The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There are two A7rII's in the for sale section, one for £1,100 and the other is £900. I've no idea if those are good prices but just thought someone may be looking for one.

Googling shows one at Wex for £843.

Last edited:
T

Real time AF on A9 should be plenty good enough. If I remember there’s a video on YouTube showing it during boxing. Very impressive.

here is is:

View: https://youtu.be/aHmuJLVN7JA
As impressive as that is it's not a real world test as I've never been to a boxing match where the boxers stand in the same place all the time, normally they're ducking and diving and 'dancing' around the ring. I'd be interested to see how eye AF copes in this scenario (y)

Tried a bit of tracking with the dog.
Expanded flexible spot medium. AF-C
Large crop, used the Sammy 85.
Might've done better with the 55f1.8.
I'll try it next time I get a chance.
Hate the blackout, shot at 8fps

DSC00308 by Trevor, on Flickr

Tried a bit of tracking with the dog.
Expanded flexible spot medium. AF-C
Large crop, used the Sammy 85.
Might've done better with the 55f1.8.
I'll try it next time I get a chance.
Hate the blackout, shot at 8fps

DSC00308 by Trevor, on Flickr
You say the blackout, but why is it different to any other camera (excluding the A9)?

You say the blackout, but why is it different to any other camera (excluding the A9)?

Toby. It lasts longer than my old D500. Definitely interferes during shooting.

For me anyway.

Last edited:
Toby. It lasts longer than my old D500. Definitely interferes during shooting.

For me anyway.
Is that purely down to the slower frame rate or are you saying that if you shot the D500 at 8fps it would still blackout less than the Sony?

Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8
+ Price £669*
+ Sharp
+ Focusing Performance
+ Weather Sealing
+ Weight & Size
+f/2.8
-Cheap feeling
-17mm @ Widest

Zony 16-35mm f/4
+ Solid feel/build quality
+ Price £659*
+ OSS
+ 16mm @ Widest
- f/4
- Not as sharp as Tamron (though still a very good performer in image quality all round)

Sigma 14-24 f/2.8
+f/2.8
+ Sharpness and Image Quality
+ 14mm @ Widest (would mean I could do without my 14mm prime)
+ Build Quality
- Price £949*
- Size & Weight

*All prices quoted are brand new from E-Infinity today.

I've got a trip to Hong Kong coming up and currently have a gap between my 14mm Samyang and 28mm at the widest on the Tamron 28-75. I feel the city photography would benefit from a wide zoom (plus it would give much better landscape options in general). Been throwing these 3 around my head for a few days and am still no closer to making the decision. I really think I would enjoy the Sigma the most and would mean I could move on the Samyang to offset a little of the cost difference but it's still a more expensive lens than I was planning...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
You don't need another lens.
If you need wider than 28mm but not as wide as 14mm, then use the 14mm and crop if you need to.
But I don't suppose you want to hear the sensible answer. :)

You don't need another lens.
If you need wider than 28mm but not as wide as 14mm, then use the 14mm and crop if you need to.
But I don't suppose you want to hear the sensible answer. :)

I don't like crop mode, especially for landscape and cityscape type photos when you want all the sensor and all the glass IMO.

The only one of those that's suitable for city walkabouts is the 16-35 - IMO 28 is too wide for a general use lens, while 35mm is a bit more useful. If you're not happy with the 16-35 image quality then I'd go 14-24 and leave the 14mm at home. For me, the 17-28 is just the wrong range.

The only one of those that's suitable for city walkabouts is the 16-35 - IMO 28 is too wide for a general use lens, while 35mm is a bit more useful. If you're not happy with the 16-35 image quality then I'd go 14-24 and leave the 14mm at home. For me, the 17-28 is just the wrong range.

Yes, although taking the 17-28 & 28-75 in a bag with A7 III is still quite manageable as far as weight goes etc. I've got a couple of months to make my mind up.

Is that purely down to the slower frame rate or are you saying that if you shot the D500 at 8fps it would still blackout less than the Sony?

