The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Tried it out in store already, as I said difficult to assess it really as all modern cameras have blazingly fast AF when shooting pretty static things. Testing AF acquisition and accuracy on fast moving subjects is far more difficult to assess in store. I'm not prepared to pay £100 or so just to try a camera out at this stage.

A good camera store will allow you to buy and try under DSR as long as you look after it. Thats 2 weeks.

I genuinely don't. I prefer most things about the Nikon, just the AF system isn't quite up to par and you can't get a proper grip. The Sonys are better performers (although I still can't gauge how good the A7RIV is and I'd want it to be significantly better than the Z7) but I'm not a fan of the ergonomics, button placement or menus. They do have more native lenses, and the 61mp sensor could potentially mean I could use the 100-400mm as a wildlife/motorsport lens without too much weight penalty (current wildlife setup is EM1-II and 100-400mm weight a total of 1559g vs 2060g for the A7RIV and 100-400mm)

As always it's a compromise and I'm probably falling foul of searching for the holy grail ;) Looking at the A7RIV specs fps is 10fps in Hi+ and 8fps in Hi, I'm guessing this means 10fps with slideshow view and 8fps with real time view? I see that the EVF has either 50hz or 100hz refresh rate, is that selectable or does it alter depending on shooting mode? I seem to recall that some of the EVF's reduce resolution or refresh rate if using burst mode or something?

What's the scan time of the sensor, is it prone to rolling shutter or is it like the A9?

even gen 3s are significantly better than Z7. The Z7 AF is on par with A7RII tbh.

I am not fan of sony ergonomics but its also not so bad that it gets in the way. If all else was equal between sony and nikon and ergonomics was the main sticking factor I'd also swap to nikon. Apart from ergonomics Nikon basically has nothing going for it. I'd actually rather buy canon EOS R tbh.

I'd even go as far as saying I am not sure why anyone would buy a nikon Z (harsh statement perhaps but that's how I feel about nikon these days). I still don't understand what they were thinking with Z50 and now D780. Seems like one terrible decision after another.

This thread is probably the worst on TP for making you think you need to make an upgrade when in reality you probably don’t!

Before Christmas I finally made the decision to let the 70-200 f4 go. As nothing seems to sell at a reasonable price (or for more than MPB offer) I sent it to to MPB. Because of this thread I’m now thinking the A9 would be a better fit for me but:

1/ I’m wondering if there is really a huge gain to be made for around £1000 extra and the A7r3?
2/ I’m a serial cropper and would probably miss the A7r3 and it’s 42MP sensor.
3/ I can’t really be that bothered to sell the A7r3 because it’s usually a pain on here.

There was an A9 on camera jungle for £1850 but thankfully it’s gone now. It was tempting but was ‘good’ condition and looking at the photos with marks and dings over it and with no description of shutter count it would have been a huge gamble for the price.

I’m kind of tempted to get an A6400 to keep with the A7r3 but it’s different batteries and likely to be nowhere as good as the A9.

This thread is probably the worst on TP for making you think you need to make an upgrade when in reality you probably don’t!

Before Christmas I finally made the decision to let the 70-200 f4 go. As nothing seems to sell at a reasonable price (or for more than MPB offer) I sent it to to MPB. Because of this thread I’m now thinking the A9 would be a better fit for me but:

1/ I’m wondering if there is really a huge gain to be made for around £1000 extra and the A7r3?
2/ I’m a serial cropper and would probably miss the A7r3 and it’s 42MP sensor.
3/ I can’t really be that bothered to sell the A7r3 because it’s usually a pain on here.

There was an A9 on camera jungle for £1850 but thankfully it’s gone now. It was tempting but was ‘good’ condition and looking at the photos with marks and dings over it and with no description of shutter count it would have been a huge gamble for the price.

I’m kind of tempted to get an A6400 to keep with the A7r3 but it’s different batteries and likely to be nowhere as good as the A9.

this thread is no worst than any other gear heavy thread ;)
there is just a lot happening on Sony with 3rd parties also jumping in.
perhaps try contributing in the more photography oriented threads? that's how I control GAS

Tried it out in store already, as I said difficult to assess it really as all modern cameras have blazingly fast AF when shooting pretty static things. Testing AF acquisition and accuracy on fast moving subjects is far more difficult to assess in store. I'm not prepared to pay £100 or so just to try a camera out at this stage.
That £100 could either save u from spending much more on switching or make you bankrupt afterwords lol

