The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yeah, life's too short to worry about these things, number one priority is enjoyment.

I don't stress over it, it's more just how I shoot I think. I'm never overly conscious of how many shots I'm taking, but I'm maybe that bit more patient, or precise?

I don't stress over it, it's more just how I shoot I think. I'm never overly conscious of how many shots I'm taking, but I'm maybe that bit more patient, or precise?

When things are moving there's no such thing.

When things are moving there's no such thing.

As what? I've shot birds, bugs, little people etc in single shot. I think I'm too old skool for all these rapid fire options, they confuse me if I'm honest

As what? I've shot birds, bugs, little people etc in single shot. I think I'm too old skool for all these rapid fire options, they confuse me if I'm honest

It's okay to be selective but when you have the option of choosing from 20 or missing, I'd go 20 and have that stunner.

It's okay to be selective but when you have the option of choosing from 20 or missing, I'd go 20 and have that stunner.

I don't disagree, it's more habitual with me though. I just like shooting single frames, and often feel the less I shoot with more keepers the better.

On the Sony thing, I have had an interest for a good while now, just need the right trade or sale and I'll give it a go at least. It is always just gear to me, whatever suits the need. Atm I wouldn't mind trying out some higher res FF and giving landscape a shot.

I don't disagree, it's more habitual with me though. I just like shooting single frames, and often feel the less I shoot with more keepers the better.

On the Sony thing, I have had an interest for a good while now, just need the right trade or sale and I'll give it a go at least. It is always just gear to me, whatever suits the need. Atm I wouldn't mind trying out some higher res FF and giving landscape a shot.

The A7Rii are a good bet at under 1k used, lots of camera for the money or even 3/r3 are a crazy bargain. Samyangs are nice and cheap, then step up to sigma, even Sony have some fantastic cheap lenses like the 85 and Tamron zooms. Spoilt for choice these days, I remember buying launch a7 and the only lens available was the sz 35 2.8.

Last edited:
The A7Rii are a good bet at under 1k used, lots of camera for the money or even r3 are a crazy bargain. Samyangs are nice and cheap, then step up to sigma, even Sony have some fantastic cheap lenses like the 85 and Tamron zooms. Spoilt for choice these days, I remember buying launch a7 and the only lens available was the sz 35 2.8.

Because of the way I shoot I think the A7RII would be ideal for me [once I get the hang of it] - I love my X-H1, wanted one a long time before they came down in price enough, but I do find myself wanting that bit more. And that's never bad thing. Couple of cheap primes would do the job for my needs for a bit, with the aim to get a nice macro and/or tele option later

'If' I do wear out my shutter mechanism within 3 years (I'll definitely reach 200,000) it'll be interesting to see if Panamoz warranty will cover the shutter replacement. A quick scan through their terms & conditions makes me believe they would cover it.
I'd have thought that would be normal wear and tear?

Last edited:
Drag your most recent shot (un-edited) into here to get your shutter count (includes silent and mechanical as far as I know)

http://tools.science.si

Thanks. I've just tried that. It looks like its mechanical shutter count only.

December 2018
Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 22.21.58.png

October 2020
Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 22.19.49.png

I've taken at least 3868 going by the file number (thats roughly the number of RAWs I have in LR) in the last year but the shutter count has only gone up 1025. I've mainly used the silent shutter since owning the A7R3 so that makes sense. I still think my overall mech shutter and silent shutter count is probably around 9666 (using the shutter count info) but I was hoping of a way to find out exactly the number taken.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all your responses regarding shutter life cycle. I asked because someone is offering me an a7r3 for £1600 with just under 15,000 shutter actuations and someone else is offering a Brand New a7r4 for £1850. Advertised it through Ebay via a Classifieds Ad, would have Ebay buyer protection but wants a BT. He has 100% reputation over 350 transactions.. So I’m not sure which is a good deal ? Like you have all said, I’ll be lucky if I get it to 75,000 shutter actuations.

Thank you guys for all your responses regarding shutter life cycle. I asked because someone is offering me an a7r3 for £1600 with just under 15,000 shutter actuations and someone else is offering a Brand New a7r4 for £1850. Advertised it through Ebay via a Classifieds Ad, would have Ebay buyer protection but wants a BT. He has 100% reputation over 350 transactions.. So I’m not sure which is a good deal ? Like you have all said, I’ll be lucky if I get it to 75,000 shutter actuations.

Call me cautious but I wouldn't fancy a BT on an ebay purchase.

*edit* the A7R IV at that price is a steal, even vs grey import, I just rightly or wrongly don't trust an ebay seller asking for BT.

Last edited:
Is £1850 just too cheap for an A7RIV?

I'd be tempted to look and see if anyone else can get anywhere near that price and if not I'd be very suspicious.

I'd be tempted to look and see if anyone else can get anywhere near that price and if not I'd be very suspicious.

Would an A7-anything not be a nice upgrade for you? I know you love your A7 'classic' but even something like an A7sII or A7RII? low light or high res monsters? you've certainly got the lenses to compliment

Call me cautious but I wouldn't fancy a BT on an ebay purchase.

*edit* the A7R IV at that price is a steal, even vs grey import, I just rightly or wrongly don't trust an ebay seller asking for BT.

it’s my view too, the seller is in York so I’m going to see if he will do a face to face transaction.

Would an A7-anything not be a nice upgrade for you? I know you love your A7 'classic' but even something like an A7sII or A7RII? low light or high res monsters? you've certainly got the lenses to compliment

I'm not getting the camera, I'm asking the question re Galdalf a couple of posts up.

For what I do an A7 is more than enough and it probably wont be replaced until it stops working :D

I wouldn't do it, the only reason to take a BT is to either avoid eBay fees or avoid the tax man. At the very least check to see what else they're selling, if they have a bunch of disparate items that are all high value then it's probably a con, you sometimes see people's accounts get hacked on eBay and they try to make some quick cash by listing a lot of desirable pieces to see if anyone will send a BT which then can't be reclaimed.

it’s my view too, the seller is in York so I’m going to see if he will do a face to face transaction.

Ah, I'd still do some Googling as even if he'll part with it for that price I'd worry it was stolen. It just seems to be a suspiciously good price.

Last edited:
I'm not getting the camera, I'm asking the question re Galdalf a couple of posts up.

For what I do an A7 is more than enough and it probably wont be replaced until it stops working :D

I wasn't following on, just asking in general. Good enough (y)

You pay BT, then you waive goodbye to any protection sadly.

You pay BT, then you waive goodbye to any protection sadly.

Tom, while I do agree wholeheartedly with your comment, don’t we do the same on TP. Everything is based on trust... Yes generally we have all talked and interacted with most of each other on here to a certain degree, some have even met others but in general we’re trusting what one an other are saying regarding our goods and then trusting that when we part with our money the other person in the transaction will do the same and send the goods.

Tom, while I do agree wholeheartedly with your comment, don’t we do the same on TP. Everything is based on trust... Yes generally we have all talked and interacted with most of each other on here to a certain degree, some have even met others but in general we’re trusting what one an other are saying regarding our goods and then trusting that when we part with our money the other person in the transaction will do the same and send the goods.

I think a concern would be the price. A brand new a7r4 from the grey market is still £2,370. Why someone would be selling one at £1,850 that's supposedly brand new would be raising some red flags for me.

I agree also Jonathan. What’s the old saying “If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is”

Back