The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I get equal quality or better for the prints up to A3+ size. If you are talking bigger prints then it's not something I can comment about.

You don't know what I do and don't own. And besides the point wasn't about me owning or not owning A9II.

Printing is not just pressing the print button just as taking pictures is not just pressing the shutter button, any trained monkey could do that.

First you say it's not about finance then you complain about having to keep a stack of paper. If you have the money to afford various paper then what's the issue?

I have no idea what you own but I bet my house it isn’t a commercial machine.

The printers that I go to are expert in their field, so that’s why I go to them. I know to match them I need more than just the same machine, there is also calibration and all sorts I need to think about.

You might be able to get close, but I doubt you can match it. Besides the fact I mostly print only A2 and up.

I have no idea what you own but I bet my house it isn’t a commercial machine.

The printers that I go to are expert in their field, so that’s why I go to them. I know to match them I need more than just the same machine, there is also calibration and all sorts I need to think about.

You might be able to get close, but I doubt you can match it. Besides the fact I mostly print only A2 and up.

This is getting no where.

Explaining this to you is almost like this

View: https://youtu.be/paJqHPHLExo

Bigger and expensive obviously equals better.
By this logic huge office laser printer is also better at printing photos that my home setup.

Last edited:
People still using peak designs straps? Tempted to swap out from my BR. Guessing the wider one be best when using 70-200.

Do prefer the thinner lite but not sure how comfortable it will be without the padding.

Anyone? Lol

When I got home today my Voigtlander 50mm f2 apo was waiting for me and what a lens. It's sharp into the extreme corners at f2 with nice colour and contrast and the bokeh looks nice too. It's seems to be superbly made and should last pretty much a lifetime, even after the electronic bits have died. The only negative seems to be some vignetting at f2 but it's not serious.

I think the reviews I've read were right and this is perhaps one of the best 50mm lenses ever made but I don't suppose it'll appeal to too many in this thread. I like the character of the 35mm f1.4 classic but if they make an apo 35mm I'll probably buy it if it looks as good as this 50mm.

Last edited:
Well thank gosh for that.

Do we have anything else to talk about?

We're picture light again.

That's a bit of a stretch even for this thread. Unless the picture of the price board was taken with a Sony.

When I got home today my Voigtlander 50mm f2 apo was waiting for me and what a lens. It's sharp into the extreme corners at f2 with nice colour and contrast and the bokeh looks nice too. It's seems to be superbly made and should last pretty much a lifetime, even after the electronic bits have died. The only negative seems to be some vignetting at f2 but it's not serious.

I think the reviews I've read were right and this is perhaps one of the best 50mm lenses ever made but I don't suppose it'll appeal to too many in this thread. I like the character of the 35mm f1.4 classic but if they make an apo 35mm I'll probably buy it if it looks as good as this 50mm.

Yes! :p

It is also a very old product.... I think Sony will announce the Sony RX1R III this year...... :D
The sensor still keeps up with most things on the market today.

It's basically a niche product with low volume of sales and a high margin.

Thanks I will take a look. The A9 manual is a proper brick and quite daunting. I’m already finding I must have set up some oddities on the A7R3 because things just don’t work like they did on the A7R3.
Manual ewww, Mark galer on YouTube.

Really stuck between the Samyang 18mm 2.8 and the Tokina Firin 20mm f2 MF :thinking:

I've got half an eye on the Tamron 20mm f/2.8

That's what I am looking at. Seems a bargain for a 20mm F2.

Yes it seems a good deal to me. Hardly anyone seems to own this lens, but opinions always seem positive from people that do, low distortion and hardly any chromatic aberrations.

Really stuck between the Samyang 18mm 2.8 and the Tokina Firin 20mm f2 MF :thinking:

I was also looking at the tamron,I’m sure grey it will be around the uk price off the samyang as the other two were.

I couldn’t find much on the lens and the one review I saw wasn’t that favourable.

I had wanted the 17-28 but it was out my budget and with the samyang I couldn’t complain for what I payed or am paying as it’s only £20 a month with cliffs 12m interest free

People still using peak designs straps? Tempted to swap out from my BR. Guessing the wider one be best when using 70-200.

Do prefer the thinner lite but not sure how comfortable it will be without the padding.

I own both - the lite is super uncomfortable and cuts Into your shoulder, I'd avoid. The normal one is absolutely fine (y)

What will they gimp?

The competition .... :p

I don't buy the rumored specs, 7-8 stops stab when combined with an OIS lens? with a FF sensor? I highly doubt this. Olympus only ever claim up to 6.5 with the M43 sensor and they are the best at doing IBIS to date

I own both - the lite is super uncomfortable and cuts Into your shoulder, I'd avoid. The normal one is absolutely fine (y)

Shame about the lite as like the thinner strap but got to be comfortable!

If you don't mind the hood of the tokina it's a good option. At f2.8 it's nearly as sharp as loxia 21mm f2.8.
The hood of the AF version of this lens is a round though.

Also as mentioned above unless you need that f2 consider the tamron 20mm f2.8. it gives some interesting macro capabilities. You can also get to 1:1 magnification with just a 10mm extension tube.

Samyang has mixed reviews I nearly bought it myself but then realised while it's probably ok on a 24mp on my A7RIV I won't like it much.

Back