Have you priced up rough costs to switch, what all your gear is worth vs just the Sony setup and a prime with a couple zooms and cropping?
I know what I'd get for the Nikon gear, not priced the Olly stuff up yet but I reckon I could get the A7R4 plus 70-200mm f2.8, 24-70/24-105, 100-400mm and possibly a prime. I'd have to do without an UWA zoom for a while. I know my current gear (and any gear) will continue to lose money, but it doesn't sit well in my head selling all that gear and not getting much in return.
A good camera store will allow you to buy and try under DSR as long as you look after it. Thats 2 weeks.
But I'd have had to sell all my current gear to fund the purchase and if I don't like it I'd lose out buying all my old stuff back :facepalm:

I know what I'd get for the Nikon gear, not priced the Olly stuff up yet but I reckon I could get the A7R4 plus 70-200mm f2.8, 24-70/24-105, 100-400mm and possibly a prime. I'd have to do without an UWA zoom for a while. I know my current gear (and any gear) will continue to lose money, but it doesn't sit well in my head selling all that gear and not getting much in return.
But I'd have had to sell all my current gear to fund the purchase and if I don't like it I'd lose out buying all my old stuff back :facepalm:

Thats the camera 'game'.

Thats what credit cards are made for.

I know my current gear (and any gear) will continue to lose money, but it doesn't sit well in my head selling all that gear and not getting much in return.

That's why you should buy and sell used. And Sony has a decent used market. Though not on this forum :p

this thread is no worst than any other gear heavy thread ;)
there is just a lot happening on Sony with 3rd parties also jumping in.
perhaps try contributing in the more photography oriented threads? that's how I control GAS
It was more of a tongue in cheek comment than anything. This thread usually is quite good (barring a few times it goes off piste and into arguements). The photography related threads are ok but it’s nicer posting images in here because its usually a nicer environment than the image threads where it feels like your face needs to fit first.

It doesn’t help that I’ve not really be out for 2 months due to doing building work and now that I’ve got some days off I’ve had to cancel a trip out to the Norfolk seals because of feeling unwell! Oh well, I’m sure I will get out more soon.

I’m pretty much new to mirrorless so issues like silent shutter distortion, EVF black out etc are all new to me. I made the jump not really knowing about that stuff and so far I’m like the A7r3 and loving the silent shutter and animal eye AF, hence thinking the A9 is probably a better fit for wildlife but it means giving up the 42MP sensor.

It was more of a tongue in cheek comment than anything. This thread usually is quite good (barring a few times it goes off piste and into arguements). The photography related threads are ok but it’s nicer posting images in here because its usually a nicer environment than the image threads where it feels like your face needs to fit first.

It doesn’t help that I’ve not really be out for 2 months due to doing building work and now that I’ve got some days off I’ve had to cancel a trip out to the Norfolk seals because of feeling unwell! Oh well, I’m sure I will get out more soon.

I’m pretty much new to mirrorless so issues like silent shutter distortion, EVF black out etc are all new to me. I made the jump not really knowing about that stuff and so far I’m like the A7r3 and loving the silent shutter and animal eye AF, hence thinking the A9 is probably a better fit for wildlife but it means giving up the 42MP sensor.

Always a catch eh, I dont think any camera is going to be able to hit 20fps at 100mb RAW files anytime soon, Snerks and I worked out thats like 2000mbps write speed :eek:

Always a catch eh, I dont think any camera is going to be able to hit 20fps at 100mb RAW files anytime soon, Snerks and I worked out thats like 2000mbps write speed :eek:
To be honest the 20FPS, whilst nice, isn’t the biggest draw. I’m finding 10FPS to more than enough for me. It’s the silent shutter (distortion/banding), black out free EVF and real time animal eye AF & tracking that’s the bigger draws at present. The more I read about the A9 the more I like the sound of it and can see its benefits over the A7r3 (well for my needs anyway). Selling my A7r3 to MPB and getting an A9 would work out at a cost of changing of about £1000. That’s quite a bit extra even if I put the 70-200 f4 money to it.

I couldn’t justify having both an A9 and A7r3 so it’s one or the other. There’s just a feeling that the 42MP of the A7r3 just allows for cropping if I bugger up framing (which often I seem to do as I don’t always see better compositions whilst out).

Blackout isn't new. You have blackout in OVF too.

I managed to keep my Sony stuff a few years ago when I tried Fuji. I bought a used XE2, 23/1.4 & 56/1.2 & kept it all about two months. Lost about £120-140 I think.

I've also kept my Manfrotto hiking backpack as they aren't selling on eBay for as little as £30 My boy borrowed it last week when we done the Brecon's so glad I kept it really. He also has my 28-70mm kit lens and my old Flipside 300 to keep his stuff in at his house.

Your right the mirror has to flip up and down constantly on a DSLR so the view through the lens is interrupted.

