The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If you have been happy with the A7iii I’d wait to see what the A7iv brings. Theoretically it should be priced less than the A7Riv though it may be close at launch.

Trying to be patient...

A7IV will be around 1800 - 2000 launch and TBH Id be surprised if its better than the RIV. Were seeing incremental updates because Sony has no competition for this or next gen. D780 £2200 :ROFLMAO:

Why are there a lot of used A9's for sale?

Are people not happy with them?

It’s definitely freeing as I’m now using the smallest backpack I have for years. My f stop guru 25 litre bag is now my go to bag. It’s weird to think I used to use bags that were huge and sometimes cart around 12kg of kit.

I don't like backpacks but the stuff I have to carry has increased since I got married. It's funny how Mrs WW thinks that her water bottle and snacks belong in my bag.

Just to annoy her I sometimes eat her stuff :D

On the last page someone said they were looking at one of the many at MBP and Wex.

Here...

After reading on here about how well people are doing with the A9 for their bird photography I've decided to rationalise my kit and sell off stuff that I'm not using. I shall be moving on my A7RIII (which of course I do use), A7II and Sigma 135mm 1.8 ART and part exchange them for one of the many A9's on MPB and Wex.
I may put them up on here but I just can't seem to sell stuff in Classifieds, might put them in Price Checks though. Any ideas here would be most welcome. Now I'll have to sell the project to my wife:eek:

I'm off to have a look. I'm not buying one, I'm just curious :D

Last edited:
I wonder if they're used (by people) or some sort of refurbished or returned batch they've bought up?

I just wondered if they are genuinely used cameras why people are selling them.

Why are there a lot of used A9's for sale?

Are people not happy with them?
I think it's just that Pros want the wi fi of the mk II more than any other reason .
Rob.

Well I've bitten the bullet and listed all three of my items with MPB for part exchange rather than advertise on here.
A7Riii body
A7ii body
Sigma 135mm f1.8 ART

I chose an A9 that was listed as "excellent" rather than "as new" and my final payment was £43 :D.

MPB were about £90 better than Wex in the p/ex probably because they have so many A9's to shift. Wex in the past have upped a p/ex rating on a piece of my equipment when they found it to be of a higher rating, I wonder if MPB will do the same.

I almost entered my 100-400GM as a swap for a 200-600 but after looking at a few reviews I decided that the MFD of the 100-400 would suit me better in insect/dragonfly photography.

You could ask the same question about any camera/thing.

It's a rather expensive and I'd guess rather a niche lower volume seller and I just wondered why there are quite a few for sale.

Maybe Ron and Laurence are right and the relatively plentiful supply of used A9's is due to the II coming out.

Upgrading to the a9mk2

I remember that here and on some other forums people were commenting on the II being a disappointing update, or lack of update, but a few bloggers were saying that it was exactly what the pros were asking for. I don't know what the sales numbers are but if the II is selling well then well done Sony and the used A9's are there for anyone looking for one... but the grey prices look tempting.

I got my Voigtlander 50mm f2 from Camera in the post. It was cheaper than the UK prices but actually that wasn't why I bought from them, I bought from them as they were the only ones with stock. They've not competitive on the A9 though and are asking more than e infinity.

I remember that here and on some other forums people were commenting on the II being a disappointing update, or lack of update, but a few bloggers were saying that it was exactly what the pros were asking for. I don't know what the sales numbers are but if the II is selling well then well done Sony and the used A9's are there for anyone looking for one... but the grey prices look tempting.

I got my Voigtlander 50mm f2 from Camera in the post. It was cheaper than the UK prices but actually that wasn't why I bought from them, I bought from them as they were the only ones with stock. They've not competitive on the A9 though and are asking more than e infinity.
A grey a9mk2 is like 3k...

Vs 6k for the newly released 1dx3. Maybe around 5k grey at best?

It's a rather expensive and I'd guess rather a niche lower volume seller and I just wondered why there are quite a few for sale.

Maybe Ron and Laurence are right and the relatively plentiful supply of used A9's is due to the II coming out.
MPB currently have:

36 A7iii
46 Nikon D850
29 Canon 5D iv

I guess MPB have been buying more than they can sell. Not sure why they would do that. Perhaps selling has generally gone down. If it’s anything like selling in the TP classifieds I wouldn’t be surprised.

Last edited:
A grey a9mk2 is like 3k...

Vs 6k for the newly released 1dx3. Maybe around 5k grey at best?

I think for a lot of amateurs the additional features the A9II offers may not be worth the extra cost. I can see the appeal of the A9 though.

MPB currently have:

36 A7iii
46 Nikon D850
29 Canon 5D iv

I guess MPB have been buying more than they can sell. Not sure why they would do that. Perhaps selling has generally gone down. If it’s anything like selling in classifieds I wouldn’t be surprised.

Maybe people are selling but not buying due to the general nervous climate, post Xmas budgets, Brexit, jobs, general feelings of insecurity and all... Whatever the reasons I always raise an eyebrow just a bit when I see expensive kit that's not very old up for sale. We see it here, people selling kit that's only a couple of months old.

