The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Anyone have any cons with ordering from panamoz. I know its a grey import but has anyone had any first hand experiance of the 3 year warrnaty they provide? Costing mid 1800 and much cheaper then the UK 2600 retail. Used UK ones seem to be going for 1900 plus so its very tempting. Had an A7 ages ago but focusing was rubbish, heard this is much better! I reckon it will get more daily usage when going out with family as its not a big bulky package like my D810

Jessops have a7 ii with Metabones canon 1179 after cash back good deal?

Panamoz were first class when a Nikon lens needed repair. Paid up for Nikon UK to do the work without hesitation.

I have learnt my lesson with sony though, definitely have to wait 12 months before you buy a camera wait for the new one and buy the old one. Im hoping the 3rd Gen stuff offers something worth swapping my A7R for, but please don't gain any bulk.

they were talking about curved sensors now.. I dunno.

Be interesting to see what happens and if this will mean another mount, as speculated on the rumour site, or maybe it'll be a fixed lens or A99.

Still happy enough with my original A7 and every time I use it I'm more than happy with the image quality :D

Anyone have any cons with ordering from panamoz. I know its a grey import but has anyone had any first hand experiance of the 3 year warrnaty they provide? Costing mid 1800 and much cheaper then the UK 2600 retail. Used UK ones seem to be going for 1900 plus so its very tempting. Had an A7 ages ago but focusing was rubbish, heard this is much better! I reckon it will get more daily usage when going out with family as its not a big bulky package like my D810

Not used Panamoz but have bought a few things from Digital review shop and have no complaints, never had to use the warranty though.

Curved sensor wont come to E-mount it would require new lenses. Its better suited to fixed lens systems/

I have learnt my lesson with sony though, definitely have to wait 12 months before you buy a camera wait for the new one and buy the old one. Im hoping the 3rd Gen stuff offers something worth swapping my A7R for, but please don't gain any bulk.
Problem with Sony is that they make a fantastic camera and then 12 months later make another camera that actually makes the 'fantastic' camera look quite pale in comparison much like the A7R/A7RII

I suppose the only issue for me would be the drop in used values when you come to sell the outdated kit but at least Sony are bringing out new kit which seems to move the game on and is worth moving to. Compare that with Canon with their years of (arguably) new cameras with no significant move forward and I'd rather have the rapid and real upgrades offered by Sony.

Having said that I don't plan to change my A7 anytime soon. Could do though :D

Problem with Sony is that they make a fantastic camera and then 12 months later make another camera that actually makes the 'fantastic' camera look quite pale in comparison much like the A7R/A7RII

Only effects people that are equipment hoarders though. A good camera will always be that same good camera. The A7R2 offers me zero over the A7R, for me it would be a sidestep as its bigger which i don't like.

All fine except Canon did a major AF overhaul with the 5d3 so not entirely accurate.

Only effects people that are equipment hoarders though. A good camera will always be that same good camera. The A7R2 offers me zero over the A7R, for me it would be a sidestep as its bigger which i don't like.

Yup, a good camera remains that till gas creeps in.

It's a nice thing to accept that you're happy with your gear but it could happen that you find some shortcoming or realise that you'd love some new feature or ability that the new kit has. Until that happens to me I'm happy enough with my gear now but being happy does leave the problem of what toys to buy myself in the future :D

Buy more lenses much better investment. Like ive said if and when sony do a global shutter i will consider a new body. Fingers crossed they dont increase the size anymore.

Buy more lenses much better investment. Like ive said if and when sony do a global shutter i will consider a new body. Fingers crossed they dont increase the size anymore.

Yup.

Think I've (almost) come to the stop with lenses as the 35 and 55 seem to suit me and I keep promising myself that I'll use my 28-70mm one day. I could be tempted to a compact 35mm f1.8 and/or Sony 85mm, I've decided I don't like the possible cats eye highlights of the Batis. I do still have 24, 28, 85 and 135mm MF lenses and the 50mm f1.2 too. I do miss a longish macro though. Mostly an AF 35 and 50 suit me with wider and longer MF lenses for occasional use.

My list at the minute is the 16-35 f4, but i think i would like the 55 f1.8 for low light work, but i have a feeling 16mm f4 with OSS is probably better for low light.

At the moment I am using a D3300 dx off course.
I am planning to move to full frame but I just don't know to which camera....yet! Hope you guys can help me deciding.

A7r? A7r2?