Certainly feels blacked out longer per frame than the D500. Been a while since I shot DSLR ...and I’m getting older..

Or am I talking myself into an A9..

Certainly feels blacked out longer per frame than the D500. Been a while since I shot DSLR ...and I’m getting older..

I never leave a black out free camera now I’ve the a9

Yes, although taking the 17-28 & 28-75 in a bag with A7 III is still quite manageable as far as weight goes etc. I've got a couple of months to make my mind up.

Having to keep changing lenses is a PITA unless you're on a photography - specific holiday where it's the primary activity. I could probably manage with a bag of primes rather than zooms if changing lenses all the time were aceptable.

Having to keep changing lenses is a PITA unless you're on a photography - specific holiday where it's the primary activity. I could probably manage with a bag of primes rather than zooms if changing lenses all the time were aceptable.

Well it's a holiday and photography will be my main focus, so camera will be with me 24/7 so I am not averse to have a few lenses in a back pack. I actually see myself with the wide zoom, standard zoom and probably my 85 or 200 prime most of the time.

I love HK and have visited lots of times in the past, unfortunately I was not into photography then so I really want to make my trip count this time.

Last edited:
Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8
+ Price £669*
+ Sharp
+ Focusing Performance
+ Weather Sealing
+ Weight & Size
+f/2.8
-Cheap feeling
-17mm @ Widest

Zony 16-35mm f/4
+ Solid feel/build quality
+ Price £659*
+ OSS
+ 16mm @ Widest
- f/4
- Not as sharp as Tamron (though still a very good performer in image quality all round)

Sigma 14-24 f/2.8
+f/2.8
+ Sharpness and Image Quality
+ 14mm @ Widest (would mean I could do without my 14mm prime)
+ Build Quality
- Price £949*
- Size & Weight

*All prices quoted are brand new from E-Infinity today.

I've got a trip to Hong Kong coming up and currently have a gap between my 14mm Samyang and 28mm at the widest on the Tamron 28-75. I feel the city photography would benefit from a wide zoom (plus it would give much better landscape options in general). Been throwing these 3 around my head for a few days and am still no closer to making the decision. I really think I would enjoy the Sigma the most and would mean I could move on the Samyang to offset a little of the cost difference but it's still a more expensive lens than I was planning...

Any thoughts?

Out of those, and in (what I suppose is very tight spaces in HK), the Sigma would tempt me.

Going to try any Michael Wolf-style photography?

Just an extra thought: can't you buy in HK? The poor camera dealers must be gagging for tourist ca$h with the huge downturn in tourist numbers.

Out of those, and in (what I suppose is very tight spaces in HK), the Sigma would tempt me.

Going to try any Michael Wolf-style photography?

Just an extra thought: can't you buy in HK? The poor camera dealers must be gagging for tourist ca$h with the huge downturn in tourist numbers.

Yes to the Michael Wolf style. Some tight in amongst the streets and skyscrapers, and some wide open (Mountain, south china seas, various bridge/harbour shots etc.

As far as buying in the many HK camera stores, it's a possibility, I'll check some prices (from actual locals that can get the no BS pricing :ROFLMAO:).

Last edited:
As far as buying in the many HK camera stores, it's a possibility, I'll check some prices (from actual locals that can get the no BS pricing :ROFLMAO:).[/QUOTE]

On the occasions I have been to HK I have found the price of cameras and lenses to be disappointing. As for at the airport so called duty free they were criminally high....

On the occasions I have been to HK I have found the price of cameras and lenses to be disappointing. As for at the airport so called duty free they were criminally high....

Well, somehow there are HKers selling grey into the UK. (I think that dude on Eby who claims to ship from Switzerland with no VAT/duty) is actually HK-based.)

That (bold bit) is to be expected though - at that location you have zero options.

Well, somehow there are HKers selling grey into the UK. (I think that dude on Eby who claims to ship from Switzerland with no VAT/duty) is actually HK-based.)

That (bold bit) is to be expected though - at that location you have zero options.

Well I find using e-infinity and camera in the post to be the best HK-UK sites.

