The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Oh, forgot this one... my one and only attempt at a Brenizer method shot. Minolta Rokkor 85mm f2 @f2, numerous shots merged. I keep meaning to have another go, may do one day.

Last edited:
So...... went into jessops noticed they had a metabones iv with a7 ii for 1279 which I thought was cheap to start with as would get 100 cashback but then the guy told me that sony had 10 percent off the alpha bodies this week guess who walked out with it for a shade over 1k and has got 100 cashback on the way..... updated metabones and camera to latest firmware used a few canon lenses to check focus ridiculously over exaggerated that it is slow for focus even with my 70 200 2.8 can hardly tell the difference now wow

So...... went into jessops noticed they had a metabones iv with a7 ii for 1279 which I thought was cheap to start with as would get 100 cashback but then the guy told me that sony had 10 percent off the alpha bodies this week guess who walked out with it for a shade over 1k and has got 100 cashback on the way..... updated metabones and camera to latest firmware used a few canon lenses to check focus ridiculously over exaggerated that it is slow for focus even with my 70 200 2.8 can hardly tell the difference now wow

Interesting to hear about the Canon AF performance on the A7ii as much was said about the A7rII but not much about the a7! There's a few cheap used Canon lenses that I think would complement an A7ii nicelybwhere there aren't really a lot of Sony equivalents.

Great stuff.

Do you plan to add any native or legacy lenses? Spare battery maybe?

Interesting to hear about the Canon AF performance on the A7ii as much was said about the A7rII but not much about the a7! There's a few cheap used Canon lenses that I think would complement an A7ii nicelybwhere there aren't really a lot of Sony equivalents.
One cheap Canon lens I can think of is the 20-35mm usm.

You need to a) Make sure the lens is compatible and b) Some lenses are very slow / useless from what I understand.

the focus wasn't great until firmware updated to 2.0 and then I updated the metabones iv to the latest firmware to take advantage of 2.0 on the a7 ii

honestly night and day difference totoally unexpected I have 6 lenses ( maybe i got lucky that my lenses are compatible etc) have tried sigma art 35mm 50mm and 70-200 f2.8 is and a few other l lenses and they all work fantastically baring in mind I'm inside as its raining and light is low I really really am over the moon at it

he threw a spare battery in .............. I went on amazon have bought a few new sd cards a dual ex pro charger with 2 more batteries so will have 4 in the end

lens wise I might be tempted to try a native one but I'm shocked how good the af is with my canons I really am

the focus wasn't great until firmware updated to 2.0 and then I updated the metabones iv to the latest firmware to take advantage of 2.0 on the a7 ii

honestly night and day difference totoally unexpected I have 6 lenses ( maybe i got lucky that my lenses are compatible etc) have tried sigma art 35mm 50mm and 70-200 f2.8 is and a few other l lenses and they all work fantastically baring in mind I'm inside as its raining and light is low I really really am over the moon at it

Thats because they were using contrast detect AF, the new Sony FW updates it to use Phase with EF/s lenses. Whats your exposure in low light?

twist yep read up about the firmware when I tired in shop it was v1.21 I believe got one out of stock updated when I got home with it very happy .....even in this dark light

twist yep read up about the firmware when I tired in shop it was v1.21 I believe got one out of stock updated when I got home with it very happy .....even in this dark light

Cool, be good if they push it to the original A7 but Im not to sure they will.

Hope you have put it away for Santa:beer:

Canon 100mm macro l lens arrived today.
Just waiting for the fotodiox adapter to arrive now. I know I'll only get manual focus- but that's fine for macro. Interested to see the results on the a7rii.
I've very nearly replaced all my nikon glass now. At a huge loss of course.

Canon 100mm macro l lens arrived today.
Just waiting for the fotodiox adapter to arrive now. I know I'll only get manual focus- but that's fine for macro. Interested to see the results on the a7rii.
I've very nearly replaced all my nikon glass now. At a huge loss of course.

How will you stop the Canon lens down?

tbh if I didn't get such a good deal on the metabones I heard commlite was nearly as good

Agreed, I wasn't expecting a detail improvement with 14 Bit files but just curious about the file size.
Having studied a few RAWs I would say the that there is little point in me switching from my Merrills in favour of the A7 II based on detail resolved, they are quite clearly superior.
I think the A7R II is going to be the only possibility from that point if view. There are of course other factors but......

a7r1 might be slightly better, but bayer wont give you that hyper detailed look that merrils do. better dynamic range and iso though

I always thought the lack of canon dr was exaggerated cant lie this a7 ii is in a different league fair play

Fotodiox adapter (canon to e mount) arrived today. Well built, but no caps??

Tried it on the canon 100mm l macro. Autofocus is terrible. Granted I've have only tried it indoors but looks like I'll be sticking to manual focus. Not quite sure how Brian Smith Came to the conclusion that it's "fast and accurate" autofocus.

Tried it on the canon 100mm l macro. Autofocus is terrible. Granted I've have only tried it indoors but looks like I'll be sticking to manual focus. Not quite sure how Brian Smith Came to the conclusion that it's "fast and accurate" autofocus.

Perhaps because he's on sonys payroll.

Mate switch the af to phase only.

Back