Don't forget my d3300 already has 24 mp and I just find it my limit because in raw the pictures are huge but I can handle that but I don't know if I would be able to handle the size of the a7rii files....

Ideas?

At the moment the a7rii is at 2200£

Get a a7 ii if your worried about file size mate .... Full frame is very diff despite megapixel count u will love it

Just out of interest what's the approximate size of an uncompressed RAW with the A7 II?

My list at the minute is the 16-35 f4, but i think i would like the 55 f1.8 for low light work, but i have a feeling 16mm f4 with OSS is probably better for low light.

28f2 on a stabilised body would be the ultimate for low light

Wrong on both occasions. It does and they are 24mb.

Ah thanks twist I thought 42mb sounded a bit on the high side.
Just wondering how an would A7 II stack up against my trio of Merrill's in terms of detail extraction, I've got a feeling the 24mp sensor would come up slightly short (at Iso100/200).
My interest is mainly from the landscape side, I'm quite interested in giving an A7 II or R II a punt.

Edit: Just downloaded a few A7 II RAWs to look at, maybe Diogo isn't so far out because these V1.1 firmware RAWs are around the 25mb mark. I suspect the new v2 firmware with 14bit file RAWs makes the size grow a fair bit.

Last edited:
Yup.

Think I've (almost) come to the stop with lenses as the 35 and 55 seem to suit me and I keep promising myself that I'll use my 28-70mm one day. I could be tempted to a compact 35mm f1.8 and/or Sony 85mm, I've decided I don't like the possible cats eye highlights of the Batis. I do still have 24, 28, 85 and 135mm MF lenses and the 50mm f1.2 too. I do miss a longish macro though. Mostly an AF 35 and 50 suit me with wider and longer MF lenses for occasional use.

Hi Alan, what's the 50 1.2 like? Also which 135 are you using and how does it perform?

Hi Alan, what's the 50 1.2 like? Also which 135 are you using and how does it perform?

It's a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 and by modern standards... it's crap :D

50mm wise I have f1.8, 1.4 and f1.2 legacy lenses and overall I suppose that the f1.8's are the smart choice as they're a lot cheaper and probably smaller and lighter than the rest but I've always been drawn to the f1.4's and of the ones I have the Minolta Rokkor is my favourite, it's better then the Olympus Zuiko and Canon FD f1.4's that I have. Compared to the Minolta f1.4 I'd say that the f1.2 isn't as good until you close the aperture way down and even then it maybe never is quite as good but it does have a couple of things in its favour and it can give a nice whole image look. Technical goodness isn't always the clincher for me and I've got some nice shots from the f1.2 and I'd recommend it if you don't mind the faults and like the look it gives.

I have a few old 135mm lenses and the best is a Minolta Rokkor f2.8. I wont kid myself that it's as good as a modern lens but like a lot of older lenses it's nice to use and it gives a nice look and it's better than the f3.5 135's I have.

Ah thanks twist I thought 42mb sounded a bit on the high side.
Just wondering how an would A7 II stack up against my trio of Merrill's in terms of detail extraction, I've got a feeling the 24mp sensor would come up slightly short (at Iso100/200).
My interest is mainly from the landscape side, I'm quite interested in giving an A7 II or R II a punt.

Edit: Just downloaded a few A7 II RAWs to look at, maybe Diogo isn't so far out because these V1.1 firmware RAWs are around the 25mb mark. I suspect the new v2 firmware with 14bit file RAWs makes the size grow a fair bit.

Correct, however, the difference in detail isn't going to really improve or double just because the file size does. It's still 24mp and the pros of the 14 bit on this specific camera won't outweigh the cons unless you're pushing the file in post. So imo the standard raw size of 24mb is correct and the other is just an after thought.

The 24mp won't resolve better than a dpm.

Correct, however, the difference in detail isn't going to really improve or double just because the file size does. It's still 24mp and the pros of the 14 bit on this specific camera won't outweigh the cons unless you're pushing the file in post. So imo the standard raw size of 24mb is correct and the other is just an after thought.

The 24mp won't resolve better than a dpm.

Agreed, I wasn't expecting a detail improvement with 14 Bit files but just curious about the file size.
Having studied a few RAWs I would say the that there is little point in me switching from my Merrills in favour of the A7 II based on detail resolved, they are quite clearly superior.
I think the A7R II is going to be the only possibility from that point if view. There are of course other factors but......

So come on A7/A7S/A7II/A7RII owners ... show us your images! Lets show other forum members what these little cameras can produce :banana::snaphappy:

Back