I have found some airports such as Berlin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur offer really good prices but the majority are bloody awful...

I’m in the same boat talking myself into an A9.

One way to sort it is to look at the price of changing. I’ve costed up trading in my A7Riii with WEX (including the extra £300 trade in offer) and it’s an extra £1500 to trade in the A7Riii and buy the A9 from them. Even trading at MPB and buying at E finite would be an extra £1100. The question is asking myself is the A9 really worth an extra £1100-£1500 over the A7Riii?

One way to sort it is to look at the price of changing. I’ve costed up trading in my A7Riii with WEX (including the extra £300 trade in offer) and it’s an extra £1500 to trade in the A7Riii and buy the A9 from them. Even trading at MPB and buying at E finite would be an extra £1100. The question is asking myself is the A9 really worth an extra £1100-£1500 over the A7Riii?

Is there no free grip promotion ? When I got mine I had the £300 bonus and a free grip

Really :oops: :$

The manager at my local WEX looks after me quite well. Better than even I thought after reading this. It really does pay to build up a relationship with your local store.

I traded an A7III for an A9 on Tuesday they gave me £1275 for the A7III plus £300 trade in bonus. The A9 also came with a free battery grip which I sold yesterday for £220. So all in cost me £1205 to change.

Have you tried haggling with them? My local knows me very well to be fair and they always look after me well. I dealt initially with a guy I haven’t dealt with before and was only offered £1090 for the A7III.

The A9 will be getting another price drop soon that is why so many places are doing the £300 trade in bonus.

I got a pretty good deal I only paid £1100 for the A7III when I bought it new. Worked pretty much as good as flogging the A7III privately and buying an A9 from China.

Last edited:
And no doubt spent a fortune....:)

Yea I have probably spent a fair bit with them over the years but they do more than just gave me an extra couple of quid off when I am buying something and I am sure they have plenty of other people spending much more money there than I do.

Twice they have offered me the opportunity to run wedding workshops from the local store and offered pretty good rates for doing that.

Some of the staff are quite supportive of my business on social media. I have actually booked a few weddings due to recommendations from a few of the staff.

The odd time something has went wrong they have always went over and above to sort it out.

Glad you hung around for it :)

Yesterday we went to a local pond/woodland area that we normally go to but I want a nice sunrise shot there while the sun is further south in winter! Dull, then it rained a little - I slipped my waterproof over trousers on & wellies for it because it's long grasses and I'm so glad I did! Managed a pano but not what I wanted. Then we dropped down into Wells. Almost turned around but it started to clear whilst having a wander around & passing a hour or two. Managed a few tourist style images but not convinced..... Then we headed on to Glastonbury & the Tor. Glastonbury didn't appeal at all, nowhere near as nice as Wells. But the other half has been on about the Tor for ages & ages. Covered a few miles walking around & up & as we got up there a patch of rain passed to the east & then it pretty much cleared. So glad we done the route "back to front" as meant we were coming down the main path whilst the sun was lighting everything up :) I then ventured up another hill for a view across where I already knew I would need a longer lens than 85mm......

Still, all in all not a bad day out & glad we stuck it out through the not so nice morning weather :)

Sounds like a good one, can't beat getting out and about!

Maybe not everyones cup of tea, but one from Bamburgh a few days ago.

Bamburgh Sunstar by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Not sure if you are/were looking for critique but I'll be nice :)
I do like the picture and the star burst but I don't feel the foreground is connecting or leading to the sun.
May be if had moved slightly and used the wave line as your foreground to lead it on to the sun+castle that'd be great!

To achieve what exactly?
To trade in an A7Riii for an A9. WEX currently have an extra £300 if you trade in a camera at the same time. For that reason it wouldn’t make as much sense to buy a used A9 from them.

There’s no doubting the A9 is the better camera for what I do (mainly wildlife). Better AF, real time focusing, no black out, 20FPS on silent shutter, better EVF etc would potentially be better for wildlife but it is £1100-1500 better? There is a lot of talk on here about the A9 being the better choice but when you do the maths is it really going to be worth the extra?

Last edited:
Back