Isn’t there something that on the A7r3 that you’re seeing a series of the previous taken images through the EVF when rattling off a burst? I may have got it completely wrong but I remember shooting aircraft in the summer was harder than I was expecting it to be.

That £100 could either save u from spending much more on switching or make you bankrupt afterwords lol
It could, and that's why I said at this stage and didn't rule it out altogether. IF I'm ever set/serious about swapping then I would do this as a last resort to try it out, but thinking about it it would be closer to £200 for camera and lens.
Thats the camera 'game'.

Thats what credit cards are made for.
And for making you end up with divorce papers on the table :LOL:
That's why you should buy and sell used. And Sony has a decent used market. Though not on this forum :p
I've tended to buy grey as it's been the same price as used, but even then you lose a shed load if selling to a store (and they don't even ask whether grey or not).
To be honest the 20FPS, whilst nice, isn’t the biggest draw. I’m finding 10FPS to more than enough for me. It’s the silent shutter (distortion/banding), black out free EVF and real time animal eye AF & tracking that’s the bigger draws at present. The more I read about the A9 the more I like the sound of it and can see its benefits over the A7r3 (well for my needs anyway).
TBH all this appeals to me too, however if I went down the A9-2 route then I'd have to keep the Olympus stuff as I'm not willing to cart the Sony 200-600mm around.
Not really, it still blacks out when the mirror raises (y)

Isn’t there something that on the A7r3 that you’re seeing a series of the previous taken images through the EVF when rattling off a burst? I may have got it completely wrong but I remember shooting aircraft in the summer was harder than I was expecting it to be.
That's at 10fps. If you set it to 8fps you get a real time view.

Your right the mirror has to flip up and down constantly on a DSLR so the view through the lens is interrupted.

If you use Hi+ burst setting i.e. 10fps then you get the slideshow effect. Basically what you just explained about seeing the previously taken image.

In "Hi" setting i.e. 8fps and below you won't have this issue i.e. you'll see live view with a little blackout when shutter closes to take the shot. This is why I almost always don't use Hi+.

All the A6X00 bodies bar A6000 can shoot 11fps with live view i.e. without slideshow effect.

Last edited:
That's at 10fps. If you set it to 8fps you get a real time view.
If you use Hi+ burst setting i.e. 10fps then you get the slideshow effect. Basically what you just explained about seeing the previously taken image.

In "Hi" setting i.e. 8fps and below you won't have this issue i.e. you'll see live view with a little blackout when shutter closes to take the shot. This is why I almost always don't use Hi+.

All the A6X00 bodies bar A6000 can shoot 11fps with live view i.e. without slideshow effect.
Thanks I will try out Hi 8FPS. That would probably help with tracking moving stuff.

It could, and that's why I said at this stage and didn't rule it out altogether. IF I'm ever set/serious about swapping then I would do this as a last resort to try it out, but thinking about it it would be closer to £200 for camera and lens.
And for making you end up with divorce papers on the table :LOL:
I've tended to buy grey as it's been the same price as used, but even then you lose a shed load if selling to a store (and they don't even ask whether grey or not).
TBH all this appeals to me too, however if I went down the A9-2 route then I'd have to keep the Olympus stuff as I'm not willing to cart the Sony 200-600mm around.
Not really, it still blacks out when the mirror raises (y)

You must be seriously set to switch, or you wouldnt be in here all the time. Its going to happen, just get it over with, pull out your CC, try it, keep it, or return it. You did exactly the same before you bough the D750. Buy it, if its crap, return it under DSR, you arent losing money, just making it immensely difficult for yourself.

Last edited:
Too heavy (y)
Yeah I can test at Harrisons but having a play in store doesn’t give you a great sense of how it’ll perform in the real world imo.

Also massive and £1,700.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

I think that 100-400mm is about the biggest lens I'm going to want to use and then only now and again.

Last edited:
You must be seriously set to switch, or you wouldnt be in here all the time. Its going to happen, just get it over with, pull out your CC, try it, keep it, or return it. You did exactly the same before you bough the D750. Buy it, if its crap, return it under DSR, you arent losing money, just making it immensely difficult for yourself.
Did what when buying the D750?

I've said all along that I'm only playing with ideas, I've no burning desire to swap so unless something comes along that ticks all/the majority of boxes then I'm happy to stay as I am. It's intrigue more than anything that I keep looking at options ;)

TBH though I don't do anywhere near as much photography as I did and I've considered just getting rid of pretty much everything, but I don't need the money for anything so I'm keeping hold of it.

Yep. I’ve probably taken less than 250 shots with my A73
Hate the Grey focus acquisition box.
Keep looking at the price of A9
Just mad really, isn’t it...
A73 is plenty camera for me. I could almost buy another with what it’ll cost to upgrade after letting the 73 go..