And sorry, I posted Ron but meant Rob :D

Maybe people are selling but not buying due to the general nervous climate, post Xmas budgets, Brexit, jobs, general feelings of insecurity and all... Whatever the reasons I always raise an eyebrow just a bit when I see expensive kit that's not very old up for sale. We see it here, people selling kit that's only a couple of months old.

And sorry, I posted Ron but meant Rob :D
That could possibly be a reason. Other reasons are people find phones good enough and don’t need a ‘big camera’, or people are selling to MPB then buying grey imports.

Go on ebay and you'll find plenty of used luxury items, not just cameras, nothing new. People buy stuff they think they need, people sell stuff.

First time out with the A9 this morning. I’m quite impressed, AF seems to be pretty fast. Blackout free EVF was nice (it worked the way I mistakenly thought the A7Riii did when used that in Hi+). Even limiting it to 10FPS still meant I’d taken a lot of images and to to sift through them, although it helps capture the right point of the action.

I got lucky and actually found the species I’d gone looking for. The light wasn’t great I still managed to get something. Still good to spend about 20 minutes watching an Otter fish.

That could possibly be a reason. Other reasons are people find phones good enough and don’t need a ‘big camera’, or people are selling to MPB then buying grey imports.

I'd be amazed if someone with an A9 decided to sell it and use a smartphone... but maybe not too surprised. If I'd spend thousands on kit and then decided to sell after a few months I'd be taking a look at myself.

Maybe part of the reason people are selling to MPB and Wex is it's relatively easy and safe compared to the lottery some other selling mediums can be.

• Sony ILCE-9 + FE 35mm F1.8
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 35.0 mm
  • 1/90
  • Flash (off, did not fire)
49472575751_3d2c6afaec_c.jpg

Well I've bitten the bullet and listed all three of my items with MPB for part exchange rather than advertise on here.
A7Riii body
A7ii body
Sigma 135mm f1.8 ART

I chose an A9 that was listed as "excellent" rather than "as new" and my final payment was £43 :D.

MPB were about £90 better than Wex in the p/ex probably because they have so many A9's to shift. Wex in the past have upped a p/ex rating on a piece of my equipment when they found it to be of a higher rating, I wonder if MPB will do the same.

I almost entered my 100-400GM as a swap for a 200-600 but after looking at a few reviews I decided that the MFD of the 100-400 would suit me better in insect/dragonfly photography.
I feel it’s good to use the likes of MPB to trade in once you have made the decision. It’s hassle free compared to selling privately. When I’d previously looked at trading in with MPB I don’t think their trade on price differed depending on if you were buying from them or trading in for cash. Offered £1130 (good) and £1250 (excellent) for my A7Riii if traded in for cash 2-3 weeks ago.

The extra focal length of the 200-600 would have been a little useful this morning but it’s the smaller size and weight that I love about the 100-400. It makes it so easy to carry around.

Last edited:
I feel it’s good to use the likes of MPB to trade in once you have made the decision. It’s hassle free compared to selling privately. When I’d previously looked at trading in MPB I don’t think their trade on price differed depending on if you were buying from them or trading in for cash. Offered £1130 (good) and £1250 (excellent) for my A7Riii if traded in for cash 2-3 weeks ago.

The extra focal length of the 200-600 would have been a little useful this morning but it’s the smaller size and weight that I love about the 100-400. It makes it so easy to carry around.
If that's the case then I could take the cash and get a new one from e-infinity but I'm not sure if I want to take the risk.
I'm never quite sure how to describe the items, some of them are marginal excellent /as new or good /excellent, can I trust them to make a decision in my favour? Wex have done so in the past.

If that's the case then I could take the cash and get a new one from e-infinity but I'm not sure if I want to take the risk.
I'm never quite sure how to describe the items, some of them are marginal excellent /as new or good /excellent, can I trust them to make a decision in my favour? Wex have done so in the past.
If your not happy with their assessment you're not obliged to continue.
Describe it honestly and you'll be fine

[
I feel it’s good to use the likes of MPB to trade in once you have made the decision. It’s hassle free compared to selling privately. When I’d previously looked at trading in with MPB I don’t think their trade on price differed depending on if you were buying from them or trading in for cash. Offered £1130 (good) and £1250 (excellent) for my A7Riii if traded in for cash 2-3 weeks ago.

the prices they offered me for anything have been far under used market prices, I find. well that was the case.. now the favourite tactic seems to be to get a MPB quote and fire that back to the seller. cause you can guarantee the price of any lens they offer is at least £200 less than people post on here.

Last edited:
That's pretty brutal, who wants to tie up all that money in stock they can't move for months?

I suppose they could have bought at too good to miss prices or the mark up on the stuff they've sold in part ex saves the day. If not someone might be feeling a bit nervous when management spot what's in stock.

[

the prices they offered me for anything have been far under used market prices, I find. well that was the case.. now the favourite tactic seems to be to get a MPB quote and fire that back to the seller. cause you can guarantee the price of any lens they offer is at least £200 less than people post on here.
they're a business and have to make a profit, so it should not be a surprise to anyone that their trade in prices are lot less than used market prices.
they also pay vat and offer a warranty.
I sold them a few items recently that I had listed on here but got no interest. Ended up getting more, and no postage costs or hassle.

Back