothing for you?

Need a minimum of two for shooting with both card slots. Also these cards could die so it's prudent to have an extra available. So for 3 I'd need to spend £360.

I see it more as renting. I spent £600 on my A7Riii for 18 months. So about £35 rent per month. Not a bad price ;)

Last edited:
It's not nothing for me, may be it is for you.
Suddenly went from £120 to £100. Did it reduce in price that quickly or is £20 nothing for you?

Need a minimum of two for shooting with both card slots. Also these cards could die so it's prudent to have an extra available. So for 3 I'd need to spend £360.

I see it more as renting. I spent £600 on my A7Riii for 18 months. So about £35 rent per month. Not a bad price ;)

Yes, 100/120 or even double to use a 2500 pound camera more effectively is nothing. So see your cards as renting because they will likely outlast your camera changing and the associated losses.

Last edited:

You are making an assumption here that the processing time to compress the RAW files will be less than the time saved by writing a smaller file.
If the additional data processing for lossless compression caused the camera to drop from 20fps to 19 or 18 fps (as if they added lossless, it would have to be included on the A9 / A9ii), Sony would be unlikely to do it - as 20fps is a headline figure, time to empty the buffer after a burst and card space usage are much less important, marketing wise.

Back