I've said all along that I'm only playing with ideas, I've no burning desire to swap so unless something comes along that ticks all/the majority of boxes then I'm happy to stay as I am. It's intrigue more than anything that I keep looking at options ;)

TBH though I don't do anywhere near as much photography as I did and I've considered just getting rid of pretty much everything, but I don't need the money for anything so I'm keeping hold of it.

This is me.

I just don't get free time and when I do I only get time to take the scenic route to the shops or maybe go to the hills or the beach for half a day so the vast majority of my outside pictures are taken at 3 locations. Other than that I might manage a holiday once every two years.

I've thought about selling most of my film era lenses and just keeping a couple of cameras and a few lenses but like you I don't need the money.

Also massive and £1,700.

View attachment 264621

I think that 100-400mm is about the biggest lens I'm going to want to use and then only now and again.
I suggest comparing it to sigma 100-400mm with a canon adapter which is more equivalent to the Panasonic.

As mentioned above the Sony 100-400mm is better lens and it's of a different class to the Panasonic.

I suggest comparing it to sigma 100-400mm with a canon adapter which is more equivalent to the Panasonic.

As mentioned above the Sony 100-400mm is better lens and it's of a different class to the Panasonic.

Yes but with the Pany you get an equiv 800mm.

It'd be nice to compare full frame MFT shots to crops from an A7x with these lenses to see what's possible. That'd answer a few questions but then there's the size and the costs of the lenses and the cameras.

Going back and forth and round and round then finally bought it and realised at the time it was the right choice.

The right boxes? Your current system consists of 2 formats at crossover focals and has you seeking. Doesn't seem ideal.

If you can consolidate into 1 system and achieve better results then it must be worth a go... At least a 14 day trial to scratch it.

@snerkler seriously though, we've come a long way and I kinda know what you expect so hopefully I'm encouraging you in the right way.... As long as you feel what you have isnt quite there. You know I'm a fussy _person_. Especially AF wise. BTW the A7III is superb for a lot less, just depends if you need the a9 extras or A7RIV res.

Last edited:
If you can consolidate into 1 system and achieve better results then it must be worth a go... At least a 14 day trial to scratch it.
That's what I'm trying to do.
Thought I'd keep my G80 and 100-400mm for wildlife, but I'd prefer to have one good system.
Unsure whether I'd go for the 100-400mm Sony or 200-600mm.
I'd be using on my A7ii, which I know doesn't have the best af, but it will be ok for me until I can get an A7iii at some point.
I sold my G80 and 100-400 and bought a Sony 24-105mm and 85mm f1.8

Last edited:
That's what I'm trying to do.
Thought I'd keep my G80 and 100-400mm for wildlife, but I'd prefer to have one good system.
Unsure whether I'd go for the 100-400mm Sony or 200-600mm.
I'd be using on my A7ii, which I know doesn't have the best af, but it will be ok for me until I can get an A7iii at some point.
I sold my G80 and 100-400 and bought a Sony 24-105mm and 85mm f1.8

Tough choice, you've already got the best walkabout zoom by a good margin and a very nice prime. Longer zooms have less significance than wide angles but that still leaves a tough choice Sony users have, the 100400 and even 1.4 are so small and light that it pretty much comes down to ergonomics. Good luck, thank goodness I don't shoot long!

560 vs 600 is nothing.

@snerkler seriously though, we've come a long way and I kinda know what you expect so hopefully I'm encouraging you in the right way.... As long as you feel what you have isnt quite there. You know I'm a fussy _person_. Especially AF wise. BTW the A7III is superb for a lot less, just depends if you need the a9 extras or A7RIV res.
A73 and A9 are out due to the grip. A7RIV is the only option to give me a one system do it all as I could crop the hell out of the 100-400mm to give me 800mm effective reach.

With regards to the D750 the procrastination was down to two main things. Firstly I wasn’t very experienced and didn’t know what I wanted and how to get the best out of things and secondly was worried about using an OVF ( and not being able to see the final image as I had the A77-2 if you remember? (How times change ;)) This time around I’m just a bit ‘meh’ about it all, which I know sounds a bit odd when we’re talking such cracking equipment.

A73 and A9 are out due to the grip. A7RIV is the only option to give me a one system do it all as I could crop the hell out of the 100-400mm to give me 800mm effective reach.

With regards to the D750 the procrastination was down to two main things. Firstly I wasn’t very experienced and didn’t know what I wanted and how to get the best out of things and secondly was worried about using an OVF ( and not being able to see the final image as I had the A77-2 if you remember? (How times change ;)) This time around I’m just a bit ‘meh’ about it all, which I know sounds a bit odd when we’re talking such cracking equipment.

I get your last statement.

Back